Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How long for a stress fracture to heal?

Clearly every case is different, but I'm wondering what other people have experienced.  My orthopedist is pretty sure I have a stress fracture at the top of my tibia and said to take a few weeks off from running until it doesn't hurt anymore.  I had been training for a 10 mile race, working up to about 20-25 miles / week, almost exclusively on a treadmill.  It's been a few weeks and it still hurts a lot.  If it's still hurting by the end of the week, I'll go back to the doctor again, but curious what others have experienced in terms of healing time.  TIA! 

Re: How long for a stress fracture to heal?

• is this a sports med ortho?  just take a few weeks off until it feels better sounds like something a non-sports med ortho would say.  

my ortho recently evaluated me for a stress fracture.  I don't have one but I was told to expect 6-8 healing time/time off running.

did you get an MRI or an x-ray or anything? 

• image ebeth_msn:

is this a sports med ortho?  just take a few weeks off until it feels better sounds like something a non-sports med ortho would say.  

my ortho recently evaluated me for a stress fracture.  I don't have one but I was told to expect 6-8 healing time/time off running.

did you get an MRI or an x-ray or anything? 

He is a sports med ortho - he gave me some other exercises to do and said to keep walking on the treadmill and doing other non-impact exercise in the mean time (and to come back in a week or two if it wasn't better).  Sounds like if it is a stress fracture it's not too serious.  They did take x-rays, but wanted to wait a week or two before ordering an MRI. Nothing definitive showed up on the x-ray, but they said with a stress fracture that the second x-ray in a few weeks would truly help to evaluate (to see any changes in the bone).  I've had 2 operations on this knee because of a skiing injury, so my knee is pretty messed up already and I just don't want to risk further damage.