Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Amsterdam/Paris with a 1 year old? Any help/advice welcome!

My best friend is moving to Amsterdam with her husband and 1 year old daughter. We are hoping to visit them in September (my son will be 1 year old at that point).

Has anyone attempted a trip like this? We'd be hopefully stopping in Munich for 2 nights to visit friends we met on our honeymoon, then continuing onto Amsterdam. We'd stay with our friends in Amsterdam, and then take a train over to Paris for 3 nights maybe? This is all very preliminary! I have only been to Europe once, Greece, for our honeymoon.

Are places in Amsterdam/Paris kid-friendly? I'm sure we'll be eating out, having a drink, shopping, sight-seeing, etc with the baby...I just don't know if they are open to bringing kids out with you! I'd probably bring my big stroller so we could easily stay on foot in the main cities.

If anyone's done a trip like this I'd love to hear about it! :) Thanks in advance!

Re: Amsterdam/Paris with a 1 year old? Any help/advice welcome!

• I've been to both Amsterdam and Paris, but not with a one year old. However, we have traveled internationally with our DS. I would assume Amsterdam and Paris are as kid-friendly, if not more so, than the cities we've taken DS to. I've found that DS is getting more difficult to travel with, not easier, so going around the age of one is ideal. As your son gets older, he'll probably have a harder time sitting on the plane, etc.

When we travel outside the US, I bring a thermometer and motrin. It may seem like overkill but I don't want to be searching in the middle of the night in a foreign city for these things if my child is running a fever. I also bring an inflatable bath tub. It takes up almost no space and weighs very little and I don't have to worry about how clean the hotel bath tub is. If you are staying with friends or not as germophobic as me, this is probably unnecessary.

I love my MacLaren Techno umbrella stroller. It's super sturdy, reclines fully so DS can nap on the go, and it's lightweight. I also bring my Ergo baby carrier because a lot of museums, churches, and other sites in Europe do not allow strollers. Also, navigating subways and the cobblestone streets that are so common in Europe can be difficult with a stroller. 

As far as activities, when DS was a year old, we did not seek out any activities specific to him. He just tagged along on our sight-seeing. Now that he's older, we usually try to incorporate at least one activity each day for him, like a playground, aquarium or zoo.

I really think you'll find that the trip is a lot easier than you anticipated. Have a great time!

ETA: Jet lag has been a problem for us. DS is not a great sleeper to begin with so anything that messes with his schedule is a real issue. For us, this is the most difficult part of international travel with DS but we just go with it. We let him sleep whenever and wherever he wants. We've found that it's fruitless to try to get him on a new schedule if our trip is less than 10 days. If he's up in the middle of the night, DH and I take turns staying awake with him while the other one sleeps.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Creeper weed. I suggest nose hits.
    fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • Blog on things to do with Kids in Amsterdam:

http://theatkinsonsinamsterdam.blogspot.com/2011/01/january-is-going-to-be-amsterdam-month.html

How to handle baby jet lag:

http://theatkinsonsinamsterdam.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-avoid-toddler-jet-lag.html

Munich with a toddler:

http://theatkinsonsinamsterdam.blogspot.com/2010/08/summer-adventures-munich.html

Paris with a toddler:

http://theatkinsonsinamsterdam.blogspot.com/2010/07/meri-paris.html

Europe is incredibly child friendly BUT there aren't a ton of changing tables around.  We usually seek out a McDonald's because they always have changing tables.  We've gotten into changing his diapers pretty much where ever we are!

• image zitiqueen:
    Creeper weed. I suggest nose hits.

You can take weed up your nose? 

• image twopeasinapod:

image zitiqueen:

Kind of like shotgunning, but up your nose instead. It's so hard to teach the under-one crowd to inhale on demand.

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • image zitiqueen:
    image twopeasinapod:

image zitiqueen:

Kind of like shotgunning, but up your nose instead. It's so hard to teach the under-one crowd to inhale on demand.

My son is almost three.  I'm sure by now he can figure it out.  Or I'll just put it under his nose while he's sleeping.  He sucks a lot of air in when snoring.

Thanks for the tip!