Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I think my mom takes the cake...

I'm not sure whether this is depressing or funny - but I thought I would share for the amusement of others.  My mom (God love her) has been "regifting" old toys and books that belonged to my brother and I (we are 38 and 40 now respectively) to our kids for Christmas and their birthdays.  For example, my 5 year old boy will be getting several old books and an old Star Wars puzzle for his birthday in January.  Now, I don't have a problem with this, the kids are still young enough to appreciate these types of "hand me down" toys.  But my mom also decided to buy my DH and I a $150 toaster oven for Christmas.  What's wrong with that you ask?  Well, she did so after calling us and asking if we wanted one (the answer was no thanks - ours works just fine).  Seriously, I don't know what to do with her! 

PS. Obviously, I haven't brought this up with my mom.  The kids have plenty of new presents and I appreciate the thought on the toaster oven.  She's just not very good at gift giving :).

Re: I think my mom takes the cake...

• lol, I guess you could just hang on to the toaster oven for the next wedding you're invited to ;)
  • After spending a lot of money to find my favorite childhood toy (Woodsies), I would have loved if my parents saved them.

The Woodsies also happen to be one of kiddo's favorite toys, too.

Please tell me someone else had Woodsies as a kid.

image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image mrs.starbucks:
    lol, I guess you could just hang on to the toaster oven for the next wedding you're invited to ;)

This is not a bad idea.  I mean, if it's in the package, and it's new.... people have done worse regifting.

Happy, the best dog ever. ~February 1998 - July 22, 2012
    I am "deaf-initely" one of a kind.

Follow me on Pinterest
  • image susiederkins:

After spending a lot of money to find my favorite childhood toy (Woodsies), I would have loved if my parents saved them.

I guess it doesn't help that I'm not very sentimental (and my mom clearly is).  It's just a little weird to have her give gifts to my kids of things that are already "mine".  Sigh.  We'll probably just hold onto the new toaster oven until the old one breaks.  They always do eventually :).

• image susiederkins:

After spending a lot of money to find my favorite childhood toy (Woodsies), I would have loved if my parents saved them.

This! I have spent a LOT of money collecting all the Rainbow Brite dolls in boxes in hopes that some day my children (hopefully a girl?) can enjoy them as much as I did in the 80s. I know they've re-released some of the dolls, but they just aren't the same.

• Your post about your mom reminds me of my grandma, who was probably the most frugal person I knew.  If it was cost-effective, she did it.  Clipped coupons for as long as coupons existed... made her own clothes... buying things in bulk, etc.   She was famous for it in my family. 

Apparently, when my cousin was still in college, she received a "thinking of you" card in the mail from grandma.  But when she opened it, there was nothing written in there... it was completely blank.  So she called my grandma to thank her for the card and casually mentioned the fact that the card was blank.  Grandma's response?  "Well, I wanted you to know that I was thinking of you.  And now you can re-use the card." 

It's a tangent, but I wanted to share. :) 

• My Grandmother is just like this!

She sent my H and I an engagement gift in the summer.  It was a Christmas candy dish and when we opened it up to actually look at the dish a little note fell out that said "To Grandma, Love Jean" (Jean passed away years ago).

Testing
  • image susiederkins:

ME!! ME!!  *** Raises hand excitedly ***

My mom actually saved mine for when my H and I decide to have children :)

Blog: Not to be Koi

Sara, Friend?
    glove slap. I don't take crap.
  • image saraelizabeth28:
    image susiederkins:

:) Most people look at me like I'm crazy.

image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image susiederkins:
    image saraelizabeth28:
    image susiederkins:

:) Most people look at me like I'm crazy.

I can't say I can recall Woodsies, but if I saw them I probably would remember. I'm 38 so I've been around for a lot of toys. :)  My all time favorites besides Barbies were the Lite Brite, Spirograph and Fashion Plates.  We went through scrap paper like crazy.  The Barbie Perfume Maker and Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine were a couple others that I couldn't get enough of. 

I had a huge Glamour Gals collection along with the Showplace and Party Place. I gave those to my oldest childhood friend for her daughters about 5 years ago.  Had I known 5-6 years ago that I'd be marrying a man with a daughter I wouldn't have sold all that stuff at a garage sale...SD is 12 and doesn't do "toys" unless they're electronic, but I'd have loved to have my old stuff to give her when the time comes for her to have children.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x200p0.jpg[/IMG]
  • This has to be some sort of Grandma thing, because my mom is doing the same thing. I don't have kids, but my brother has a 4 year old and 2 year old and when I was home for Thanksgiving, my mother suggested that for Christmas I give my 4 year old niece the baby doll crib and rocking chair that were mine as a child.

My response was, "Sure, she can have them. But I don't need to gift them to her for Christmas. I'll buy her a gift." It's strange. But hey, if that's what she wants to do, let it go and return the toaster for store credit!