March 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

HTMonday: hot sauce child abuse

They were talking about this on Good Morning America this morning, but apparently it aired on Dr Phil months ago.

A woman in Alaska sent in a video to Dr Phil of her punishing her adopted Russian son. He lied about getting in trouble at school, so she yells at him, pours hot sauce in his mouth, and then makes him take a cold shower.

After the video aired, people started calling her local police department to report child abuse, and she has been charged.

Her lawyer says it's not a crime to feed a child spicy food, so there's nothing wrong with using hot sauce for punishment.

Story here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/hot-sauce-mom-jessica-beagley-charged-child-abuse/story?id=12796871

The video she sent Dr Phil is there also.

imageimageimage
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: HTMonday: hot sauce child abuse

• What the heck?  Where do people think up these punishments?  I mean, sure, I had my mouth washed out with soap a couple of times as a kid for using foul language, but hot sauce is just weird.  I think the criminal-ness would depend on how often this happens, and how much hot sauce.  I mean, can't it burn off your taste buds at some point?
  • I am not against punishing children. There need to be negative consequences for misbehavior. But, within reason. This woman horrifies me. I think that, apart from her punishment techniques being torture, what upsets me the most is the uncontrolled rage in her voice and the poor boy's terrified cries.

Being adopted from Russia, he probably has some underlying psychological issues. What he needs is compassion. Obviously, he has behavior problems, but by her own statement punishment isn't helping him. I am wary of labeling things child abuse because there are many people who would say that I was abused as a child (spanked with a belt), though I don't see it that way. But I would absolutely say that this woman has gone too far. She is as out of control as the boy is.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I read a really interesting article about families that have adopted children from other countries, and what happens when the kids have psych issues and how the families dealt with them.  It's hard to imagine what they go through, and there various types of councelling involved and it still took years for the kids to come around to even tolerate the new parents. 

It's got to be hard on the mother that she went through a lot to adopt this child from Russia (not to mention what she must have gone through before she turned to adoption), and he is so out of control.  Not excusing her at all, just saying.

• For some reason, I see the cold shower almost worse than the hot sauce.

I think the woman's emotional anger - she's obviously been over her breaking point - is what makes this video so alarming. Her tone of voice is really scary, she's obviously not only lost control of him, but herself. 

imageimageimage
  • imagejustrachet:

I am not against punishing children. There need to be negative consequences for misbehavior. But, within reason. This woman horrifies me. I think that, apart from her punishment techniques being torture, what upsets me the most is the uncontrolled rage in her voice and the poor boy's terrified cries.

This exactly.  Just the way the mother is speaking to him makes me believe she may take her actions even further when the camera is off.  It also really bothers me that she was "proud" to share this with the world.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker