Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How to Keep Entry Clean?

My next home will have a mudroom!

Until then, do you have any suggestions for keeping entryways clean?  We have a "no shoes in the house" rule, but the area rugs in front of the doors get routinely FILTHY as guests come in with shoes with dirt, snow, salt, and even small pebbles from our driveway.   Even with consistent vaccuuming, the area rugs get ruined and then need to be replaced.  I feel like I'm throwing money down the drain every time I replace them.

Any ideas?

Re: How to Keep Entry Clean?

• Get one of those "water hog" mats. The black ones with the ribbing. Not pretty, but the most effective ones you can buy. My entry ways are clean because of those. Get a moderately priced good quality one though. The cheap ones are a disaster.
  • Outside I have a heavy duty mat with bristles and then inside I have a large utility mat that sucks up water and dirt. I got mine at Kohls. I also have  my hall runner meet the utility mat so that you are always stepping on rugs when taking off shoes.
  • So when your guests enter, they step on the waterhog mat, and also take off their shoes on the mat.  What happens if you have, say, 5 guests at a time?  (A common occurrence in our house, since my husband runs his business here.) 

And, do the waterhog mats last a good long while?  I'm assuming you just hose them down outside?

• image DeweyGirl23:

So when your guests enter, they step on the waterhog mat, and also take off their shoes on the mat.  What happens if you have, say, 5 guests at a time?  (A common occurrence in our house, since my husband runs his business here.) 

And, do the waterhog mats last a good long while?  I'm assuming you just hose them down outside?

My entryway and rug are big enough that a couple people could stand on it at a time and it'll be fine.

I just vaccuum my rugs when I clean and then a couple times a year I take them out and house them down and dry in the sun.