Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Vitamin D deficient?

I just got a phone call that I am Vitamin D deficient, like a lot.  I hate taking pills and there is not much food (naturally) that has Vitamin D- fish, beef liver, fish oil, eggs, fotified milk and mushrooms. 

I think the sun is also a good source for Vitamin D, but when I go to work before the suns up and come home as it's going down, that's not really an option especially this time of year.

Has anyone else every been Vitamin D deficient?

Re: Vitamin D deficient?

• I actually just had this discussion with my dr. the other day.

He said for pregnant women, especially in the winter, vitamin d supplements are super important.  Because the southern sun isn't as intense in the winter as in the summer, it is important.  Then add pregnancy on top of this.

I just bought some vitamins from my dr. (my chiro has a great brand) and plan to take them each day.

• Watch out on the beef liver. PG women aren't supposed to eat much of it. DH looked into it since I am so low in iron. 

Found this on baby center

Food sources of vitamin D

Fish liver oil, fatty fish, and fortified milk, egg, and cereal products all contain vitamin D. Be sure to check food labels: Some eggs, cheeses, yogurts, and cereals are fortified while others aren't. All milk is vitamin D fortified.

Here are some of the best food sources of vitamin D:

• 3 ounces catfish, cooked: 570 IU
    • 3.5 ounces salmon, cooked: 360 IU
    • 3.5 ounces mackerel, cooked: 345 IU
    • 3 ounces tuna fish, canned in oil: 200 IU
    • 1.75 ounces sardines, canned in oil, drained: 250 IU
    • 1 cup milk, fortified with 25% of daily value (DV) of vitamin D: 100 IU
    • 1 cup orange juice, fortified with 25% of DV of vitamin D: 100 IU
    • 1 cup fortified skim milk: 98 IU
    • 1 tablespoon margarine, fortified: 60 IU
    • 1 cup ready-to-eat cereal, fortified with 10% of DV of vitamin D: 40 IU
    • 1 egg yolk: 20 IU
  • I was when I was pregnant... they make some that are double the dose per pill, so you would only have to take 1 maybe... And they are super tiny if I'm remembering correctly. I think I bought those at Walgreens. Just take it with your prenatal if you can!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am Vitamin D deficient and I take 3 pills every day, you would probably only need 1 a day. They are super small, soft gels and I get them at Walgreens. 
  • I'm vitamin d deficient and have been for awhile.  you can buy Vitamin D pills over the counter.  I take the 1000 IU 1 per day.

But since being pregnant, I take a Calcium/Vitamin D pill and that is 2 times a day. 

• I started taking Vitamin D supplements a while back because I was told most people in the midwest are vitamin D deficient - especially in the winter.  They are tiny little gel caps.