Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

If you run with a coach...

how'd you find him/her? So far I'm having fun on my own, seeing what I can do and how I can push myself, but now that I'm consistently running 2min/mile faster than I used to think was fast, I kind of wonder what I'm capable of, and thought maybe structured "instruction" might help. Running PRs week after week is awesome, but I don't want to psych myself out or second-guess myself like apparently I've been doing for the past 6 years.

Re: If you run with a coach...

• I coach HS kids with my coach.  We got along well, I knew that his coaching worked for "the kids," so I asked if he would help me finish up my half marathon training I did in the summer (I trained myself for 95% of it).

I would ask at your local running store. My coach doesn't advertise his services, but lots of coaches do.

I've also done workouts with a local triathlon club--and they had a  coach for the running workouts. But I didn't workout with them for very long.

• image foundmylazybum:

I coach HS kids with my coach.  We got along well, I knew that his coaching worked for "the kids," so I asked if he would help me finish up my half marathon training I did in the summer (I trained myself for 95% of it).

I would ask at your local running store. My coach doesn't advertise his services, but lots of coaches do.

I've also done workouts with a local triathlon club--and they had a  coach for the running workouts. But I didn't workout with them for very long.

Thanks! I was heading there this week anyway.

• No advice but congrats on the 2 min/mile decrease in pace!
  • I second the local running store idea- between the owners, the patrons and all the community running contacts they can definitely point you in the right direction. Good luck!
    image image image
  • image myvette13:
    No advice but congrats on the 2 min/mile decrease in pace!

Thanks! 

• The other thing is..expect to pay. My coach and I work out a price that works for us. Other coaches will have their set prices. When I worked out with the triathlon club, I paid $50 in dues.

When I pay the money..it helps everyone actually be more invested in the process.  It's not like I'm sitting there thinking about the money all the time, but it does make me feel like.."hey, this is something I value right?" Right it is. Also, my coach is invested..he's not just a friend that I ask for help and he gives me "tips" he thinks out an entire season--it's that structure you are looking for. He also makes himself available! 

You aren't asking this, but I would think about WHAT you are looking for from this coaching experience. What sort of relationship you want, what distances you want to train for, what your goals are. B/C you sort of need to know if it's a good match in the coaching relationship...otherwise it won't be fun or successful. 

• image foundmylazybum:

The other thing is..expect to pay. My coach and I work out a price that works for us. Other coaches will have their set prices. When I worked out with the triathlon club, I paid $50 in dues.

When I pay the money..it helps everyone actually be more invested in the process.  It's not like I'm sitting there thinking about the money all the time, but it does make me feel like.."hey, this is something I value right?" Right it is. Also, my coach is invested..he's not just a friend that I ask for help and he gives me "tips" he thinks out an entire season--it's that structure you are looking for. He also makes himself available! 

You aren't asking this, but I would think about WHAT you are looking for from this coaching experience. What sort of relationship you want, what distances you want to train for, what your goals are. B/C you sort of need to know if it's a good match in the coaching relationship...otherwise it won't be fun or successful. 

I appreciate the tips and perspective, thanks!