Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

*redshoe*

Sending more thoughts, prayers and extra good vibes your way. How are you holding up? How is your brother?

Newlyweds since 2007

Re: *redshoe*

• Thank you...I'm doing OK. I go through my day normally, then have a little crying jag at night. Not being able to do anything and knowing what a huge uphill battle he has after he is released from the hospital in a month or two is hard.

I'm not sure if they've brought him out of the medical coma yet - my mom said last night that he was still heavily sedated - not sure if she meant regular sedation or still in the coma. He's having the first skin graft surgery (I think for his torso?) tomorrow, so please send vibes that goes well and his body doesn't reject the transplant.

As a side note, I've always been an organ donor but none of my family members or friends has ever had a transplant, and this has made me extremely grateful for people who donate. I've said a quiet word of thanks to the donor who said yes to skin donation - they're saving my brother's life. So if anyone on this board is registered as a donor, please know that someday there may be someone as grateful as I am for your gift.

• I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and your brother too.
  • Hope his surgery goes well tomorrow. Hang in there and lots of vibes, thoughts and prayers to your family...
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • I'm so sorry to hear about what happened...Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt145bb3.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image redshoegirl:

I'm not sure if they've brought him out of the medical coma yet - my mom said last night that he was still heavily sedated - not sure if she meant regular sedation or still in the coma. He's having the first skin graft surgery (I think for his torso?) tomorrow, so please send vibes that goes well and his body doesn't reject the transplant.

I work in the Trauma ICU, but occassionally float to the burn center at our hospital. Typically, we use sedation to put someone into an induced coma, just so that we can provide pain relief and comfort (so they won't fight against the breathing tube). My guess is that if they're still doing skin grafts on him, that he'll be sedated for a little while until the major areas are done. Are they able to use any of his upper body skin as possible donor graft sites? I, too, am so grateful for all the donors out there.

I'm not sure if he's nearby me or anything, but if you ever come to visit him and he's near us....you are more than welcome to crash at our place. Let me know what we can do to help.

Keep us updated! hang in there :T

• just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you, Lisa!  I believe last week was your first few days back at work too, right?  Sad  how is that going?  hope your brother's surgery is going/went well today...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sandra, yes, it was my first week back at work - my mom called me just after I got home on Friday. Sad

image S&D2HI:

I work in the Trauma ICU, but occassionally float to the burn center at our hospital. Typically, we use sedation to put someone into an induced coma, just so that we can provide pain relief and comfort (so they won't fight against the breathing tube). My guess is that if they're still doing skin grafts on him, that he'll be sedated for a little while until the major areas are done. Are they able to use any of his upper body skin as possible donor graft sites? I, too, am so grateful for all the donors out there.

I'm not sure if he's nearby me or anything, but if you ever come to visit him and he's near us....you are more than welcome to crash at our place. Let me know what we can do to help.

Keep us updated! hang in there :T

Thank you so much! 

From what my mom has told me, they still have him sedated but it's lightened up a little - he can occasionally carry on a (very short) conversation now and they've removed the breathing tube. I got it wrong - the surgery today was for his legs and abdominal area. As far as I know, all of the grafts are coming from donors. Since the large areas of his body (legs and I think about 2/3 of his torso) were the ones that were burnt, I believe there just aren't any areas of his own skin large enough to graft from.

• awww lisa, i just saw the posting below... and i wanted to say that it just makes me so sad. i'm totally praying for you guys and for the doctors and your brother....

*hugz* i have no words, but i'm also here for you too..

D started out as a LUCKY CHARM but ended up being our LOVEBUG image
    hawaii 10.2008 plan ;P married bio ???
  • I continue to think of you and your family. Please let me know if I can be of any help as far as resources are involved.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers