Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need suggestions pet related

My sister has two boxers that are her world.  Her one boxer wasn't feeling good last night and was crying so they took her to the vet and as it turns out she had bloat.  They did xrays to see if they could operate and found that she was riddled with cancer tumors and they said the surgery was a long shot but with the cancer now in the mix they didn't think she would survive the surgery anyway.  They had to put her to sleep.  This was very unexpected and my sister is a wreck.

My parents and I sent her flowers today and I offered to come hang out with her.  I also made a donation in her dog's name to a Boxer Rescue in her area.  I still feel like I didn't do enough.  Any other suggestions?  

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Need suggestions pet related

• I think she made the best choice. This is comig from someone who really loves her cats. I think you did plenty and just being there is the best thing.
  • I don't think there's much more you can do but be there for her.  Don't force her to talk about her dog if she doesn't want to - I know when my 17 year old cat died, I didn't want anyone to bring it up because it only made me cry when I thought about it.  And she's probably taking it extra hard because it was so sudden.

I think what you've done so far is great.

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • As a pet lover myself, I also believe she did the right thing.  I think you did plenty for your sister.  She will surely need a shoulder to cry on right now and lots of support and reassurance that she made the right decision, so just being there to offer that for her is a great gift from you.  I will say a prayer for your sister- I know this is hard for her right now.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image JenD1018:

I don't think there's much more you can do but be there for her.  Don't force her to talk about her dog if she doesn't want to - I know when my 17 year old cat died, I didn't want anyone to bring it up because it only made me cry when I thought about it.  And she's probably taking it extra hard because it was so sudden.

This exactly-even the part about not wanting to talk about the passing of my 17 year old cat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Aww that is so sad.  She did the right thing.  And what you and your parents did was wonderful.  I really don't think there is much you can do more either.  Just be there for her as you have.
  • I'm so sorry, that's so sad.

I think you've done all you can, really. 

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!
  • Thanks, I think in my head I know I've done all I can really do it's just so hard listening to her sob and not being able to make her feel better.  Losing your pet sucks.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • image NewQueen:
    image JenD1018:

I don't think there's much more you can do but be there for her.  Don't force her to talk about her dog if she doesn't want to - I know when my 17 year old cat died, I didn't want anyone to bring it up because it only made me cry when I thought about it.  And she's probably taking it extra hard because it was so sudden.

This exactly-even the part about not wanting to talk about the passing of my 17 year old cat.

Triple ditto.  When my cat died it was worse than any other death I had ever experienced to that point.  I really just retreated and didn't want to discuss it.  Knowing you're there for her is all you can do, without forcing her to talk. 

• I'm really sorry. This sucks. I'm writing this as I sit next to my Julia-dog.  We had a friend who lost their greyhound 2 years ago to cancer. I gave them a windchime.  They hang it near their bedroom window (indoors), but the window drafts and the kitty cats hitting it every so often gives it a little chime. I know they really appreciated it.