September 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

vera bradley

over on F&B they're talking about if vera bradley is in or out or was never in at all.

what do you guys think?
does anyone on here use them?

i've used them for the past 7 years or so.
they were HUGE where i grew up and have just kept using them...i actually like some of the patterns and bag styles.  my grandfather gave me one for christmas as a matter of fact.  not too many "older woman" around where i live use them.  i don't see too many people out and about with them where i live now compared to where i grew up.

image Anniversary

Re: vera bradley

• I would say they were definitely in for a while, though I never got on board with that trend and I didn't understand how someone could charge that much for a bag that I could have sewn myself, usually in an ugly grandma pattern.

I think some of the colors and patterns are okay for smaller items, but the majority are pretty bad and regardless, they're over-priced.  I still see them occasionally and I do know some younger people who still buy them, ranging in age from 13-20.  It seems like the fabric options have actually gotten better, which is funny since they're now less popular than they were when I was in college.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Where I grew up, they were a big deal. I definitely had more than my fair share of them. I pretty much had every bag in the "sherbert" collection and still use the large duffle bag all.the.time. I used a tote bag all through college and ended up wearing out the handles. I haven't bought one in forever but I do like some of the new styles of purses they've come out with.

Since I'm in a bigger city now, I don't see them nearly as often but they're still around. I tend to see them with younger girls now though.

[url=http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thenest.com/tickers/ttb3b0e.aspx[/img][/url]
  • I didn't notice if it was that popular in my area but I did have one a few years ago. I thought they were insanely expensive but I treated myself with birthday money to buy one.

I did think that it would be a good idea for luggage at airports since they are so brightly colored, but I could never bring myself to pay that much money for one.

I just looked on the site and it looks like they have some tamer colors now and even have solid colors in nylon. I'm not sure if I would want a nylon purse though. 

• When I lived in New England, everyone I knew had one. Not so much in FL. I uses  any of my  purses that I have anymore but I still use my weekender when I go away or go to the beach.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • they were in for the preppy kids when i was in college...was never a fan.  i would maybe get a VB laptop bag, but thats about it.  also maybe a diaper bag.  the style of them seems more "mature" than i like my regular handbags to be.
  • I should add - they seemed to be at their peak popularity when I was in college, 2002-2006.  I went to a preppy liberal arts school full of snobby rich kids and 99% of the girls there owned at least a few VB bags.  I'm not sure if the ridiculous atmosphere at my school contributed to the unnatural popularity of the bags; they may not have been as popular elsewhere.
  • The name sounded familiar but I had no idea what they were. I went to the website and I don't think I have ever seen anyone around here with one of those.
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • My sister got into them when she was in a sorority (15 years ago??), so I lol'd at the poster who called them a southern sorority girl thing.  They're NMS, but my sister still uses one for a makeup bag.  I like the idea of it being machine washable. 

• Also, there is a kind of funny distribution of ages that carry them.  I'll see peole with them at the airport a lot - either college-age girls, or 50ish women.  Nothing in between.
  • this is the tote i got for christmas

i guess i didn't realize how out of the loop i was about these...oh well, i still like them

image Anniversary
  • What is vera bradley?  I just googled it and those bags are NMS.  I've seen them around but didn't know they were popular. 

My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • JenO - you should NOT feel 'out of the loop.'  Don't judge what you like based off some posters on a message board for people who self-identify as being interested in Fashion & Beauty.  Have you seen some of the crap they post on the OOTD posts, etc?  Some is definitely NMS, and probably not yours either. 

I'm a big believer that everybody gets to like what they like and shouldn't feel bad about it. 

I think the tote you got for Christmas is really cute, I just don't wear a lot of color on the daily, and I have to dress conservatively for work, so that bleeds over to my personal life as well.

• image mushE:

JenO - you should NOT feel 'out of the loop.'  Don't judge what you like based off some posters on a message board for people who self-identify as being interested in Fashion & Beauty. 

Yes

I have to say, these are NMS.  The only person I've ever seen carry one is my mom, and I'm not loving the patterns she owns.  I always just assumed they were old lady bags since I only ever saw my mom with one.

I might consider a make up bag or something, but probably not much else.

Then again, I'm carrying the same PacSun purse that I've had since sophomore year of college, which was...not recently. So I may  not be the best judge of purse fashion. :-P

Vacation

Vacation
  • image mushE:

JenO - you should NOT feel 'out of the loop.'  Don't judge what you like based off some posters on a message board for people who self-identify as being interested in Fashion & Beauty.  Have you seen some of the crap they post on the OOTD posts, etc?  Some is definitely NMS, and probably not yours either. 

This! 

They really aren't my style.  Like Laura said, I think they are also overpriced for what they are.  I have seen a few patterns in recent years that I've thought were cute and I would wear it for awhile, but I personally can't see spending the money for it.  I do like Coach and they are definitely more expensive, but I think its all about what you like and your personal style is.

BTW, I think the one you got for Christmas is pretty. 

Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • I own a small vera bradley collection: two tote bags, a duffle/overnight bag, a glasses case, a makeup bag, a jewelry carrying case, a cosmetics bag, and one of those school ID holder things.  I used the two totes ALL the time in college (I went to school in NYC, also full of preppy rich kids who carried them around all the time on campus) but not really anymore.  The duffle bag I use as my overnight bag still when I go to NYC for the weekend, as well as the makeup and cosmetics bag.   The glasses case is currently in my purse =).  I still really love all the patterns I chose.

I've noticed they have fallen out of popularity a bit.  Even when I was in college, I noticed those falling out of style just as those LongChamps bags were becoming "in."

Oh, the ebbs and flows of fashion trends lol

"Imperfection is beauty; madness is genious. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" ~ Marilyn Monroe <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="D
  • Jen - for one thing, you should like what you like regardless of what other people think, especially people on a message board.  I personally HATE peep-toe booties but they're 'fashionable', so it's just a matter of taste.  Furthermore, the style and pattern of the bag you posted is very cute IMO (not that my opinion should matter) - Vera Bradley has upped her game, and that bag doesn't look like something I could make at home.

Personally I think they're too expensive for fabric bags, but I don't judge how people spend their money and we've definitely had THAT discussion on this board before.  And someone mentioned, the fact that they're washable is pretty nice, so I could see that being a big selling point for a lot of people.

• dont get me wrong, i like what i like and i dont plan on changing my views on vera.  i just didnt realize so many people didn't know what it was or didn't care for it that's all.
    image Anniversary
  • image JenO24:
    dont get me wrong, i like what i like and i dont plan on changing my views on vera.  i just didnt realize so many people didn't know what it was or didn't care for it that's all.

Well that's good then!  I think that a lot of people have seen it but don't recognize the name, plus it does seem to be popular with certain groups and in certain regions so that might explain why some people have never heard of it.  I haven't seen much of it since college, so if I were younger (and missed the trend in college) or had I gone to a different school I might not recognize the name even though Jeff's little cousin loves it.

• I've probably got about 20 different Vera bags. I work for Hallmark and the store I used to work at in college sold them, so I got a pretty decent discount on them. I hated them when they first came in, but from working with them, I got used to them and fell in love. Granted, I haven't bought one in probably 2 years now, I still use the ones I have since they are washable and hold up really nicely. I've been debating on buying a diaper bag in a newer pattern for my LO. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Married My Best Friend on 9/17/2010