Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Our flight with Allegiant (dear God, this is long)

I'm normally a big fan of Allegiant and we've flown them 20+ times to Las Vegas and Florida, but they really dropped the ball in every possible aspect yesterday on the return flight to Grand Rapids from Punta Gorda (Ft Myers area). I'm sure we'll fly them again because nothing like this has ever happened to us with them, and I feel bad complaining (but I'm going to anyway) because I know with the horrible weather lately, people have had it much worse than we did yesterday.

First the flight was delayed in landing because of fog. Now I'm on board with that -- I was driving back to the airport from our hotel in Naples, and I can vouch for the fog. I have no issue with the fog excuse. The pilot instead landed (with a plane full of passengers from Grand Rapids) in St Pete to wait it out. I'm good with that. What I hate is the lying and deception (intentional or not) from the airline staff. If you don't know when the plane is going to arrive, say you don't know when the plane is going to arrive. Don't tell us it'll be here in 45 minutes because the pilot finally felt the fog had lifted enough and just took off from St Pete. It really pisses us off when, an hour and a half later, you tell us that the pilot still hasn't taken off but should be in the air within the next half hour or so. Have a nice flight, people flying to Niagara Falls. It was nice sharing this very tiny space with you for two hours.

So the pilot finally lands, the passengers disembark, we go to load up, and people are being turned away from the plane. Mechanical problems, more delay. Again, I'm good with the mechanical problems. I have no issue with that excuse either. Safety first and all that. It's the lying and deception again. "Oh, we'll have an update to you on the condition of the plane in 20 minutes." An hour and a half later we see the flight crew leave the plane, close the door, and get into cars and drive away. At least a half hour after that, we're finally told that that plane won't be flying today and Allegiant is trying to scare up a different plane to come pick us up. We'll know more in an hour and we'll definitely keep you updated. Have a nice flight, people flying to Greensboro. It was nice sharing this very tiny space with you for two hours.

Now Punta Gorda is a very small airport with one gate. They say it's two but they're like 15 feet apart from each other and labeled 1A and 1B. There are no jetways -- you walk outside on the tarmac and up the rolling ramp/steps to get on/off the plane. The entire building is the size of my high school gymnasium. There's a closet that was turned into a snack shop and that guy's having the greatest day of his life in there, selling $6 saran-wrapped handmade sandwiches. The only fresh air we get (other than leaving and going through security again) is when the other flights are loading passengers and they have to open the doors for them to go outside to the tarmac.

By now, other people are calling and having family members at home call Allegiant to find out WTF is going on, since we're being kept out of the loop. Oh, don't worry, they've located a plane at Sanford (Orlando area) and it's on the way, the plane will be landing in 45 minutes and your loved ones will be in the air in no time flat. This is from the Allegiant staff.

Two hours later, we're told that they're still trying to find an extra airplane for us to use, and hopefully one will be coming from Sanford in the next hour or two. Have a nice flight, people flying to Lexington. It was nice sharing this very tiny space with you for two hours.

The stupid plane from Sanford finally comes, and an hour or two later (I caught up on most of season 4 of 30 Rock on Netflix because I parked my fat ass next to an outlet and DH plugged his iPod into my netbook) they announce that boarding will start -- on the original plane that had all the mechanical problems earlier. That's right, they were able to fix it after all. And the really good news is, Allegiant is giving us all $25 vouchers good for our next flight on Allegiant.

Now, the woman behind us on the plane tells us that when her mother called Allegiant's customer service number, they told her that they (Allegiant) had taken great care of its stranded passengers -- why, they ordered us all pizzas and had beverages brought in and everything! You know, except that they didn't. They didn't even offer us a bottle of water.

So the head stewardess (normally I'd call them flight attendants, but today they're lucky I'm not calling them air whores) apologizes for the delay, talks about the wonderful $25 vouchers, and laughs when somebody asks if we'll get free drinks or food on the plane.

A little while later she soberly apologizes and says that she didn't realize that Allegiant provided us with zero service while we were stranded in the airport and that's not their normal standard of service. And no, we can't comp snacks, you still need to pay for those; nope, we can't comp alcoholic beverages, you'll still have to pay for those too; we can comp water, juice and soda, but you won't get a full can because we didn't stock enough for everybody to get a full can of soda -- unless you pay full price for it; then we have enough. You will get a cup of soda for free though on each beverage pass.

All told, a nine-hour delay with Allegiant gets you a $25 voucher good for your next Allegiant flight and two free cups of soda.

Clearly I just needed to vent. Like I said, we'll probably fly them again in the future since this the first time this has happened to us on their airline.

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.

Re: Our flight with Allegiant (dear God, this is long)

• I have no experience with this airline, but I would taking your story and sending it straight to customer service.

And if they ignore you then I would utilize some social networking either posting it on the FB page or tweeting to them.

We can all understand delays, but to lie about the fact that you were being taken care of with pizza and weren't, put me over the edge for you.

• I agree with you.  Things like this happen when you travel.  We get it.  But just tell us what you know.  Don't tell us it's going to be a 1 hour wait when you know in fact it's going to be 4+.

(normally I'd call them flight attendants, but today they're lucky I'm not calling them air whores) - totally made me lol!

• You should absolutely contact the airline and complain about the experience.  This is how I've gotten $400 and $500 vouchers from AA.  Granted, I had to be verbally abused to get those beauties, but still.  $25 is not cutting it for this mess, IMO.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Complain complain complain.  Even better, if Allegiant has a Facebook or Twitter page, C&P this on there.  Our customer service/marketing teams spends a LOT of time reading the FB and Twitter feeds because it's ALL public, and having a public complaint like you stated can get picked up by the media and then it's a PR issue as well.

Unless you air your grievances, they won't know.  I mean, I'm sure they know, but as a customer, you have to really push it.

As far as the Mx (maintenance) goes, it's hard to tell.  Sometimes it's an engine or systems issue and it can take longer than anticipated.  And if the Mx crew doesn't know what's wrong, and aren't sure they can fix it, they have to call for a swap (airplane swap).  And by the time a swap gets in, the problem could already be fixed.

As far as the in-flight crew goes, it is completely unacceptable for them to tell you that they would provide food to you and then go back on that.  It's an irritation to you as a customer and a poor reflection of the staff.  If something that happened is NOT the normal standard of service, then start making up for it, so your customers are less irate.

Sorry your flight sucked :-( 

I swim because I'm too damned sexy for a sport that requires real clothing.
  • image roar:

Complain complain complain.  Even better, if Allegiant has a Facebook or Twitter page, C&P this on there.  Our customer service/marketing teams spends a LOT of time reading the FB and Twitter feeds because it's ALL public, and having a public complaint like you stated can get picked up by the media and then it's a PR issue as well.

Okay, dumb this down for me. I have a Twitter account but I just use it to follow people I fangirl; I almost never post tweets. How do I post that to their Twitter page? I'm pretty sure I'm over the 140-character limit up there. ;) Are you saying just copy and post all of that, 140 characters at a time?

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • image zitiqueen:
    image roar:

Complain complain complain.  Even better, if Allegiant has a Facebook or Twitter page, C&P this on there.  Our customer service/marketing teams spends a LOT of time reading the FB and Twitter feeds because it's ALL public, and having a public complaint like you stated can get picked up by the media and then it's a PR issue as well.

Okay, dumb this down for me. I have a Twitter account but I just use it to follow people I fangirl; I almost never post tweets. How do I post that to their Twitter page? I'm pretty sure I'm over the 140-character limit up there. ;) Are you saying just copy and post all of that, 140 characters at a time?

Not sure... I don't have a twitter account, but can you link this post on a twitter feed?  And does Allegiant have a twitter/FB feed you can link this and your complaint to?

I swim because I'm too damned sexy for a sport that requires real clothing.
  • image zitiqueen:
    image roar:

You could post something like:

"Most recent flight with Allegiant Airlines a disaster! Read here: (and then give a link to this post)"

Short and sweet. Maybe add the hashtag #Allegiant at the end, in case they have a search set up for that hashtag. I couldn't find an official Allegiant account on Twitter...if they do have one and you know what it is, I'd include their "@" name in the tweet.

• sorry it sucked. 9 hours is a long delay. eh-i wouldn't be so miffed about the pizza-FL pizza sucks anyway :) they should've brought you water, snacks, etc.. though.

there have been a few times where i've had weather/mech delays and they suck but i realized that the people at the counters aren't trying to be liars-really-they're only relaying the info they get from others.

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • image alithebride:

sorry it sucked. 9 hours is a long delay. eh-i wouldn't be so miffed about the pizza-FL pizza sucks anyway :) they should've brought you water, snacks, etc.. though.

there have been a few times where i've had weather/mech delays and they suck but i realized that the people at the counters aren't trying to be liars-really-they're only relaying the info they get from others.

I sencond this. I would still complain via facebook/twitter/or email, but try to cut the gate people a little slack, they are just the messengers 99% of the time.

Sorry you had a bad time though.

• Yes, I would definitely complain.  The issues with the fog, mechanical issues, etc are not a reflection of Allegiant, but their lack of consistent and accurate communication most definitely is.

Just so you know...the Pilot isn't the one making any of those decisions.  His or her job is to get the plane in the air when ATC tells him to, and put the plane on the ground safely.  He doesn't make decisions whether to fly the plane in fog, or whether to have the plane fixed or get a new plane.  That is all out of his control.  He/She isn't even FLYING the plane while it's in the air.  And the flight attendants have even less information than the gate agents.  They also have no control over any of it.  I know it sucks that the flight attendants couldn't give out extra snacks and soda, etc, but they really aren't authorized to overextend their supply.

Scary that they are our only hope in a case of crisis, but they have more decision making power if a crisis happens than they do in handing out free snacks.

• image MIGal2008:

Yes, I would definitely complain.  The issues with the fog, mechanical issues, etc are not a reflection of Allegiant, but their lack of consistent and accurate communication most definitely is.

Just so you know...the Pilot isn't the one making any of those decisions.  His or her job is to get the plane in the air when ATC tells him to, and put the plane on the ground safely.  He doesn't make decisions whether to fly the plane in fog, or whether to have the plane fixed or get a new plane.  That is all out of his control.  He/She isn't even FLYING the plane while it's in the air.  And the flight attendants have even less information than the gate agents.  They also have no control over any of it.  I know it sucks that the flight attendants couldn't give out extra snacks and soda, etc, but they really aren't authorized to overextend their supply.

Scary that they are our only hope in a case of crisis, but they have more decision making power if a crisis happens than they do in handing out free snacks.

And I understand all of this. My issue isn't with the pilots, the air whores, the gate people, or air traffic control. Somebody higher up than these people was making these decisions.

Somebody was telling the gate chick to tell us we'd have an update in 20 minutes, knowing full well we wouldn't.

Somebody was telling the people answering phones at Allegiant's offices to tell our family members that a back-up plane was in the air and on the way, knowing full well that it wasn't.

Somebody was telling the people answering phones at Allegiant's offices to tell our family members that the stranded passengers were being taken care of with food and drink, knowing full well that we weren't.

And finally, somebody at Allegiant's offices sat back and decided that, even after all of that, a $25 voucher that probably won't get used by most people since they'll never fly Allegiant again and 12 ounces of soda was adequate compensation for a nine-hour delay.

That's who I have the problem with. Honestly, I'm not so ignorant as to think that the people on the front lines are the ones making all these decisions.