October 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

ergonomics

Hey ladies.  Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on office ergonomics.  I had a weird position change fiasco in the summer and got moved to a tiny work space.  When I had my first day in the new space there wasn't a chair so I asked our engineering dept to see if they could find one in storage.  The one they found is definitely not a good chair.  I feel that the combo between the desk and the chair are aggrivating my body.  I'm 32 and I'm stiff and sore in my back and neck WAY more than I feel I should be for someone who's physically active and teaches PiYo and dance on the side. 

My mom and I were out yesterday and she was asking about my work situation and I was telling her the work space was my only real complaint at this point -- that everything else had worked out.  She said to be careful because she's known a couple people who have had permanent damage due to poor ergonomics.  That statement kinda worried me.  I'm going to pull out one of those charts off the internet today to see about proper sitting, distance from the computer monitor, keyboard etc...  All I've ever really seen are those charts. Have any of you ever seen or heard anything else?  I'm wondering if there's something along the lines of "Lower back discomfort could mean ______ is wrong."

I'm trying not to get carried away with my thinking but the timing of things getting worse physically lines up with this change so it's hard not to think it's at least partially because of the work situation.  

Re: ergonomics

• I feel your pain...literally.

I have the worst desk & chair in my office.  I am always having problems w/ my left lower neck/shoulder muscle hurting.  And I always fight carpal tunnel b/c the chair won't adjust much to give my wrist a good angle.

Unfortunately for me asking for a new chair (which I think would help tremendously for me) will take forever.  Ex: I asked for a screen door to be put on my balcony door so in the spring I could have the door open.  Eight years later it JUST came in.  That is how slow things get done around here.  Its so frustrating, but I think I'm going to mention it to my dad (who also works in my office) and see if he can get the boss to agree to a new chair sooner than later.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • It totally makes a difference!  You can get tendinitis and other fun stuff if you aren't adjusted properly.  That being said - my chair sucks too and my desk is totally not the right height.  I should have a keyboard tray but then my chair would have to sit lower and I'd have my chin on the table.  One of my co-workers just brought in an exercise ball to sit on during the day because she had been having back issues. 
  • image 101709lovey:

Unfortunately for me asking for a new chair (which I think would help tremendously for me) will take forever. 

Yeah, here too... unless I have doctor's note saying there are issues I'll probably be gone before I can get something new without bringing it in on my own. 

• image wittyschaffy:
    One of my co-workers just brought in an exercise ball to sit on during the day because she had been having back issues. 

I've thought about that... maybe I'll look into it more.  Does she use the ball all day or just part of the day? 

• I think it is probably 50/50 for how often she uses it.  I've considered it too because I NEVER sit against the back of my chair because it is so far away from the seat and not adjustable.  I have better posture not using it and since I sit that way anyway, it wouldn't be such a big deal to switch to a ball.  Plus it makes you actually use your core muscles - probably not a problem for dancer you but for cube-bound worker bee me that is huge.