Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Where's my period?

I was on birth control for 7 years and went off of it in June so that I could get the IUD. I got my period in July when I used the morning after pill and again in August but I haven't had it since and it's practically December!

Three or four years ago I went off of birth control and this happened then. I don't understand why I haven't had it so long. I know that I'm not pregnant and I understand that it screws up your cycle but I don't know if I should be worried.

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any explainations that could help me?

I would appreciate any help/advice!

Re: Where's my period?

•   Go to your drug store and take a pregnancy test on the way to an exam by your physician.
  • Were your periods regular before you went on birth control?  I know some woman who didn't have a period for quite a few months after stopping birth control and were not pregnant as well.  My understanding is this is not abnormal to happen but if it concerns you a lot I would call up your doctor.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Weight and hormones can cause delayed or absent periods. If your body fat percentage is below a certain level, you may not get a period. I'm not sure if there's a proven link between extended use of BCP and irregular/absent periods, though.

I would definitely check with your doctor, and have them do a pregnancy test, as there's a chance the at-home tests are giving you false negatives.

• image Nanners09:

I was on birth control for 7 years and went off of it in June so that I could get the IUD. I got my period in July when I used the morning after pill and again in August but I haven't had it since and it's practically December!

Three or four years ago I went off of birth control and this happened then. I don't understand why I haven't had it so long. I know that I'm not pregnant and I understand that it screws up your cycle but I don't know if I should be worried.

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any explainations that could help me?

I would appreciate any help/advice!

Your body is adjusting still but better to be safe than sorry. Take a pregnancy test and schedule an appointment with your doctor.

• Not getting your period regularly can be an indicator of some type of medical problem. Call your doctor, get an exam.
  • So you have an IUD now yes?  A large number of women on IUDs stop getting their period.

Make an appt with your doctor anyway.

image.
  • Well, the last time I was on regular BC, when I stopped it took three months for me to get a period. But you said that you switched to an IUD, so I'm assuming you have that in now, and almost all of the people I know who have an IUD do not get periods at all. I agree with everyone else that if you are concerned you should definitely give your doctor a call, but if you have an IUD in, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.
  • I would call your Dr but I had this happen to me I didnt have a period for almost a year. my OB said it was fine and that it happens to some women but like clockwork on that 13th month I had a period...
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Did you get the iud? A lot of women with a hormonal iud stop getting their period
    [IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/k9ymop.jpg[/IMG]
  • I am sorry because I didn't word my first post correctly. I never actually went to get the IUD because I wanted to wait until my period was a little more regular.

Any of my exams have been normal and I haven't had any other extreme problems (i.e. cramping). My period has never been regular unless I am on the pill and I have been under a lot of stress lately so that is why I wasn't too concerned.

• I have had my IUD since Aug 2008.  I usually only spot every 4 months or so.  It really is quite normal