September 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

case of the mondays

I can't believe it's already Monday...again. Sad
My weekend was ok...nothing spectacular happened.  I made my yummy white chicken chili, which made me happy.  Don worked so I spent my time cleaning, doing laundry, and catching up on my shows.  We're thinking about cutting our cable and using Hulu and Netflix...it'll be a big change and adjustment when we do.

The work week drags and the weekends fly by...it's seriously so unfair!

Can you believe tomorrow is Feb?
What's everyone doing for Valentine's Day?

image Anniversary

Re: case of the mondays

• Ha I waited before I posted my Monday thread and you beat me! I've been dying to make some white chicken chili but have yet to make it. Maybe this week.

January has flown by and I have no idea what we're doing for V-day. He wants to go to his hometown the weekend before, which I'm dreading, so probably just a nice dinner type thing on the 14th. Nothing big.

[url=http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thenest.com/tickers/ttb3b0e.aspx[/img][/url]
  • Weekend was kind of craptacular.  Started with 'family girls game night' on Friday w/ MIL, SIL, NieceIL, CousinIL and AuntIL.  The five of them proceeded to bash me (in front of me) in their so-sweet-it-makes-you-sick way.  In particular I enjoyed how MIL and AuntIL told me I'll be flabby after the JB arrives.  um, duh?  But thanks for pointing it out to me!  Doubt I'll be joining them again anytime soon.

Got cleaning, laundry & errands done Saturday, burned peanuts when I tried to roast them, and made a lovely dinner of roast chicken & fixins - then barely ate two bites.  On Sunday, had lunch with a friend & got to meet her 4-month-old son (so adorable) and then went to a Party Lyte (sp?) candle party.  Love/hate those parties - hate that I get so overwhelmed with the catalogs, but love when I get my presents a few weeks later!!  We'll see if these candles really are any better than Yankees - or if they're just a lot of hype.

No Vday plans to speak of - we're both kind of anti-Vday.  Happier to have a nice dinner @ home than overpay for flowers/dinner out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked. PersonalMilestone
  • image SusieQ1981:

Weekend was kind of craptacular.  Started with 'family girls game night' on Friday w/ MIL, SIL, NieceIL, CousinIL and AuntIL.  The five of them proceeded to bash me (in front of me) in their so-sweet-it-makes-you-sick way.  In particular I enjoyed how MIL and AuntIL told me I'll be flabby after the JB arrives.  um, duh?  But thanks for pointing it out to me!  Doubt I'll be joining them again anytime soon.

seriously...wow!
    how rude!!!
    did you say anthing back to them?

im so thankful don doesn't have a relationship w/ him mom!  his sister and 1 of his aunts is enough for me to handle...ive had to put them in their place one too many times as it is!

image Anniversary
  • hey ladies!

I agree about the weekends flying by and the week days taking forever!!!  Maybe that's just a part of growing up and being an adult.  Either way, it sucks!

Susie-  did you say anything to them?!?!  I would have snapped back with something, blaming it on hormones.  Duh, do they not think that most pregnant women usually think about that stuff at some point!  How far along are you?  I can't remember...

My weekend was interesting.  I did an ice fishing tournament with hubby and a group of 10 other guys.  The lake sucks and no one caught ANYTHING!!  I'm not big into fishing, but i don't mind ice fishing b/c once you set your stuff up, you just hang out with the people you're with and wait.  FIL got hammered and we basically ended up babysitting him all day/night.  Made for a loooooooong day!

Other than that, I made some weight watcher dishes yesterday that way I would have them ready to go this week and I have no excuses!  Made homemade mac n cheese that goes along with weight watchers, and hubby even ate it!  It was delicious!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image moleson99:

Other than that, I made some weight watcher dishes yesterday that way I would have them ready to go this week and I have no excuses!  Made homemade mac n cheese that goes along with weight watchers, and hubby even ate it!  It was delicious!

that sounds so yummy!
    could you share the recipe??? Smile

image Anniversary
  • Here is the recipe.  However, I modified it for myself. 

Here is what I did differently: 

Used wheat noodles (less points)

skipped the onion but added a little onion powder

The only cheeses I used were: 1 8oz package of reduced fat sharp shredded cheddar, 1 8oz package of reduced fat shredded motz. cheese, and shredded parm.

Skipped the bay leaf

Obviously you can modify for your taste too! I was trying to make it less complicated and easy so that's also why i cut out the various cheeses.  Even using all reduced fat, it was delicious and very creamy.

Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
     Favorites     Add to PointsPlus? Tracker     Edit   
    Image of macaroni and cheese

119 people rated this recipe
    Course: main meals
    PointsPlus? Value:    8
    Servings:  9
    Preparation Time:  20 min
    Cooking Time:  48 min
    Level of Difficulty:  Moderate

Here?s a stick-to-your-ribs version of macaroni and cheese that uses four different cheeses for maximum flavor. It?s a hearty serving?well worth the indulgence.

Ingredients

1 spray(s) cooking spray   
    1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste (for cooking pasta)   
    12 oz uncooked macaroni   
    1 Tbsp unsalted butter   
    1 Tbsp all-purpose flour   
    2 1/2 cup(s) low-fat milk   
      2 cup(s) onion(s), finely chopped   
    1/2 tsp paprika   
    2 leaf/leaves bay leaf   
    1/4 cup(s) blue cheese, crumbled   
    5 oz cheddar or colby cheese, shredded (extra-sharp suggested)   
    3 oz low-fat shredded cheddar cheese   
    3/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste   
    3/4 tsp table salt, to taste   
    2 oz Parmesan cheese, finely grated (Parmigiano Reggiano suggested)   

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350?F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.

• Cook macaroni in salted water as directed on package; set aside.

• Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly add flour, stirring constantly; cook for about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk to thoroughly incorporate flour mixture. Stir in onion, paprika and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently; remove from heat.

• Combine blue cheese with about two-thirds of both types of cheddar cheese in saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in macaroni. Pour half of macaroni mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheddar cheeses. Pour in remaining macaroni mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into 9 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.

Notes

• Spice up this recipe with minced jalapeno or toss in chopped roasted red pepper for color (could affect PointsPlus values).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This weekend Jeff got sick with some kind of cold/flu, which was a bummer.  He was up all night, so I was too.  However, it was a good weekend because on Saturday I finally finished my grant proposal (for my graduate school candidacy exams), and Sunday we went out for restaurant week, and it was soooo yummy.

This morning I'm staring at a stack of notebooks, trying to study for my oral exams.  Which still haven't been scheduled because the professors on my committee are a bunch of divas.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Every weekend needs to be 3 days. I'm exhausted as usual. My stupid accounting class is kicking my ass big time. I'm spending 3/4 of my weekend doing work for it. Its crazy.

I'm trying to get motivated at work but its just not happening because I really must have fried my brain over the weekend. I'm just holding out until 12 when H and I get our taxes done. 

I have to come back to work afterward but I'm hoping for good news. 

• JenO & Moleson...there was really no point in saying anything.  They all think they can say whatever they want to me and then play the victim when I get sarcastic back ... "she doesn't like us...wah, wah, wah.'  Plus, I was outnumbered.  I just take the high road...and DH knows about it all and it makes him want to be around them less and less all the time.  If I give them enough rope, they'll hang themselves.  And I can keep my hands clean.  Biitches.

Laura - congrats on finishing your grant!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked. PersonalMilestone
  • image lovethebeach16:

I'm trying to get motivated at work but its just not happening because I really must have fried my brain over the weekend. I'm just holding out until 12 when H and I get our taxes done. 

I have to come back to work afterward but I'm hoping for good news. 

speaking of taxes...
    i'm unbelievably pissed off at how our return is going to turn out!
    don works part time delivering pizzas for pizza hut right...just on the weekends.  well at the beginning of 2010 he was working their part time since he'd been laid off a few months earlier from his full time job.  while he was full time at the hut they were taking taxes out like they should.  in feb he got a full time job so he went back down to part time.  this is his fault, but since he has direct deposit he never ever looks at his pay stubs from there.  well come to find out that when he went back down to part time they stopped taking out taxes for some reason.  so when we put in his W2 on turbo tax...get this, it dropped our federal refund down a whopping $900!  $900, WTF!!!!!  He now has them taking out additional tax from his paychecks so when we file for this year we won't have a repeat.  But OMG, i was beyond upset...not at him, but at the whole situation.  we absolutely cannot catch a break.  we're still waiting on one more W2 for him at a job that he worked at for only a few months last year so i'm thinking that'll bring our amount down even more for federal.  oh, and to top it off...also because of pizza hut we currently owe $200 for state.  i dont even want to file because it makes me so frusterated!!!

sorry, i had to vent when is aw LTB mention taxes...Storm

image Anniversary
  • Jen - Jeff had a huge tax surprise two years ago.  His lab's funding changes, so sometimes his paycheck is non-taxable.  His first year he was non-taxable and then switched over just after the end of the tax year to a taxable funding source - but they didn't start taking out taxes and no one told him about the change.  So for 11 months of his second year, he wasn't paying taxes, and he owed a few thousand dollars at the end of the year.  It was a mess.  Now he just pays quarterly taxes regardless of his funding source; sometimes he gets a really big refund because he's paying double taxes (you can't stop paying quarterly taxes mid-year, even if your situation changes) but it's better than what happened that first time.

I don't make much so I usually only get a couple of hundred back (which I am still really excited about) but last year for some reason I owed $50.  I was sad.

• Jen, if it makes you feel any better H got screwed on state taxes last year. He worked in DE and we live in MD. Since DE state taxes are so much lower than MD taxes, he ended up owing the MD something ridiculous like $1500.

He changed his deductions for this year so that won't happen again (hopefully). 

• This weekend was good. Friday I had to pick up my dad from the airport, his plane was supossed to land at 6:30pm so I got there at 6 (I overestimated the traffic) so I went down to passenger pick up at 6:30 and he never came, it turned 7 and still nothing. Well he finally turns his phone on and calls me at 7:20 and he was just going down to baggage claim. They had a delay because the overhead storage for carry on bags was full so they had to take some people below the plane. So that sucked.

Then Saturday I got to spend all day the my HUSBAND!! This rarely happens due to work. We got up and went and ate lunch (seafood), then went to Macy's so I could get some Clinique face wash and moiturizer (65$...rip off), then to target I needed some stuff for the house(a small plastic box for medicine and iron and ironing board), then we went to starbucks and to wash my car (so needed it!), then went to see my mom she has been sick for like a week and was finally feeling better, then we went to the liquor store and bought stuff to make Mai Tai's and went to his parents house. His mom got alittle tipsy it was so funny.

Sunday I did massive amounts of laundry, then took my dogs to my dads house so they could run around in the back yard instead of being on a leash at my apartment everytime they go outside.

Also, on the tax thing, I went to try to get them done Friday, but I basically have to file with H. Long story, but I really don't want to.

Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Good morning!

My weekend was okay.  Nothing too exciting.  I'm a bit pissed b/c our dishwasher (which is probably about 10-15 years old) quit working.  So now we're in the middle of looking for a new one.  Handwashing dishes this weekend sucked.  I can't take too much of that, but don't want to put out the money for a new one.  Not sure that fixing is worth it at this point for as old as it is.  Poop.

Other than cooking, cleaning, shopping for a dishwasher, I did a whole lotta nothing this weekend.  And loved it.

Also - taxes suck.  I don't think employers should be allowed to just not take taxes out of your pay.  I bet there are a lot of people that get fvcked over that way.  I would never think to double check that my employer was actually taking taxes out.

Vacation

Vacation
  • Boo, Monday again.  I want an extra day of weekend, because I was sick Friday & Saturday.  I missed my weekend away with my parents and sister + family because of it.  They had a really nice time, which is great, but booo! I missed it.

Yesterday we went and got me a new (huge!) dresser from Ikea.  H put it together, which took freaking hours.  We also got matching nightstands, but we'll put those together sometime this week. 

We had the opposite on our taxes.  I finally got my W-2 this weekend and entered it all into TurboTax, and we're ending up getting a much bigger refund than anticipated.  Neither of us changed our tax settings, though, when we got married, as we had no idea what to expect.  Anyway, I'm glad, but we'll be adjusting our withholdings now so that we just have that money throughout the year. 

JenO - how much TV do you guys watch?  Would you do the Hulu paid package, or free?  I wish we could cut cable because we pay such a freaking arm and a leg, but I really like the convenience of just being able to pull up my DVR'd shows whenever I want to.  We did reduce our Netflix to 2 at a time (1 for each of us) when we got our Blu-Ray player. 

• Jen, that sucks about taxes.  I think I'm going too get screwed too if it make you feel any better. 

We are in the middle of redoing our kitchen so this weekend we ran the water line to the fridge and prepped the walls for painting, and also the trim work on the floors.  I had to work Saturday night and I had a bridal shower yesterday so it was up to H to do a lot of that.  Hoping we can paint this week and get the countertop in next week.  I just want my kitchen back, I love cooking and haven't been able to at all this month since we gutted the kitchen the first week of Jan.

School is starting this week.  I took a couple years off and now feel so "old" compared to the late teens/early 20's genre.  H's birthday is on Sunday, so this weekend we'll probably do whatever he wants to do. 

Hope everyone has a great week!

Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • Jen-O, I went from having the deluxe fancy cable option with hbo etc, to not having anything and i am fine with it.  it took about 2 weeks to adjust?  we just watch the shows we want on hulu now, and we dont have to watch commercials or junky tv just because its on!

sunshine, get a new dishwasher--can you wait and get it with your taxes?

as for me, im cranky, bloaty, tired, whiney, and scared about my taxes.  we are both still waiting on our student loan forms to come in before we file.  i hate doing taxes :( 

• we'd pay for hulu and we also are doing a free trial of netflix right now, which we'll probably continue to use especially if we do cut cable.  cutting our cable would save us roughly $100 a month and thats a savings after paying for hulu, netflix, and our internet.

im ready to make the switch but don is a bit more hesitant...we still have about another 2 weeks before our monthly billing cycle ends so we'll see if he comes around...or i might just have to make him!

image Anniversary
  • Sunshine- The whole dishwasher breaking thing happened to us about 3 months ago.... Just buy a new one, most of the time it is MORE expensive to try to fix the old one. Ours was about $400. Good deal.

Everyone mentioning taxes- H just got his W2, and I just got the form for my school loan interest, so we are planning on filing online sometime in the next couple weeks. I am a little worried about how ours are going to turn out b/c H always gets a decent refund, but since I make so little throughout the year, I hope that us being married doesn't affect that much. Hmmm... we'll see.

As far as the weekend-

Friday night I spent working in my craft room while H was working in the garage at a friends house. I have been trying to catch up on all my scrapbooking b/c I got behind with the wedding related crafts.

Saturday was me working 12-9 at my waitress job. Made decent money for once, so that was nice. Had a friend visit and stay the night, haven't seen her in a while, so we chatted and stayed up late.

Sunday was the highlight of the weekend. H and I and a friend went out on the lake to ride our quads on the ice and it was fun. Pictures up on FB. :) Cold, but fun. Then, about dark, another friend who lives in Texas came to visit and we chatted and hung out for a while. H and I stayed up too late watching the news/weather about the snowstorm that's supposed to hit our area Tues/Wed... so I am dragging today.

Probably going grocery shopping tonight to stock up before the storm. Whoo.

[url="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=breastfeeder&utm_medium=ubb&utm_campaign=badges"][img]http://images.thenestbaby.com/badges/tb_sig_ebf.gif [/img][/url]
  • Yeah, the more research I do, the more I think we'll just go for a new middle of the line dishwasher.  They're not *that* expensive.  I'm hoping to either be able to use tax money or maybe find a good financing deal until the tax check arrives and I can pay it off.  I'm spoiled and not sure how much longer I can do the handwashing dishes thing since our sink is tiny.

With the quitting cable thing - I would LOVE to do that, but for us, it costs almost as much for internet + Hulu + Netflix as it would for the whole bundled deal of cable + phone + internet.  Where are you pricing internet alone that it's so cheap??

Vacation

Vacation
  • image JenO24:

we'd pay for hulu and we also are doing a free trial of netflix right now, which we'll probably continue to use especially if we do cut cable.  cutting our cable would save us roughly $100 a month and thats a savings after paying for hulu, netflix, and our internet.

im ready to make the switch but don is a bit more hesitant...we still have about another 2 weeks before our monthly billing cycle ends so we'll see if he comes around...or i might just have to make him!

Wow, that seems worth it, especially with the other financial goals you've posted about.  GL, and I hope your H gets on board!

• image tbearsangel:

Everyone mentioning taxes- H just got his W2, and I just got the form for my school loan interest, so we are planning on filing online sometime in the next couple weeks. I am a little worried about how ours are going to turn out b/c H always gets a decent refund, but since I make so little throughout the year, I hope that us being married doesn't affect that much. Hmmm... we'll see.

do not quote me not this because i could very well be wrong, but it's my understanding that when you file married jointly it's more beneficial if 1 spouse makes a considerable amount more than the other (like $25K and $5K) - in turn your refund will be more.  where for me and don, we both make around the same amount so filing married jointly hurts us, but sadly filing married separately doesn't help us either.

image Anniversary
  • image mushE:
    image JenO24:

we'd pay for hulu and we also are doing a free trial of netflix right now, which we'll probably continue to use especially if we do cut cable.  cutting our cable would save us roughly $100 a month and thats a savings after paying for hulu, netflix, and our internet.

Wow, that seems worth it, especially with the other financial goals you've posted about.  GL, and I hope your H gets on board!

thanks! Left Hug

image Anniversary
  • I think filing jointly vs separately has a lot of factors for each individual couple, so it's worth trying it out both ways and seeing which works better.  For us, Jeff gets a lot back because he has several deductions, and I barely have the standard deduction (so itemized or standard, I get the same refund).  If we file jointly, the standard deduction is higher, so Jeff's deductions don't get him the same big refund.
  • image LauraT25:
    I think filing jointly vs separately has a lot of factors for each individual couple, so it's worth trying it out both ways and seeing which works better.  For us, Jeff gets a lot back because he has several deductions, and I barely have the standard deduction (so itemized or standard, I get the same refund).  If we file jointly, the standard deduction is higher, so Jeff's deductions don't get him the same big refund.

I have relatives who ask me tax questions, and I always tell them that I didn't learn how to file a tax return in my tax law class.  But, I have done some research, and agree with this.  Filing separately is generally only beneficial in situations like Laura's, where one person has a lot of deductions, and filing jointly would cause the pair to not be able to claim them.  And also when incomes are very different. 

• image mushE:

image LauraT25:
    I think filing jointly vs separately has a lot of factors for each individual couple, so it's worth trying it out both ways and seeing which works better.  For us, Jeff gets a lot back because he has several deductions, and I barely have the standard deduction (so itemized or standard, I get the same refund).  If we file jointly, the standard deduction is higher, so Jeff's deductions don't get him the same big refund.

I have relatives who ask me tax questions, and I always tell them that I didn't learn how to file a tax return in my tax law class.  But, I have done some research, and agree with this.  Filing separately is generally only beneficial in situations like Laura's, where one person has a lot of deductions, and filing jointly would cause the pair to not be able to claim them.  And also when incomes are very different. 

Agreed.  My uncle temps for H&R Block from now until April, and he told me that since DH always owes and I get a measly return, it would be better for me personally to file separately.  Because I need that measly return.  Once DH gets a real job where taxes are taken out regularly (and not 1099'd) and our incomes are more comparable, it makes more sense to file jointly.

• Oh and as for my weekend, it was good.  Baked a cake all day to take to my work bestie's surprise party.  It was hella good and I got lots of compliments. 

Sunday was a lazy day at MIL's in Evergreen.  We took the dogs for a "walk" which means walking down the 1/2 mile driveway, then back up.  A mile in the mountain air sure had my lungs burning, especially at the steep incline.  It made me realize I am DEFINTELY overweight and out of shape.  I've been in denial for quite some time.  Sad.

Today at work is my first day in the new department, yet somehow my biitch of an ex-boss is still ruining my day.  Boo hiss.  I'm so tired of the drama.  If it doesn't get better, I will seriously have to peace out and blame it all on her dumbazz.