Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cooking question

My energy is finally coming back, and I'm not constantly nauseous when I smell food cooking. I'd love to be able to start cooking for DH but still can't handle the smell of onions (fresh cut - cooking and cooked are okay).

I was thinking DH could dice them up and we could freeze them in portions that most of our recipes call for (whole, 1/2, etc..). He's worried that it won't thaw well.

So, can I freeze and either thaw or cook frozen? Or do onions not thaw well?

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cooking question

• You can buy diced onions frozen at pretty much any grocery store.  I buy them because I hate cutting up onions, and they thaw fine for me.
  • I might get some from the store, just to start... But we both like fresh whenever possible, especially now that I'm feeling human again! It's nice to know that it's doable though! :-)
  • Ehhh, maybe.  What would you use them for?  If you were going to use them for salads, etc., then no.  Also, I don't think they'd work well for cooking, because they'd get watery when defrosting them.  Maybe only for soups, etc.  If you are going to do frozen, I'd stick with the stuff you can buy frozen.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If fresh really bothers you, then I would do dried over frozen.  As pp said, they do get really watery when defrosting them.  Can your DH just cut them up and put them in a chopper or a food processor?  If not, skip the onions until you want them.  Too bad for him! Stick out tongue
  • It's not that I mind the taste of onions - it's the smell of the raw onions that bother me. He works 6a-2p, but has to stay late almost every shift, so he can't cut them up before work.

Last night, I did everything BUT the onions, and then he went in and chopped them up while I hid in another room so I couldn't smell them!

If I thawed them during the day and drained them, would they be okay to cook them that night?

• I don't know if draining them will help that much.  However, if you are putting them in a skillet, just put them on a lower temp and cook longer, to get rid of the water.  Otherwise, if you are doing them raw (which I don't think you are) I wouldn't freeze them.

Another option, when he gets home, can he chop them for the next meal the night before?  I would just put them in the fridge.

• Yeah, he could probably do it the night before... That would make sense! He will probably still cook most nights since he gets home earlier than me, but it would be nice to be useful around here now that I'm not falling asleep at 5:00 every night and can stand the smell of food cooking!