September 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone still adjusting

To their new last name?  Geez, I've had it for three months now but it's so hard for me to get used to it.  I keep signing my maiden name.  When I get asked for my full name I always foget my new last name and then I quickly add it at the end. 

Am I the only one still adjusting to their new last name?

My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image

Re: Anyone still adjusting

• Nope. My boss said "Mrs. Stonkey" about 9 times the other day before I realized "oh ... he's talking to me!" Oopsie.
  • I think there will always be a little piece of me that doesn't think it sounds right, but I'm used to it for the most part.  As soon as we got back from our honeymoon, I went on an all out blitz and changed my name EVERYWHERE - credit card, mortgage, license, social security, etc.  Then, I focused on changing it at work cuz I knew that would be the most confusing.  I think once people started calling me by my new last name at work, it helped it to really sink in for me.
    "Imperfection is beauty; madness is genious. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" ~ Marilyn Monroe <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="D
  • Um...I still haven't changed my name. People still call me Mrs. Sxx and it doesn't register in my head at all.

I haven't felt the need to change it yet. Plus all of my skating insurance, memberships, credentials, etc are currently in my maiden name and don't want to go through the hassle of changing all of that in the middle of the season. Maybe in April before I go through the renewal process for all that again.

• I was surprised that the transition was actually really easy.  There were only TWO times that I almost signed my maiden name, and my new name comes to me really naturally.  I figured it would be much harder, since it usually takes me a week to get a new month right in the date, and months to start getting the new year correct.  When I get mail in my old name, it sort of throws me off, actually.

The only weird thing was my initials - in lab we initial EVERYTHING, and it took me over a week to realize that I had new initials.  It didn't even occur to me to change my initials.  I actually decided to keep using my old initials, just for consistency.

ETA: My husband said he actually forgets, when he needs to put my name on forms and stuff.  Apparently he's having a tougher time adjusting!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • People say 'Mrs. Q' and I look around for my MIL.  Plus, we've been going through the process of listing my house this week, and I didn't bother changing my name on any of the mortgage/deed paperwork since I knew we were selling.  So, now that I'm finally starting to get used to signing 'Mrs. Q', I have to go back to 'oldlastname.'

PS - does anyone know...I changed my name on my personal checking account (the one that doesn't have DH on it), but all my checks still say 'oldlastname.'  I signed the new signature card, but can I sign my checks either way?  I keep signing them with my maiden name so I don't get any crap from anyone I send the checks to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked. PersonalMilestone
  • image exictedbride:

Um...I still haven't changed my name. People still call me Mrs. Sxx and it doesn't register in my head at all. 

I haven't either.  I do recognize being called by the new Mrs. name though.  But only cause my friends jokingly called me that for a long time. 

TTC since 2010
    Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
    DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
    BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
    IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
    Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do really well siging my new name, which is weird, since it's the same initial, you think I would sign my old name by accident. 

I'm also a dork and have 2 shirts w/ Mrs. newlastname and had sticky notes and letterhead printed for work, so I see it constantly.  I'm still having a little trouble saying it though, like when anyone asks your full name.  Sounds weird coming off the tongue, but my hand has it down pat :)

• image SusieQ1981:

People say 'Mrs. Q' and I look around for my MIL.  Plus, we've been going through the process of listing my house this week, and I didn't bother changing my name on any of the mortgage/deed paperwork since I knew we were selling.  So, now that I'm finally starting to get used to signing 'Mrs. Q', I have to go back to 'oldlastname.'

PS - does anyone know...I changed my name on my personal checking account (the one that doesn't have DH on it), but all my checks still say 'oldlastname.'  I signed the new signature card, but can I sign my checks either way?  I keep signing them with my maiden name so I don't get any crap from anyone I send the checks to.

You might want to call your bank, but I think really you need new checks.

• image LauraT25:
    image SusieQ1981:

People say 'Mrs. Q' and I look around for my MIL.  Plus, we've been going through the process of listing my house this week, and I didn't bother changing my name on any of the mortgage/deed paperwork since I knew we were selling.  So, now that I'm finally starting to get used to signing 'Mrs. Q', I have to go back to 'oldlastname.'

When I changed my name l had all these checks with my maiden name on them.  I used them occasionally with no problem whatsoever until I ended up switching banks to one that was more local to DH's and my house.  The only reason I didn't bother ordering new checks at the time was because I knew I would be switching banks and it was only temporary.

Do people really still use checks anyway?  I pretty much pay all my bills online and writing a check is extemely rare for me.  In fact, I haven't ordered any new checks since switching banks in November because I haven't needed them.

"Imperfection is beauty; madness is genious. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" ~ Marilyn Monroe <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="D
  • I have to pay my doctor/medical bills with a check, and my rent.  So at least once a month I write one.  I definitely don't know for sure, which is why I think she should call her bank - I think it's best to know before something bounces and you wind up paying late fees or dealing with the hassle of sorting something out.  I mean, legally your maiden name is no longer your name, so I would think that you shouldn't be signing it on a check.  Whether anyone will catch it or care, I don't know. 

I had a bunch of checks with my maiden name and I just got rid of them, because FFS a box of new checks is like $10 and lasts over a year.  However, if I'd wanted to keep using them, I probably would have signed my married (legal) name, and maybe written my married name on the top next to my maiden.

• Rent pretty much used to be the only thing I needed to write a check out for, but now we have a mortgage instead that we just pay online.

All my doctors take credit cards for co-payments.  I guess it just depends on where you live and a matter of preference!  I got rid of all the checks with my maiden name too when I switched banks.  Eventually I'll probably order some new ones just in case a need ever comes up where I need to use one.  I definately agree she should get checks with her correct name if she's going to be using them often to pay bills, etc to avoid any confusion or hassle.

• We don't have co-payments with our insurance, but our doctor does accept credit cards for that.  When I get a bill in the mail, there's an option to pay with a CC but only if it's over a certain amount, and it's never enough.  I think Jeff could use his CC, but still writes a check - if he could do it online, he probably would, but I think it's more secure to write a check than to write down all your CC info.  I could be paranoid, though!
  • My mom still writes checks for everything.  She doesn't like the concept of paying bills online with personal info and is very paranoid about it.  There's definately a point there but I know the sites where I pay my bills take many steps to keep consumer information secure and it's never been a problem.  Now, when I get a bill, I just go online and schedule the payment for the date it's due and forget about it.  It's made my life so much easier I love it lol  I'm even thinking about doing paperless statements for everything. 
  • image LauraT25:

I have to pay my doctor/medical bills with a check, and my rent.  So at least once a month I write one.  I definitely don't know for sure, which is why I think she should call her bank - I think it's best to know before something bounces and you wind up paying late fees or dealing with the hassle of sorting something out.  I mean, legally your maiden name is no longer your name, so I would think that you shouldn't be signing it on a check.  Whether anyone will catch it or care, I don't know. 

I had a bunch of checks with my maiden name and I just got rid of them, because FFS a box of new checks is like $10 and lasts over a year.  However, if I'd wanted to keep using them, I probably would have signed my married (legal) name, and maybe written my married name on the top next to my maiden.

this!  though i think you should still go with getting new checks since they dont cost much and will last you for a while.

image Anniversary
  • I'm definitely still adjusting. I still have to change my name on two old credit cards, my power bill, at all of my doctors offices, on my car insurance, and to get a new passport. I'm lazy.

I've done okay with signing my name for the most part. Its really confusing at work because I'm a signer on the bank accounts and we haven't made it to all of the banks to change it over. So on the account I use the most, I'm still Nichole maidenname and all of the others I'm Nichole marriedname. 

My biggest problem is I can't keep my signature the same on everything I sign. The letters in my married name just don't flow together as well in cursive as my maiden name. I also don't write in cursive capital letters but sometimes I use the capital, sometimes I cross the t's while in the middle of writing, etc.

• I think I've adjusted to it, but still have to change my passport over (although that could wait since we won't be traveling outside of the country anytime soon). Stupid CA DMV, I changed my last name with them, received my new drivers license but when I open my mail today for my new tags, they left my registration in my maiden name.
    Me (33)& DX: DOR, FSH-20.3; DH(28):SA=normal 8/11 HSG= clear!
    IUI #1 10/12/11 (Bravelle + HCG + Prometrium & acupuncture) = 10/26 BFP! Beta #1=250, Beta #2= 615. 1st u/s 11/8. image Visit The Nest! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do agree with LTB, my married signature doesn't seem to flow as well.  It has a second capital letter in it, which is really uncomfortable to me.  I hope I get used to it and it starts to feel more natural.  Even though I don't have an issue with remembering to sign with the right name, it feels wrong.  I'm sure it would be weird with any new name, but I can't help but feel that if it didn't have that darn second capital letter, it would flow much better.
  • image exictedbride:

Um...I still haven't changed my name. People still call me Mrs. Sxx and it doesn't register in my head at all. 

Same goes for me.  I need my passport in May.  While I know thats enough time for me to have it changed, I still worry.  So I'll change it all after that.  DH doesn't care if I change it at all so I figure its not hurting anything anyways.  

Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • image LauraT25:

The only weird thing was my initials - in lab we initial EVERYTHING, and it took me over a week to realize that I had new initials.  It didn't even occur to me to change my initials.  I actually decided to keep using my old initials, just for consistency.

Me too!  My old last initial was an "n" and my new one is an "h".  I write my initials with my first name initial capitalized and my middle and last lower case in cursive, so I'm having a lot of problems now making the stick on the "n" go high enough to be an "h".  Gets me every time!

I'm also in the same boat as Brew - I can sign my name just fine.  It's when I'm telling people my name that it's awkward to use new last name.

Vacation

Vacation
  • image LauraT25:
    image SusieQ1981:

When I went and changed my name at the bank, they gave me the choice.  They said it was perfectly fine to still use the old checks as long as I signed my maiden name to match the printed name on them.

Vacation

Vacation
  • image sunshine_day_dreams:

When I went and changed my name at the bank, they gave me the choice.  They said it was perfectly fine to still use the old checks as long as I signed my maiden name to match the printed name on them.

Dude, this is a perfect example of why I recommend calling, because my instinct was 100% wrong according to Rachel's bank.

• image hibiscus118:
    image exictedbride:

Same goes for me.  I need my passport in May.  While I know thats enough time for me to have it changed, I still worry.  So I'll change it all after that.  DH doesn't care if I change it at all so I figure its not hurting anything anyways.  

I've changed my name and not my passport.  You don't HAVE to change your passport.  You'll just have to make sure that whenever you travel, your docs are booked in your maiden name.  I just had to renew my passport a year and a half ago and I'm traveling under my maiden name b/c I don't want to pay to get a new passport again so soon.

Vacation

Vacation
  • I'm definitely not updating my passport until I have to.  Everything else is done, but I just don't want to pay for it right now.
  • I continually hesitate after my first name. I'm Stephanie .... uh ....

I do have stationary, etc. with my new name on it, as well as my business cards and email have been changed. Legally it has not been changed.