D.C. Area Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

good flat iron?

I've decided that all my hair woes will be cured if I get use a flat iron to style it (not just blow drying straight). Any recommendations? I'm looking in the $50 range. I browsed Amazon but have no idea what I'm looking for, honestly. TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: good flat iron?

• not $50 but i've loved my sedu irons. i've ordered both from folica.com and they have great customer service. you can probably google coupon codes and get another 15-20% off.
  • In that price range i'd recommend Hot Tools.  If you get a 1-inch one, you can also curl your hair... but if you just want to straighten your hair, and its longer than shoulder length, i'd get a 3 inch one.
  • I have a 3" Rusk ceramic, ionic straightener that I love for my very long, thick hair.  I've had it for 3+ years and haven't had any problems.  The 1 1/2" one is cheaper on Amazon but still $85.

http://www.amazon.com/Rusk-Professional-Ceramic-Straightening-Straightener/dp/B00380086A 

A really good straightener will retail for at least $1-200.  You can find them discounted on folica or Ulta or Amazon, but if you want something that will last it is probably worth the investment. 

White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • image maryandkirk0909:

A really good straightener will retail for at least $1-200.  You can find them discounted on folica or Ulta or Amazon, but if you want something that will last it is probably worth the investment. 

I agree. It's above your budget, but I have this CHI from Overstock and I love it. Works great, doesn't damage my hair, makes it really easy for me to look put together quickly in the morning. http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beauty/Farouk-Systems-GF1001NS-CHI-1-inch-Digital-Nano-Ceramic-Hair-Iron/3917947/product.html

• Another vote for Sedu here, it's well worth the extra cost. I also got mine from folica.com when they were having one of their sales and spent about $80. You can also check out TJ Maxx or Marshalls - they usually have a couple higher-end flat irons in stock (although it's hit or miss).
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • On the F&B Board, Chi and Sedu are the two most highly rec. I have a Sedu and love it.
  • I have fine hair. I use an In Styler. Its great. I got mine on ebay for about $60.
  • I love my BabyBliss ( I think thats what it is ) that I got from TJMaxx for $25 - my friend swears by her Chi.

I don't flat iron everyday ( maybe once a month ? ) so my investment is minimal. 

• I have a Ceramic Tools flat iron and really like it. It had the best ratings for an inexpensive iron at the time I was looking.

I know Chi and Sedu get all the best ratings, but I only use it a few times a month and was not interested in making that kind of investment, especially since my hair is like yours and relatively straight and well behaved to begin with.

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Wow, see, I had no idea I might need to spend that much . . . I clearly no nothing about flat irons. Thanks for the tips!

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Chi is the very best you can get em cheaper on ebay! It is so worth it to buy up though. I used to always buy cheaper ones and they lasted 6-12 mos like clock work. The Chi is faster at doing hair (time=money) AND has lasted 4+ years
    For more info visit my blog: http://shockinglydomestic.com
  • Ditto the Chi. I've had mine for at least 5 years and it is still going strong. It was worth the investment.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • It is really worth it to spend the money on a good one.  I bought cheaper ones and they never worked well and broke easily.  I bought a CHI 1" about a year ago on folica.com (ended up being $70 with a coupon I had and free shipping) and it is awesome!
  • BTW, I don't know what your hair woes are, but if you have problems with friz or weird waviness, I highly recommend getting a professional keratin treatment.  I got one in October and it is still working well.  My hair has never been easier to do - I can simply blow dry (not style) and it looks good.  If I flat iron after drying I can get three days without washing.  I have had the Keratin Complex treatment.  It is expensive, but SO worth it!  My hair is smooth, shiny and never frizzy!