Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Who else is trying to lose weight?

Mike and I re-joined Weight Watchers (online for the moment) last week. Time to ditch this baby weight on both of us. :-)  My first weigh in I lost 4 pounds, Mike lost 6. Whoot! My goal is at least 12 more pounds, if not 15.  

I know Bethie mentioned doing WW, anyone else? I am loving the new plan. I am eating tons of fruits and veg, and still can fit in my wine and beer. Priorities, people. 

image Ready to rumble.

Re: Who else is trying to lose weight?

• I re-started the first week in December, and lost 5 pounds in December. That was the first time that I can recall that I weighed less at the end of December than I did at the start.  I'm liking the new plan, too. I find that I'll grab a piece of fruit for a snack instead of an empty 100 calorie pack since the fruit is free. 

I made this last night and it was really good. It's 12 points per serving without low-fat sour cream, and it's 13 points if you add on two TB of it. It may be higher than you want for dinner, but we're fat @sses so we get 35+ points each.

Easy Taco Bake
    1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
    1   onion, chopped
    1 Tbsp. chili powder
    1 can  (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen corn, thawed, drained
    6   whole wheat tortillas (6 inch)
    1 cup KRAFT Mexican Style 2% Milk Finely Shredded Four Cheese, divided
    1/4 cup  BREAKSTONE'S Reduced Fat or KNUDSEN Light Sour Cream

HEAT oven to 375?F.

BROWN meat with onions and chili powder in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and corn; cook 5 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

SPOON 1 cup meat mixture into 2-qt. round casserole; cover with 3 tortillas, overlapping if necessary to fit in dish. Top with 2 cups of the remaining meat mixture and 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with remaining tortillas and remaining meat mixture; cover.

BAKE 25 to 30 min. or until heated through. Top with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, 5 min. or until melted. Cut into wedges. Serve topped with sour cream.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I signed up for WW on Sunday.  Overall I like the new plan (love free fruit), but there are definitely some things that I eat regularly that I'm reconsidering.  My latte with low-fat milk and no sugar is just not worth 4 points. So I'm drinking tea instead today.
    Baby Boxer is coming! 5.23.12
    www.focushunting.com
  • Being a nursing mom on WW rocks, I get 36 points. Mike gets 41. :-) So 12 point dinners are great, last night I had to eat a cookie to use up all my daily points. 
    image Ready to rumble.
  • This site has some good recipes, too. And she is adding the points plus values as she can to all her old recipes.
  • Awesome! Tim's working nights this week and next and it's just too hard meal planning, so I'm starting when he's on his regular schedule again. I was pleased to see I kept off 10 lbs of the weight I lost 2 years ago, but I'd like to lose another 50+. Yikes.
    I bet her FUPA's name is Shane, like the gunslinger/drifter of literature.--HappyTummy
  • I get 43 with my points as a nursing/supplementing mom plus all the weekly flex ones. When I see that many points it makes me realize just how much I was eating before I got back on that I actually was gaining a little here and there.
  • That taco bake sounds delicious.  
    www.focushunting.com
  • Eh, when am I not trying to lose weight? I signed back up for WW online a couple weeks ago to try out the new plan. I haven't had much time to actually do it yet though :
    DSC_0768
    Claire Elizabeth 12/31/2011
    Married Bio
  • It was really yummy and filling. I think it'll be going into our rotation.
  • We made this Senegalese peanut stew with spinach and sweet potatoes last week. It's amazing. 

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=190441

Melissa, Madeline is adorable.  

image Ready to rumble.
  • I'm back on the weight loss train, but just for about 5 lbs or so.  10 would be dreamy, but I'm too lazy to commit to that.

And now my weight pet peeve from a few weeks ago that I never mentioned...we had the medical guy come to take our blood, etc for our life insurance policies.  He asks Jason his stats and makes note of them without any reaction...totally fine, even though J is technically a little overweight (according to the BMI calculator).  Then he asks me mine.  I'm no skinny minny by any stretch, but I'm within my healthy BMI range (albeit at the top end, but w/e).  The guy then asks, "well, what was your lowest weight before getting pregnant".  I said, "this is it".  He (btw, not a small man) was all, "uh...okay".

I felt really judged by this fat asss and got minorly upset by it.  I mean, to give me attitude about my healthy weight, but to say nothing about my H who IS overweight?  Dude.  Not cool.

image Mabel the Loser.
  • Ooh- I have all of that at home. I may do that tonight. Thanks!

And thanks on the Madeline compliment. I debated between that pic and this one:

• Ooh- I have all of that at home. I may do that tonight. Thanks!

And thanks on the Madeline compliment. I debated between that pic and this one:

• I'm below where I was when I got pregnant with Evie, but still about 20 lbs overweight so I'd like to drop that. I think my main goal is to figure out when I can work out and do it consistently though. I'd like to start the C25K soon and get back into pilates if I can get the kids napping at the same time on days when I'm home with them in the afternoons.

• I haven't had much of an appetite for the last month, so I've dropped a smidge of weight without explicitly trying.  When I do eat, I find I fill up much faster (shrunken stomach I guess?) so now that my nerves are settling, I'm going to try to keep up with the small portion strategy.  I also started drinking less regular soda and less coffee (which I add sweetener to) and Coke Zero if I feel like soda.  Regular coke tastes super sweet to me now.  I also tried eating ice cream once last week and it was way too sugary, too.  That said, I did put away a full plate and a half of food at the Indian buffet I went to over break.  So we'll see how long this lasts.
    "As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • I am also trying. I am up in the air about weight watchers though. I have 30 lbs to lose, although 35 would be perfect. I gained 30 during this pregnancy and only lost 12. Indifferent
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • I love WW so much. 28 pounds since September. I have a lot to lose, but I'm feeling great, and damn proud of myself. I've actually lost 7 pounds since the beginning of December. Since there are so many of us interested, I encourage everyone to bring their snack, breakfast, dinner ideas and weight loss successes to the board. I find that sort of stuff helpful and often inspiring. Those not interested can just skip those posts.
  • I hit my 5% goal at WW last night.  I've been on for 8 weeks now. I love the new plan especially the days I work from home, I can pick on fruits and veggies all day. 

I am trying their brisket recipe tonight. It's one of the holiday recipes they posted on FB a few weeks ago.    

• I'm trying, but not doing any specific plan.  I'd say the biggest thing I'm doing is watching portion sizes.

I've lost at least 20 lbs since I started treatment for depression.  I was shocked by how much it affected how easy it is for me to make better choices about what I eat (says the girl who just ate a handful of lemonheads).  I haven't weighted in a few weeks but it's more than that now.  I tried on a size 14 jeans at Gap last night and they fit! I mean, barely, but that's not important here.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I am thinner than when I had Dagger but still want to lose. I am thinking about WW, but seriously I think I can just cut back on some food and lose since I am still eating like a pig and losing weight.
  • I made a really tasty and easy fish dish last night.  It was just tilapia with fresh lemon juice, minced garlic and a bit of thyme.  I baked it at 400 for about 25 minutes, and it turned out great.  The fillets I bought were pretty large (5 oz. each), and it was still only 4 points a piece. 
    www.focushunting.com
  • I'm also on the weight loss plan for this year and am trying to be better about Weight Watchers.  I've been off and on with it for about a year now.  My doctor also told me last month that I needed to diet for "at least a year" before I even considered trying to get pregnant.  Blah...  So, any meal and food ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • I just bookmarked this yesterday. I'd imagine you could cut down the olive oil considerably, and it would be pretty good points-wise. Looks amazing. http://pinkparsleycatering.blogspot.com/2011/01/spiced-chipotle-honey-chicken-with.html
    I bet her FUPA's name is Shane, like the gunslinger/drifter of literature.--HappyTummy
  • I'm only moderately trying since I'd hate for weight loss to result in a supply drop in my milk.  I have about 35 lbs to loose, but I won't really try in earnest until he weans or I'm done having babies.

We just got Kinnect for XBOX and the games are really fun and the technology is great and works well.  One of them is Biggest Loser Challenge.  I also just got Michael Jackson The Experience for Wii and it is AWE-SOME.  So I'd rather "work out" by dancing or playing games than skip dessert or watch what I'm eating. 

• I am so pathetic, I have GAINED weight since Sean was born. I am just so hungry all of the time, and when I was pregnant I ate like a horse and didn't gain at all so I just sort of kept doing that...and yeah, it has not worked out well for me. So I am starting back on WW when I get back to Portland. I just realized I have to be in my sister's wedding in 2.5 months and if I don't want to cringe every time I see the photos for eternity I have to do something.

I am going to do the meetings because that's what I had success with (50 lbs) before. I found a "Mommy and Me" meeting that I'll be going to on Tuesday mornings. I dunno how else to fit it in with our schedules. I never had lasting success with the online version.

I just wish they made an Android app like the do for the iPhone. Phbbbt.

The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
  • I'm not so much trying to lose weight as I'm trying to be healthier. I'm attempting to not eat any fast food this month, and eat non-processed stuff at home. I'm giving myself a free pass at real restaurants, though. I had something like 4 beers and cheese fries for dinner last night, so I'm not exactly being strict.

I'm also training to run a marathon relay and trying to get back to doing yoga regularly. I'm assuming I'll lose weight doing all these things, but who knows.

• imagePDXPhotoGrl:

I just wish they made an Android app like the do for the iPhone. Phbbbt.

At one point in time it said on their site that one was coming, but it's gone now. I did find a free app that has a calculator that's much faster to get to than going through their mobile site. They have been spot-on with the site calculator since Points Plus was launched. 

• When I saw that the last response was by a name I didn't recognize I figured it was someone telling us how fat and miserable we were. I guess we don't attract that kind of crowd anymore.

Tell us more about your self, mgarlic.

• imageoklagirl:

I'm not so much trying to lose weight as I'm trying to be healthier. I'm attempting to not eat any fast food this month, and eat non-processed stuff at home.

That is my plan.  What I really need is to find the time to start some sort of exercise regimen. My weight is healthy. I'm just nothing but jiggle and ooze. Tis not pretty.

• I have been on WW since last Feb and have lost 60 lbs. I have about 60 more to go (I was huge). I have been hovering around the same weight for like the past 2 months. I like the free fruits on the new plan but I am a carb eater at heart and it's killing me.