Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How to teach your children to chew with their mouths closed.

I recently read this in a Dear Annie column and thought it was clever and helpful: A game called "Pass the Piggy" was used to teach children table manners.

"Whoever let his or her manners lapse was passed a small plastic piggy, which would sit in front of their plate until the next infraction. The offender who was holding the piggy at the end of the meal was stuck with dish duty. For younger children, the consequences may need adjustment, but this game worked wonders for our family."

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/laurakat24/turkeybaster-1.jpg[/img][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/sg4uir.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2cgez43.jpg[/IMG]

My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com

Me: 41, Hubby: 34, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR, Factor V Leiden (FaBB tab), and Fragile X (on DH side). Also taking pre-natal vitamins and Vitamin D

One natural PG 9/27/11; mc at 8wks (tried to naturally expel) Cytotec: 1/20/12 (unpleasant)

First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12(4cm unknown mass in upper left of uterus) 2nd Saline Sonogram: 10/2/12 (mass disappeared!) IVF injection class: 10/11/12

IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, Estrogen- 24, LH- 3.7, Progesterone- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right ovary & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning

ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS.

ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities." Devastated.

Begged RE for back-to-back IVFs; Started Provera 11/2/12. AF said FU and came anyway, destroying any chance for a Dec IVF.

I've maxed out my lifetime fertility insurance, so this next cycle is likely our last chance. I can barely breathe, waiting to get through this process, hoping for my take-home-baby.

IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right ovary & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13

ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS.

ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."

No DE or adoption for us, FIRM. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the repeated extremely poor quality of my eggs. I don't even know what to do with that.

Re: How to teach your children to chew with their mouths closed.

• Oh sure, shame is a wonderful motivator.
    My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • imagelivinitup:
    Oh sure, shame is a wonderful motivator.

Isn't social shame pretty much the only reason to have table manners in the first place?  

• I don't think shame plays a part in it at all! Basically it's using a fun game to motivate the kids into competing over who has to do the dishes! It's good, clean, effective family fun! 
    [img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/laurakat24/turkeybaster-1.jpg[/img][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/sg4uir.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2cgez43.jpg[/IMG]

Me: 41, Hubby: 34, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR, Factor V Leiden (FaBB tab), and Fragile X (on DH side). Also taking pre-natal vitamins and Vitamin D

One natural PG 9/27/11; mc at 8wks (tried to naturally expel) Cytotec: 1/20/12 (unpleasant)

First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12(4cm unknown mass in upper left of uterus) 2nd Saline Sonogram: 10/2/12 (mass disappeared!) IVF injection class: 10/11/12

IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, Estrogen- 24, LH- 3.7, Progesterone- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right ovary & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning

ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities." Devastated.

Begged RE for back-to-back IVFs; Started Provera 11/2/12. AF said FU and came anyway, destroying any chance for a Dec IVF.

I've maxed out my lifetime fertility insurance, so this next cycle is likely our last chance. I can barely breathe, waiting to get through this process, hoping for my take-home-baby.

IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right ovary & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13

ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."

No DE or adoption for us, FIRM. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the repeated extremely poor quality of my eggs. I don't even know what to do with that.
  • Do you think its too late to play this game with a few women at my office?

• imagemrs.starbucks:

imagelivinitup:

Isn't social shame pretty much the only reason to have table manners in the first place?  

Amen to that

• imageMrsW101109:

Do you think its too late to play this game with a few women at my office?

Now that would be funny

• imageMrsW101109:

normally just a lurker.... but this made me LOL.... I know a few people like that..... 

• I wish more people would have learned better table manners. It is horrifying to see grown people in a restaurant holding their knife or fork like they are trying to choke it instead of use it. Or blowing their nose (NOISILY!) at the table. Or the open mouth chewing of course. Or taking ENORMOUSLY huge bites and then watching them try to chew all that shiit down to something remotely close to swallowing size. Or burping at the table. Or.....

OK...so I have a bit of a pet peeve on this topic....ranting is over now.....

My Blog - Life, Love and Laughter No government can dictate who we love. Life is short...so do what feels right!
  • imagelivinitup:

Oh, please.

• imagelivinitup:

It is. My parents used to put us in the corner in the grocery store when we'd act up. Suppppper embarrassing.  Anyway, we stopped being brats and my parents could actually get the shopping done.

Are you serious???
  • imagemrs.starbucks:

imagelivinitup:

Oh my, I hope not - pride, grace, empathy, health, pleasure, conformity, physical coordination/ability. Off the top of my head, they all play a bit of a role. I can't imagine that my 3 yo with good table manners is shamed into it each and every night.

• imageLovelyMissNikki:

imagelivinitup:

It is. My parents used to put us in the corner in the grocery store when we'd act up. Suppppper embarrassing.  Anyway, we stopped being brats and my parents could actually get the shopping done.

Love it!

My mom would make my sister and I hold hands when we were arguing. It embarrassed us so much that we would stop just so we didn't have to hold hands anymore.

- namaste mothafockaaaas - image
  • imagelivingitup:
    imagemrs.starbucks:

imagelivinitup:

Oh my, I hope not - pride, grace, empathy, health, pleasure, conformity, physical coordination/ability. Off the top of my head, they all play a bit of a role. I can't imagine that my 3 yo with good table manners is shamed into it each and every night.

The smugness in this post is hilarious. 

Are you serious???
  • imagelivingitup:
    imagemrs.starbucks:

imagelivinitup:

See, now, I would think that feeling ashamed of bad behavior just once or twice would be enough to make a kid act right.

Rather than repeatedly trying to tell a three-year-old that she shouldn't chew with her mouth open because of "pride, grace and empathy." Confused

• imagelivingitup:
    imagemrs.starbucks:

imagelivinitup:

Right, none of those things have to do with avoiding social shame.  Conformity?  No, that totally has nothing to do with maintaining your social face.

Take a sociology class.

• imageMrsW101109:

The above is just plain funny. Thanks for the smile!

Regarding the rest: wow. I'm surprised at the responses. I honestly thought it was an innocent, potentially helpful post. Interesting to see what it triggered. Disappointed at some of the hostility. Who knew? Tongue Tied

• I LOVE that your mom used to make you and your sister hold hands if you were fighting!  That is a wonderful idea!

imageBeebeeEater:
    imageLovelyMissNikki:

imagelivinitup:

Love it!

My mom would make my sister and I hold hands when we were arguing. It embarrassed us so much that we would stop just so we didn't have to hold hands anymore.

• imageBeebeeEater:

I had a friend whose mother made them do the same thing. At the time it seemed "so mean" but looking back it's rather smart and also funny of the parent.  

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/rka6nk.jpg[/IMG]
    6/50
  • imagelivingitup:
    imagemrs.starbucks:

imagelivinitup:

What exactly constitutes "good manners" changes drastically, sometimes within a single generation, and definitely between cultures. Chinese spoons are shaped funny because you're SUPPOSED to slurp. It's a sign that you enjoyed it. In the West it's considered vulgar. 

And let's get real here...using a fork and a knife isn't particularly efficient in evolutionary terms. 

High-minded values are good to have, but they're really just ornamentation on most social norms. As a PP said, sociology will tell you that. 

• I love the idea! I need major help on SS's manners, they are absolutely horrible! Everyone getting onto him doesn't help but I think if he had to have the pig in front of him it would be a good reminder.
  • I'd worry that it would encourage them to point it out when other people are being rude.

It would be worse for a kid to point out someone else who has no manners in a restaurant than it would be for him to have his elbows on the table.

I can just see him yelling, "Give grandma the pig! She's breaking all the rules!"

• imageSagenhaft:

I'd worry that it would encourage them to point it out when other people are being rude.

It would be worse for a kid to point out someone else who has no manners in a restaurant than it would be for him to have his elbows on the table.

I can just see him yelling, "Give grandma the pig! She's breaking all the rules!"

Maybe tattletaling could be considered lack of etiquette?

• I'd like to try that one with my FIL and BIL. I have a bit of OCD about eating habits and it's to the point that I can't be in the same room with them when they eat!
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • I don't know if there is any hope for getting some people to learn basic table manners!  Most of my major pet peeves lie within this realm.  I am disgusted when adults chew with their mouths open, make disgusting eating noises, or slurp beverages.  You'd think that decades of eating and drinking would give people plenty of opportunity to refine their consumption habits!  I don't know why some people feel compelled to adopt a neat eating style whereas others do not.  

My biggest advice is stress the importance of learning to eat properly at home and hold kids accountable there, not just in public.  Don't make public opinion the focus of manners training.  My parents paid attention to manners in public, where correction can be embarrassing to kids, but were openly lax about manners at home.  All of my siblings still have some really disgusting habits when it comes to eating and drinking.  Kids aren't going to be as apt to learn table manners if they are taught that manners are only important sometimes.  As Quentin Crisp said, "Manners are love in a cool climate."  While I do think home is a place to let loose and relax, I don't think basic table manners should be neglected.  Teach your kids to be kind and thoughtful towards the people with whom they eat daily, not just occasional outsiders who need to be impressed.