Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Those that commute to Omaha

What are your opinions on the new Commute Tax? Something like 50 dollars out of each paycheck, depending on numerous other factors?

Re: Those that commute to Omaha

• Are you referring to the wheel tax or another tax?
  • Isn't the wheel tax $50 a year?  Either way, I figure I pay my LINCOLN wheel tax, I'm not pumped to pay the Omaha one too but, what do ya do.
    [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/izn4lw.jpg[/IMG]

**Crunchy Mama to three girlies and one little guy**

*P 9.2005 * B 11.2007 * M 6.2009 * J 11.2011*
  • I don't work in Omaha (and glad my H doesn't anymore, either), but it's one of the more ridiculous things I've heard.
  • Yeah - I just Googled and found an article where it said it's $50 per year.
  • It's $50 a year, but I think it's ridiculous. I'm with Robyn - I have to pay it in CB, why should I have to pay for Omaha, too?

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  

And seriously, is there anything left for Omaha to tax?! 

I don't know, perhaps ::gasp:: curb spending?!

I'm not sure why this bothers me so much because it doesn't affect me, but it's just gross.

ALL HAIL IOWA!

• It's $50 per year. We don't pay a wheel tax in Papillion, so I don't get doubled taxed on that, but I still don't like it. I understand that Omaha thinks they should get some $ for us using the streets, but...what about all the revenue people from outside the city bring in? And, we are moving in the spring, so if we move to Omaha, you think they are going to get on that and refund a portion of the $50? Probably not...
    photos by jennied photography

Alissa Jean

• image copaceticcrack:

THIS!

• image copaceticcrack:

I'm not sure why this bothers me so much because it doesn't affect me, but it's just gross.

ALL HAIL IOWA!

preach on my sister.

Listen stuck up O-snotties - -- iowa has its perks - and I am a former west O peep. A) wildlife B) Lakes C) low taxes D) better scenery - loess hills, ect... E) our streets are plowed and kept clean in CB - did you know that CB has 5 fewer plows than the entire city of omaha? They kick asss over here   F) not a lot of traffic - you can get anywhere in 10 minutes. Try that in Omaha

• I love the fact that I live in Sarpy county, happen to teach for an OPS school in Sarpy county, take Sarpy county roads to work, however get to pay the wheel tax because TAC is locatated in Omaha.  I teach at Bryan High School, which is Sarpy county.

GRRR

• I think that tax is redic and completely blows!
  • I think if all of you non-Omaha peeps would quit using Dodge street at 8:00 in the morning in order to avoid paying the wheel tax that would be lovely.  Imagine my drive in without all of you commuters!  It's $50 people! 
  • image kim_and_tony:
    I think if all of you non-Omaha peeps would quit using Dodge street at 8:00 in the morning in order to avoid paying the wheel tax that would be lovely.  Imagine my drive in without all of you commuters!  It's $50 people! 

Big Smile 

• I don't take freaking Dodge...EVER. I work on a lot of roadway projects all over the US and I have NEVER heard of something like this to fund road projects. It is STUPID!
  • image tiff-n-nick:
    image copaceticcrack:

ALL HAIL IOWA!

preach on my sister.

Listen stuck up O-snotties - -- iowa has its perks - and I am a former west O peep. A) wildlife B) Lakes C) low taxes D) better scenery - loess hills, ect... E) our streets are plowed and kept clean in CB - did you know that CB has 5 fewer plows than the entire city of omaha? They kick asss over here   F) not a lot of traffic - you can get anywhere in 10 minutes. Try that in Omaha

And your population is 60,000. That's smaller than NU stadium on game day. Omaha is close to 450,000 not including surrounding areas. Lets not compare apples and oranges. 

• I wish I used Dodge in the morning.....So can I now charge money for  coming into Sarpy county'?  Just askingStick out tongue
  • image lisac113:
    I wish I used Dodge in the morning.....So can I now charge money for  coming into Sarpy county'?  Just askingStick out tongue

We joke about this too, asking if we can charge people to drive to the new Sarpy ball park.

And we get double "fined" since my husband works in Bellevue but TD headquarters are in O and I work in O too...I know its not much I feel its more the principle of it.

• image kim_and_tony:
    I think if all of you non-Omaha peeps would quit using Dodge street at 8:00 in the morning in order to avoid paying the wheel tax that would be lovely.  Imagine my drive in without all of you commuters!  It's $50 people! 

I don't take Dodge, ever....and, I'm in the office by 6am every day :)

• I guess I'm tired of all of the complaining over $50.  If you want to be able to count on the city of Omaha's services day after day, then it isn't so much to ask to help with the $ a little.  When you are here, you are driving on streets that the city has plowed, you will be assisted by emergency services of the city of Omaha if there is an accident, the city maintains traffic lights and widens roads to make room for traffic.  I'm not saying we have the best services, but they are there for you. 

As for paying for the road to the Sarpy county ballpark, that is something that will be used by my family infrequently for leisure.  When I am out of town on vacation I plan on paying tolls, paying for parking, paying $7.00 for a hot doy.  Fees for a one time use are fine by me too.  If I don't want to pay, I won't go. 

I know nesties aren't the bulk of the complainers, but reading the editorials in the paper from some outside of Omaha workers gets me pretty fired up.  If you don't want to pay the tax, quit and let someone else have your job.  Good luck finding a $50,000 + paying job in Yutan, Wahoo, Plattsmouth, Glenwood. 

• image kim_and_tony:

I guess I'm tired of all of the complaining over $50.  If you want to be able to count on the city of Omaha's services day after day, then it isn't so much to ask to help with the $ a little.  When you are here, you are driving on streets that the city has plowed, you will be assisted by emergency services of the city of Omaha if there is an accident, the city maintains traffic lights and widens roads to make room for traffic.  I'm not saying we have the best services, but they are there for you. 

As for paying for the road to the Sarpy county ballpark, that is something that will be used by my family infrequently for leisure.  When I am out of town on vacation I plan on paying tolls, paying for parking, paying $7.00 for a hot doy.  Fees for a one time use are fine by me too.  If I don't want to pay, I won't go. 

I know nesties aren't the bulk of the complainers, but reading the editorials in the paper from some outside of Omaha workers gets me pretty fired up.  If you don't want to pay the tax, quit and let someone else have your job.  Good luck finding a $50,000 + paying job in Yutan, Wahoo, Plattsmouth, Glenwood. 

EXACTLY! No one forces you to work here. It's your choice.  We could have a toll gate at all the intersections coming into the city and if you can't show proof you live here charge you a buck but we don't. $50 is would be way cheaper. My parents have to pay a toll just to drive to Oklahoma city from where they live. They just pay it and don't complain and they go to the city at least 3-4 times a month for dr. appts and that doesn't include when they go to shop or come to visit me or go on vacation. 3-4 bucks each way adds up. Not counting their gas for the 2.5 hour drive.

Here's my thing, no one forces you to shop here, work here or do anything in this city. It's your choice. Hence why I've been to CB 4 times in the last like 5-6 years.  Same with Lincoln, I think the last time I was there was for Owen's 1st birthday maybe (Nancy??) I chose not to go there, shop there, eat there, etc. What bugs me is the people who want the big city life, bars, stores, dining, events but they want to live outside of the city so they don't have to deal with the taxes, crime, etc. 

• I know it's just $50 but it's stupid. Sarpy plows its roads, maintains lights and has emergency assistance; services that, like Omaha, aren't limited to their residents. To me, that's not a reason to justify the tax. I mean, I gotta wonder how it would be taken if sarpy did the same thing. It's a matter of overspending. It's a matter of spending, what..$900,000 or something on the mayor recall. That is just one instance where a little bit of wiser spending would dig Omaha out of this debt. And, I don't use Dodge street. :)

Alissa Jean

• image kim_and_tony:

I guess I'm tired of all of the complaining over $50.  If you want to be able to count on the city of Omaha's services day after day, then it isn't so much to ask to help with the $ a little.  When you are here, you are driving on streets that the city has plowed, you will be assisted by emergency services of the city of Omaha if there is an accident, the city maintains traffic lights and widens roads to make room for traffic.  I'm not saying we have the best services, but they are there for you. 

If you don't want to pay the tax, quit and let someone else have your job.  Good luck finding a $50,000 + paying job in Yutan, Wahoo, Plattsmouth, Glenwood. 

I agree with this; as someone else mentioned, people drive to this city because they prefer the jobs they can find here, but they don't want to LIVE here due to any number of personal reasons. Now people are going to be taxed a small amount for that choice. If you don't like it, make a different choice.

• image SB&J:
    image kim_and_tony:

If you don't want to pay the tax, quit and let someone else have your job.  Good luck finding a $50,000 + paying job in Yutan, Wahoo, Plattsmouth, Glenwood. 

I agree with this; as someone else mentioned, people drive to this city because they prefer the jobs they can find here, but they don't want to LIVE here due to any number of personal reasons. Now people are going to be taxed a small amount for that choice. If you don't like it, make a different choice.

Yes, but what are you going to do when, for example (because this in the field I am in) your libraries aren't open because there aren't enough people to staff them? In my library, 50% of the people that work there live outside of Omaha. And out of that 50%, 75% of them are JD, MLS librarians. Not exactly a run of the mill job. So what happens if there aren't enough people with these specialties that live in the city of Omaha? Obviously, not just librarians, this could be heart surgeons, real estate agents, anything. The jobs just go unfilled and people b!tch about lack of services?

I'm not trying to come off as "oh well, clearly you made a bad choice by living in Omaha. You probably should have lived in Sarpy or IA" because that is not the case at all. People that live outside the city bring a lot to the city of Omaha, just as people from Omaha bring a lot to areas outside of Omaha. I just think that a little bit of a reduction in spending could have prevented this.

Alissa Jean

• Five fewer plows than Council Bluffs? I believe it. I have joked that Omaha has 3 more plows than the city of Miami. And wow driving on streets that are plowed? Where? Omaha wouldn't know how to plow a street if it had a sign on it about someone's mother.
  • I'm actually against the recall because of it's waste of $$. Vote the first time and know what you are voting for folks and we wouldn't be in this situation.

I'm also probably in the minority that we have way to many libraries and that many of them should be closed. Along with pools, golf courses, etc. Until we get our budget under control. Once under control then consider opening. But I live right by 90th and dodge but never use that library. I drive to one at 60th and maple or the one on north 90th. Why do we need all of them? 

We can all point fingers at who's fault it is but it won't change anything. We are in trouble and it has to get fixed. 

This city is full of waste in all departments. My dh and I have this conversation on a weekly basis of how dollars can be saved. Unfortunately many hands are tied. Police/Fire could buy $1 pens instead of $2 pens but that extra $1 saved doesn't go back into their budget. The city takes it and spends it on gold man hole covers Wink.  Hard for departments to want to save when they don't reap the benefit of say avoiding layoffs.

• image SB&J:
    image kim_and_tony:

I think it's funny that THIS gets heated.

I said, in my post "what do you do"  I think it's lame--yes....because I pay the same damn tax in Lincoln (where I live because my husband has a job here, not because I don't want to live in Omaha but I digress).  

It's just $50, I'm cool with paying it, I just think it's kind of lame....plus, I'm a Dem, I LOVE me some taxes.... ;)