Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

move update

I just wanted to give you all an update on our relocation plans since you have been so helpful with advice.  DH will be working in northwest Mount Vernon and I am currently looking for a job at an architectural firm all pretty much anywhere in the Puget Sound.  DH's job begins mid-Feb/March.  We spent last weekend visiting the Pacific Northwest for the first time to make sure we would like to live there (no real worries there) and what areas/neighborhoods we liked. 

On Thursday we flew into SeaTac, grabbed a late lunch on House of Hong (DH loves dim sum) and then drove around downtown for a little bit.  I didn't realize how steep the hills were downtown!  Around 3pm we drove up I-5 to Bellingham.  We drove through the small downtown of Mount Vernon to get a feel for where DH would work.  In Bellingham we had some dinner & beers at Broughton Brewery Downtown.  Friday morning we drove around checking out neighborhoods and fell in love with all the walking paths and greenbelts everywhere.  We had lunch in Fairhaven.  Our realtor was great and showed us nice housing developments that fit our desires, but most fell just outside our price range, especially if I don't find a job for months.  My job options in Bellingham are more limited than they would be in Seattle.  The 3 inches of snow to clean off our car Saturday morning sort of sealed the deal that we wanted to live further south.  (Don't worry we know how Seattle virtually shut down but that that doesn't happen that often - much less often than Bellingham).

We drove through Everett, Mill Creek, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Marysville, Arlington & Mukilteo.  We both know we are going to have horrible commutes but feel like Lake Stevens and Marysville will suit us the best.  We liked the neighborhoods there and the close proximity to shopping.  Mill Creek was great but too far of a commute for DH.  As long as I can utilize public transportation and park and rides I'm perfectly fine with a long commute.  I'm used to at least 30-40 minutes currently.  The Seattle area is beautiful!  We cannot wait to get there and start exploring all its wonders.

DH will be out again next week for some meetings in Bellevue.  Any further advice you have as we pinpoint houses to look at, job hunt etc, let me know. TIA

Jackie & Joe...May 19, 2007...Raleigh, NC
March 2011 moved to WA from Charleston, SC
live in Mill Creek, work in Seattle, DH works in Mt Vernon

Re: move update

• i'm glad you know seattle shuts down for a few inches of snow...that's just the way we work :)

marysville is a good middle-ground for your commutes...you will do just fine here!

♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • Are you talking about Boundary Bay?  I enjoy going there -- in the summer it's great to enjoy a local beer on the patio.

I don't expect this to change your decision, but while B'ham becomes a windy, icy, miserable place to be, it keeps on trucking.  Seattle and most of king and pierce county shut down in the snow.

EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • I'm glad you posted again! 

I'm not sure if you've nailed down housing yet but I know someone with a condo for rent in Mt. Vernon.  He is offering it for a month to month lease.  It's 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with an office and a garage.  

PM me if you want more info.  I grew up in MV so I know the area.

Good luck!

• image Bettylou79:

I'm glad you posted again! 

I'm not sure if you've nailed down housing yet but I know someone with a condo for rent in Mt. Vernon.  He is offering it for a month to month lease.  It's 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with an office and a garage.  

PM me if you want more info.  I grew up in MV so I know the area.

Good luck!

Thanks Bettylou79.  We don't plan to look at specific houses until our next trip out there in January.  There is a possibility I could find a job early and we may not have had our closing on the house yet.  We had discussed that we might live in an extended stay for awhile if need be.  Most likely DH will do that while he starts his new job and I secure everything & tie up lose ends in Charleston. 

DH is actually in Bellevue this week and going to Mount Vernon on Friday. I can't figure out how to PM anymore so please email me at jmstoehr at gmail dot com.  DH would love to get in touch w/ your friend and possibly see the condo or at least drive by then.  Thanks!

Jackie & Joe...May 19, 2007...Raleigh, NC
    March 2011 moved to WA from Charleston, SC
    live in Mill Creek, work in Seattle, DH works in Mt Vernon