Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Glee related confession

So I just watched the latest episode of Glee, and I have a confession...I don't get what the big deal is about The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago and hated it. The songs are OK - most are just blah but there are a couple good ones - but the plot itself? Ugh. I'm not averse to musicals (my mom is a huge fan so I grew up on a steady diet of them) or even black humor (one of my favorite musicals is Little Shop of Horrors) and I have no problem with the whole cross dressing and everything else, but it just seemed...I dunno...mean spirited? There was a sort of cruel vibe to it. And the leg eating bit? Ick!

Maybe it's something you have to grow up with to appreciate? Any RH lovers out there? What is it about it that appeals to you?

Re: Glee related confession

• I have never seen RH and honestly had no idea it was even a musical.  I watched Glee this week too and it got me curious about it.  I don't like horror movies, so that's why I just stayed away from it all together.  Needless to say, I was confused by the whole Glee episode.
  • image jaymers99:
    I have never seen RH and honestly had no idea it was even a musical.  I watched Glee this week too and it got me curious about it.  I don't like horror movies, so that's why I just stayed away from it all together.  Needless to say, I was confused by the whole Glee episode.

It's not horror in the traditional sense - not sure why they titled it that? It's about a young couple who end up at a weird house full of crazies (not like axe murderer crazies, just...looney people lol) and...oh, I don't know. It's hard to sum up, it doesn't really have a traditional storyline lol. 

• It's not a horror movie. It's a musical from the '70s. I think Rocky has a cult following because it's so ridiculously bad... and that it pushed a lot of boundaries for the time. I put it in the same category as a lot of Bruce Campbell films (from the Evil Dead films amongst others).

Having said that, the first time I saw the film, it was on tv and I hated it. The next time, I saw it in the theatre with everyone dressed up and the toast throwing and thought it was amazing. It makes all the difference in the world to experience it in that environment.

The only musical I really, really hate is Grease. THAT I cannot understand the obsession with. Even my 13 year old self thought the message was all messed up.

• I have never seen RH and really have never had any desire to see it.  I saw Glee last week and was kinda bored because I just didn't get into any of the songs they sang.  Maybe if I saw it in a theatre with the costumes and toast throwing I might get into it...who knows.

Glad I'm not the only who has thought this ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    | Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • Some of my "cooler" friends from high school that would probably be in the goth-type category nowadays were into Rocky Horror.  i became friends with them because several of them were yearbook editors with me.  they were more alternative.... one grew up and came out of the closet, etc.  (i lived in a very conservative white area) - they knew they were different from the norm, but they were okay with it.

Now that I write this, i guess in some ways they were like the Glee characters.  Anyway, I watched it a couple of times back then in that fun atmosphere of toast throwing, etc., and yeah, like Alyson says, that helps.  It's not about the movie itself as much as it is the camaraderie in watching it together at one of those midnight showings.  For me in high school in the 80s and early 90s, it was a thing for "out of the norm" people to have in common.  I think maybe that is the spirit in which Ryan Murphy (creator of Glee) sees it too?

• image MauiBride2008:

I have never seen RH and really have never had any desire to see it.

this.  and toast-throwing?  Huh?  (eta: i have NO idea what RH is about, all I know is that it's a lot of people in weird costumes...)