Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

facebook poll

I'm thinking of deleting some "friends" on facebook and was wondering what all of you think about:

How do you decide who to delete (if you ever delete)?

Are you friends with co-workers?

Are you friends with your boss?

Are you friends with people who report to you?

Are you friends with people from high school with whom you haven't spoken since graduation?

If you answered no to any of the above, why not? If yes, why?

Any other general thoughts on this issue?

Re: facebook poll

• In general, I think that if it would be weird or awkward for a certain person to come talk to me in real life (because we don't know each other well or because it's been too many years), then why would we be virtual/electronic friends? I don't always accept these friend requests. I am friends with many coworkers, but I hide some of their posts because they remind me too much of work while I'm home relaxing. Not friends with bosses.

I deleted someone the other day. We used to be coworkers and she has since moved on to bigger and better things. While we worked closely at one time, I never got along the best with her, and I decided that every time I read her posts, I felt a "bubble deflating" feeling, like it stressed me out. I figured, who needs that?

Pregnancy TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • How do you decide who to delete (if you ever delete)?

Quite honestly, people that I don't really care to know about anymore or that I don't want getting updates about me.  Facebook was only colleges when I was in college so it was common to add people from your classes...I've dropped most of those people since I graduated.

A few but they have different privacy settings (can't see status updates/mobile uploads)

no, haven't been asked and I won't request.  I'd be willing to add with privacy settings like those on my co-workers

I don't have anyone report to me but if I did, same as boss/coworkers

Are you friends with people from high school with whom you haven't spoken since graduation?

yes, also people from elementary school (I moved).  This is one of my favorite parts as I can get updates on classmates  (marriages, kids, etc).  It is about the only way I do as I moved away and don't really keep in touch with anyone other than FB.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!

I haven't really gone through a "cleanse."  I'm more selective on the front-end, often declining requests. 

When I worked, yes -- a select few (who I'm still friends with and had relationships with outside the office).  I declined most requests, though, and didn't request any myself. 

When I worked, no.

I don't have anyone report to me but if I did, same as boss/coworkers

Yes.  A few random ones.  I think it's fun to keep up-to-date with where they are now.

When I've deleted, I've done it based on the amount of communication between that person and I, what motive I feel they have for being my "friend" at all, and if I feel like they are genuinely interested or just facebook stalking.

Some.  I'm very selective.  The ones I am friends with are people I actually hang out with outside of work.

No, and I actually have him blocked (same with a lot of my other co-workers).

N/A

Yes, but I've actually interacted with them via Facebook, which I think is nice.

I keep going back and forth about doing this.  At times I enjoy just looking at pictures to see what old high school people are doing but I don't interact and their status rarely ever comes up on my page so no harm no foul.

Only 3 people but friends with past co-workers.  I don't need people at work knowing my business.

With a past boss but not current.  I doubt my current would even know how to work facebook.  But on this same level, I keep everything pretty secure so potential employers can not access my stuff...not that I have anything too crazy out there.

Only with one person but it is a method of getting ahold of him.  He is also 14 so no harm done.

Yes.  I graduated with 46 people and there are some people I went to high school with (different school) that I haven't seen forever.  It is good to keep up with them since we were such a small school.

Now I have deleted family or hid family when you were allowed.  I had one cousin I completely took off because I was tired of her dramatic posts about her love life.  She told me she was just joking but I got tired of it.  Same with the other cousin.  It is constant..."Poor me" or a lot of profanity in the posts so I have to seek her out if I want to know what is going on with her.

• How do you decide who to delete (if you ever delete)? If I haven't responded to their status, they haven't responded to mine, or we don't talk on chat for more than 3 months.

Are you friends with co-workers? Yes, but I don't say anything about work problems.

Are you friends with your boss? No. We aren't friends, and I wouldn't have anything to say to her.

Are you friends with people who report to you? No. My para is on FB, but not often... so we've never added each other. I do have another of the school's paras - her classroom teacher is on her friends' list.

Are you friends with people from high school with whom you haven't spoken since graduation? Yes. We talk because of FB!

If you answered no to any of the above, why not? If yes, why?

Any other general thoughts on this issue?

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How do you decide who to delete (if you ever delete)?  If I haven't talked to someone in a while, or have decided that it's not necessary for them to know things about me, I usually delete.  I do a cleanse every so often.

Are you friends with co-workers?  Yes.

Are you friends with your boss?  Yes, my boss is cool and I never talk about work on FB.

Are you friends with people who report to you?  I don't have direct reports, so no.

Are you friends with people from high school with whom you haven't spoken since graduation?  Yes, even some I haven't talked to ever in high school.  I'm probably going to delete these people.

• Your post inspired me to do a long overdue purge :) thanks!

Married the love of my life 6/3/06
    Became a family of three 8/25/09
  • How do you decide who to delete (if you ever delete)?  if I don't really talk to them anymore or have much interest keeping up with their life anymore, or if I don't want them to be able to see anything about my life

Are you friends with co-workers? yes, but I rarely mention work on FB

Are you friends with your boss?  no

Are you friends with people who report to you?  yes, but my privacy settings are different for them

Are you friends with people from high school with whom you haven't spoken since graduation?  yes, I should probably purge my friends list again

• How do you decide who to delete (if you ever delete)?  I typically delete people who I don't correspond with on FB.  I wish I had been more selective when I first joined FB!   

Are you friends with co-workers?  Only a handful - but they're the ones I consider to be more of a friend.  I also refrain from saying anything about work.

Are you friends with your boss?  No way.  For many reasons.

Are you friends with people who report to you?  Well, there aren't very many people that necessarily report directly to me, but I oversee thousands of people.  I probably have about ten of those employees as friends - but have some things hidden from them (status updates, etc.), just in case. 

Are you friends with people from high school with whom you haven't spoken since graduation?  No.  I don't see what the point of being friends with someone is, if you don't ever talk to them?

BabyFruit Ticker