Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Day trip to big island in HI?

I posted on Travel, but thought I'd see if anyone here had suggestions.

We're heading to Oahu soon for a week and thought it'd be nice to do a day trip over to the big island.  Has anyone done this before and have any recommendations? Thanks!

image image
Moxie gives Scout the side eye

Re: Day trip to big island in HI?

• There's a lot to do on the Big Island, so a day trip might be frustratingly short. But if one day is all the time you have, I'd go to Volcanoes National Park because that's the most unique thing about the Big Island.
  • I agree with PP.  It's a huge island so you could easily do a week there and not see everything.  Plus, there is only one main road around the island and another main one that crosses near Mauna Kea, so it can take a long time to drive anywhere.  And I'm not sure where you'd fly into, but the Hilo side is a lot closer to the park than the Kailua-Kona side.  However, if you're just going to fly over for the day and  you're at the airport anyhow, you could look into a helicopter tour of the island and Volcanoes National Park.  I did that when we were there and it would be a good way to see the park if you have limited time.  Plus you get some good views inside the main crater, above some of the lava tubes and fields, and of the lava flowing into the ocean.

Married July 21, 2007

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image SkiHorse:
    There's a lot to do on the Big Island, so a day trip might be frustratingly short. But if one day is all the time you have, I'd go to Volcanoes National Park because that's the most unique thing about the Big Island.

This

• We honeymooned there---I'd hit Volcanos National Park, a black sand beach, maybe hit a coffee (or nut, etc) farm & drive to Hilo & hike up to the Falls there.  You could drive up to the top of the Island where there is an observatory but most rental car companies "forbid" it.  We stayed mostly in Kona & it is on the warm, dry side of the Island (it's very volcanic in landscape).
  • Thanks for the ideas.  We're definitely interested in the national park.  We may decide to stay a night over too, just to fit more in!
    image image
    Moxie gives Scout the side eye
  • Waipio Valley is breathtaking to see. I think you should make time for it if you're staying overnight. If you plan to drive across the island you can fly into an airport on one side then fly out of the airport on the other side so you're not backtracking. They are both popular airports, Kona and Hilo so finding flights out of them back to Oahu shouldn't be an issue.
    Anniversary
    *photo removed*
  • Both times I've been to Hawaii, I've stayed on the big island (friend/family there). There's just SO much to do!  Definitely stop off at Volcanoes NP, and check out the Winery in Volcano, too.  Tour one of the Coffee farms and you MUST have a piece of Mac Nut pie (it's a bit north of Kona on the highway - can't miss it).  Best.pie.ever.  The best guide book is: The Big Island Revealed - it'll lead you to some really, really awesome places.  If you have time, go snorkeling in Champagne Ponds - we had a blast swimming with the turtles in these quiet, little isolated ponds (that virtually NO ONE knows about). ;-)
  • image katydid17:
    The best guide book is: The Big Island Revealed - it'll lead you to some really, really awesome places. 

We loved this guide book too.  If I only had a day on the big island, I think I'd do a helicopter tour of Volcanoes NP.