Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Moms- storing kids papers, art projects, etc

Elsie's brought home, made at home, created a ton of papers, art projects, little knick-knack items that I've been storing in a pile on my desk.

What do you keep?  Get rid of?

How are you storing- a binder?  box?

It's so hard to throw away some of these cute little things, but is she or me really going to care about these items 20-30 years from now?  Like her hospital braclet from when she got corn stuck up her nose, I still have that or all her baby shower/birthday cards (I sent a bunch of our card covers to St Judes a couple years ago, I think I need to do this again).

Re: Moms- storing kids papers, art projects, etc

• I read in Parenting magazine a good suggestion was to store them in pizza boxes (ask for a clean/new one at a pizza place).  I thought that was a good idea.  I keep things in K's scrapbook now, but will eventually use a 12x12 plastic box that can be bought at a scrapbook store.
  • my mom kept some art projects, my braid when I cut my hair, hospital bracelet when I was born, a few outfits, things like that. She kept them in her cedar chest.
  • My mom's rule was if it was a handprint/footprint or something that showed my growth... she saved it. If it was a holiday thing that I made (Christmas "ornament", Mother's Day thing,etc...), she also saved that. Oh, and she saved any card I got until I was 2 or 3. She put her favorite 2-3 from each thing in my baby book and the rest are with all my art.

She used a small rubbermade container and still has it all in her garage!

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Right now for the kids, I have a folder for this years' school year.  At the end of the year, I will go through it and get rid of some of it.  Then I'm going to get a storage bin that you can place folders in and keep them lined up that way.  Then when they get older, I will give it to them and they can do what they like with it.

When my dad was about to pass, he gave me a large envelope of some past report cards and other school work I did that he kept. 

Another thing I have read is buy a frame that can easily open and close (hobby lobby has one) and put the pictures in there to be displayed.  Then it allows you to change it out periodically.

Another thing you could do is scan them and store them on a disc.  I have heard of some people who scanned the artwork and then made a quilt out of it for the kid.

For one of my SD's artwork, we scanned it and have made thank you cards for her to send to people.

• image sroby:

but is she or me really going to care about these items 20-30 years from now? 

Not sure if this will help but my mom didn't save a whole lot of my stuff and I really wish she would have. I see some of the things H's mom saved of his and I wish I had more stuff to look back at.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I saw a cute idea on tv once of a lady that bought treasure chests for each of her children and customized them with their names, art, etc. Then she kept almost everything they did and stored it in there as they grew up. She gave them each their treasure chest when they graduated from high school or maybe turned 18 or something. I thought it was a really, really cool idea.

Married the love of my life 6/3/06
    Became a family of three 8/25/09
  • I photograph everything and save it that way.  So many art projects have pieces that can fall off or get yucky so I am not keeping much.  This is really hard for me because I am a pack rat by nature, and my own mother kept EVERYTHING I had ever scribbled on from birth through high school. I know it hurt her feelings a little when I chucked most of it in a dumpster (except for a few things I thought my kids might like to see of mine when they are older and stuff from my first year of life or so...hospital bracelet, a few special outfits) when my parents divorced and we cleaned out their garage.  The tangible things I am keeping go in opaque storage containers (to avoid light bleaching things).  Not cardboard...I can't tell you how many nasty bugs and spiders were living in all of my mom's cardboard boxes of stuff.  Blech.
  • We do the same thing as Amy.  A picture is taken of everything and only a few items are kept.  Our house would be full of huge storage containers with art stuff if we kept it all.  Once they are in school is seems to really pile up...1st grade was the worst with Kaeden. 

Kaeden 2.25.03 Kendall 6.23.06 Kamryn 12.28.07 Kortney 7.1.09 #5 due 10.12.12 image
  • I have a hard time throwing things away, so we have huge paper grocery sacks just filled with stuff...and they are only in 1st grade/preschool...so it's only going to get worse!!  :)

I really don't have a baby book/scrap book for them other then just a photo album for each of them of their first year and tons of pics from the rest of the years.  I was just looking online at Ikea of all the storage stuff they have there and I need to get some bins to keep things in and just start going through it all.

I kept everything of theirs from the hospital; bracelets, blankets, room #, all the charts, pictures, cards, etc.  I will keep all their report cards and stuff like that.  Any type of award they got, if they are ever in the paper or name mentioned in any school newsletter, etc.

Right now I have manilla folders for most of that stuff.  One for each boy, and then a seperate one for all their school pictures/class picture, sports team pictures and its just all in their closet right now.

• image NebraskaBride06:
    I saw a cute idea on tv once of a lady that bought treasure chests for each of her children and customized them with their names, art, etc. Then she kept almost everything they did and stored it in there as they grew up. She gave them each their treasure chest when they graduated from high school or maybe turned 18 or something. I thought it was a really, really cool idea.

Kind of along these lines...I was watching Keeping up with the Kardashian's (ha!) and Chris had this huge trunk that she used to keep all of the kids monumental things in, artwork, the outfits they came home from the hospital in, baby blankets, etc. I thought it was kind of cool to just have one big truck or something and to just keep adding the "important" stuff to it...and it's a really cute idea to give it to them on their graduation day! Might have to do that :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image am073104:
    I photograph everything and save it that way.  So many art projects have pieces that can fall off or get yucky so I am not keeping much.  This is really hard for me because I am a pack rat by nature, and my own mother kept EVERYTHING I had ever scribbled on from birth through high school. I know it hurt her feelings a little when I chucked most of it in a dumpster (except for a few things I thought my kids might like to see of mine when they are older and stuff from my first year of life or so...hospital bracelet, a few special outfits) when my parents divorced and we cleaned out their garage.  The tangible things I am keeping go in opaque storage containers (to avoid light bleaching things).  Not cardboard...I can't tell you how many nasty bugs and spiders were living in all of my mom's cardboard boxes of stuff.  Blech.

This.

I photograph everything, and I plan on making it into a shutterfly photo book. One for each year of preschool, etc.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers