Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

car seat questions

Sorry these are going to be all in one paragraph...posting from my phone. 1. How long was LO is their first car seat?2. What is the next step for carseats? Is it a convertible?3. How long are children supposed to be rear facing? Can you rear face in a convertible or whatver the next step is?Sorry if these all sound dumb but I have no clue when it comes to car seats :)
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: car seat questions

• image cats3_98:
    Sorry these are going to be all in one paragraph...posting from my phone. 1. How long was LO is their first car seat?2. What is the next step for carseats? Is it a convertible?3. How long are children supposed to be rear facing? Can you rear face in a convertible or whatver the next step is?Sorry if these all sound dumb but I have no clue when it comes to car seats :)

Mara was in her infant seat for 5 months

The next step is convertible--hers is a Graco MyRide 65, the other girls went into Britax Marathons

They HAVE to RF until 1 year AND 20 lbs BUT, the recommendation is 2 years--longer is even better.

You can rearface in most convertibles (or all?) The seat should say "rearfacing until XXlbs" --all of our convertibles can rearface

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/izn4lw.jpg[/IMG]

**Crunchy Mama to three girlies and one little guy**

*P 9.2005 * B 11.2007 * M 6.2009 * J 11.2011*
  • 1. How long they are in their infant seat is all depending on how fast they outgrow it in terms of height and/or weight. Once they reach the limit on height OR weight (whichever is first), then you need to move to a convertible seat.

2. yes, the next step is a convertible seat and make sure when you get one that says convertible, it actually means it can rear face. The graco nautilus is a convertible seat but by that it means it is a forward facing, highback booster, then booster. You CANNOT rear face in this seat!

3. Kids need to be rear facing until AT LEAST 1 year old but it's recommended for the first 2 years (J will be!). You can rear face as long as the seat's weight limit says (ex. up to "x" lbs rearfacing). And yes, you rear face in a convertible :)

I'm sure SCB will chime in with a lot more details but i think she's working til late tonight Wink (And if it always seems like we know a lot about eachother it's because we are neighbors and our kids pretty much have crushes on one another so we see eachother/talk often...haha!)

Holly
  • Thank you for posting this.  I have a lot to learn.

We are hoping to make it through the end of March before we have to switch to a convertible, so that Sam can stay snuggled in his carrier to/from the car/daycare/home etc.  We have the Chicco Keyfit 30 and he is rapidly approaching 30 inches long!!

• Haha Holly...I knew yiu guys were neighbors. Actually when I was at your house picking up my wrap, when I left I thought I saw SCB's H in their driveway. Granted I don't know where they live but I know they are close and I thought about saying hi to him but it had been so long since I've seen him I didn't want to be some creepy girl trying to talk nto him....lol
  • Oh and I should say I knew her H from a long time ago! I'm not some weirdo nestalker :) And that last post was a whole hot mess of typo FAIL! And that was after a bunch of corrections!
  • I seriously love this post.

Holly- Stick out tongue You kill me.

Cats- This is a good place to start: http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/

The site is run by a car seat tech, and has tons of reviews, recommendations, etc.

Holly and Robyn are right. Rear-facing is best. People may look at you like you have 3 heads (and they DO!), but it really is a lot safer than forward facing. I have a MILLION links that I can post if you (or anyone) are interested. I know it doesn't usually take much to convince moms, but in my experience the dads are super skeptical. 

My DD rode rear-facing til she was 2.5. So, don't let people tell you any different.

I am pretty good at installs too. If you have any questions, etc. I am planning on becoming a certified tech (maybe I can convince Holly & Robyn too). Big Smile I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • 1. How long was LO is their first car seat? until he was 6 months

2. What is the next step for carseats? Is it a convertible? yes

3. How long are children supposed to be rear facing? a year at the VERY least.

Can you rear face in a convertible or whatver the next step is? absolutely. as you are shopping make sure you get one that says "rear facing"

Sorry if these all sound dumb but I have no clue when it comes to car seats

it's ok to not know. it's good to ask. I realized I was using the wrong seat for Owen recently so we got him a new one. I don't feel like this info is readily available you have to go looking for it and I have a problem with that. Something that important should be all over TV commercials and everything in my opinion. But it's not so luckily we have the nest and some car seat experts.

Owen fit the size requirements for a belt positioning booster so we got it, but then I realized that those aren't really for a tall 3 year old. They're for school aged kids. We ended up getting an Evenflo Maestro and we're all very happy with it. I just wish I would've done more research earlier. I felt like a total putz when I realized that I didn't have him as safe as he could've been. Kind of scary.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DD was in her infant seat for 6 months, DS has been in his and will be until he's 1 because he's much smaller.

Convertibles are great and allow for rear facing.  Get one that goes up to 65 lbs if possible, you'll really get more bang for your buck being able to use it that long.   My current favorite is the Safety 1st Air.  It's super easy to install and belt them in, we have 3 and are getting a 4th. It goes to 65 lbs.

I plan to rear face at least until 18 months if not longer.  I'd like to go to 2, and with DS being short legged, we'll likely be able to do so!