Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email he[email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Couch to 5k and then?

This week is my last week of c25k (I can't believe I can now run 30 minutes!) and I'm wondering what to do next.

I still run fairly slow...my 30 minute run only gets me about 2.4 miles so I know I need to work on speed. What's a good way to approach this? Should I keep trying to increase time and speed at the same time, or stay at 30 minutes until my speed is up? 

Re: Couch to 5k and then?

• One of the regular girls (I can't remember who, maybe GRKATERS?) says with increased distance comes increased speed, I've been slowly building up my distance.  There is a bridge to 10k program in addition to c25k but i'm not using that. i'm just slowly adding distance each week.
  • image AChambers18:
    One of the regular girls (I can't remember who, maybe GRKATERS?) says with increased distance comes increased speed, I've been slowly building up my distance.  There is a bridge to 10k program in addition to c25k but i'm not using that. i'm just slowly adding distance each week.

I agree with this, if you keep running, over time I think you will naturally get faster. However, I've also read that basically, if you want to be able to run faster, you have to...wait for it...run faster!  Try picking up your pace a bit, or doing intervals.  Run your normal pace for say, 2 minutes, then sprint for 30 seconds, then slow back down, and repeat for like 20 mins to a half hour.  i think you need to push yourself to gain speed.

• image AChambers18:
    One of the regular girls (I can't remember who, maybe GRKATERS?) says with increased distance comes increased speed, I've been slowly building up my distance.  There is a bridge to 10k program in addition to c25k but i'm not using that. i'm just slowly adding distance each week.

Ditto the bold. I started to increase distance on my own and now I'm starting half marathon training. 

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/25tc21k.jpg[/IMG]
  • I finish C25K in January, and I was thinking about doing the first few weeks' worth of intervals with slow running where it says walk, and running faster where it says run. Maybe it won't be worth anything, but I am S-L-O-W. Glacial, even.

There's always the Bridge to 10K, or you could even design your own program.

[IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/pltollison/raptor.jpg[/IMG]
  • I just worked on building up distance after C25K, and it worked well for me so that's what I would recommend. :)  After the 30 minutes I could run, I would take a walk break for a few minutes, then run again until I reached 40 minutes.  Soon I started doing that with miles instead of minutes. I'd run 3 miles, then take a walk break, then finish running mile 4. Once I could do 4 miles without needing the walk break, I'd do the same thing to get to mile 5. Etc. 

• Congrats on finishing the program! I was doing what the other girls said and slowly adding distance after I finished C25K last June, but traveling for work and winter came, so I really slacked off. I found the structured program really helped me so two weeks ago I started an 8k training program that I've been doing on the treadmill. GL!