Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Ugh, what can I do about 'White-O-Ween'?

You'll remember my past rants about racist Halloween in Fairmount.  This year, again, the Sunday before "because of working parents" doesn't really work because Halloween is ON a Sunday.

I have talked to a couple of locals who agree that this practice is rooted in racism and in incidents some of which are AS OLD AS THE '70's, none of which have taken place in the last 5-10 years.

This year I got a tiny little slip of paper in my mailbox again, I have no IDEA who put it there.  "Because of Fairmount tradition (who says!!!!????) trick or treating will be held on Sunday the 24th from 5-7 pm.

Once again I'll be doling out candy two weekends in a row because I don't support denying either group of children, either the ones from my neighborhood, some of whom are black or the ones from up Girard way, most of whom are black.

For the record quite a few of the "neighborhood" kids this year and their parents were super trashy and rude as fuuck.

What should I do - I thought about putting the story in front of Philly mag or City Paper to see if there was any interest...

I'm really at a loss.  Short of putting a sign on my door on White-O-Ween that says WE WILL HAND OUT CANDY ON ACTUAL HALLOWEEN ONLY BECAUSE WE DON'T SUPPORT FAIRMOUNT TRADITION... I guess I am a giant coward because I really don't want to deal with the haters singling us out for nastiness.  Bleh.

I suppose I'm too late this year now anyway.

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!

Re: Ugh, what can I do about 'White-O-Ween'?

• sign on the door that says "halloween candy will be given out on halloween. see you then!"
  • This sounds like a case for the NBC10 investigators.
    Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • same thing was suggested by a resident in pennsport on fb. but pennsport is just doing their Boo streets again designating safe trick or treating streets for all the kiddies in pennsport on Halloween. 
  • for a minute i thought you needed an all white halloween costume a la p. diddy.

i would honestly stop giving out candy on fairmount halloween and only give it out on real halloween.  it seems like those awful children from the outskirts of the neighborhood still come so i would just keep on going with real halloween.  in all likelihood, i would be the neighbor who forgot about fairmount halloween anyway and was giving kids apples out of my produce drawer.  are there other dissenters who give out candy on real halloween? 

• image laptopprancer:

You'll remember my past rants about racist Halloween in Fairmount.  This year, again, the Sunday before "because of working parents" doesn't really work because Halloween is ON a Sunday.

I have talked to a couple of locals who agree that this practice is rooted in racism and in incidents some of which are AS OLD AS THE '70's, none of which have taken place in the last 5-10 years.

This year I got a tiny little slip of paper in my mailbox again, I have no IDEA who put it there.  "Because of Fairmount tradition (who says!!!!????) trick or treating will be held on Sunday the 24th from 5-7 pm.

Once again I'll be doling out candy two weekends in a row because I don't support denying either group of children, either the ones from my neighborhood, some of whom are black or the ones from up Girard way, most of whom are black.

For the record quite a few of the "neighborhood" kids this year and their parents were super trashy and rude as fuuck.

What should I do - I thought about putting the story in front of Philly mag or City Paper to see if there was any interest...

I'm really at a loss.  Short of putting a sign on my door on White-O-Ween that says WE WILL HAND OUT CANDY ON ACTUAL HALLOWEEN ONLY BECAUSE WE DON'T SUPPORT FAIRMOUNT TRADITION... I guess I am a giant coward because I really don't want to deal with the haters singling us out for nastiness.  Bleh.

I suppose I'm too late this year now anyway.

I remember this from last year.  I kind of agree with Lachute but I feel a bit like you... that I wouldn't have the brass ones to actually put the sign on my door in fear of the haters and how they would rebel. This really sucks. It's a shame. I'm sorry you even have to deal with something like this.  

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116b04.aspx[/img][/url]
  • My mom's neighborhood gets the same BS, although no one ever gets it together enough to actually have fake Halloween.

But dear god.  If a kid's neighborhood is so cracked out they can't even trick or treat there, what is the BFD about giving them a mini-Snickers?  Who cares?

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • my neighborhood is probably not the best to go trick or treating in and we would probably go somewhere i deemed a bit more kid friendly when we eventually take babe out. 
  • i grew up in a neighborhood that has had a white-o-ween for about 15 years now. it is usually ToT 1-3 followed up by a big party at our church hall.  i did like having it on a weekend during afternoon hours but i agree it is unfair.

before this my parents had a big to-do at their house every year, themed with food, games, prizes, etc etc open to anyone that wanted to stop by. we did have a few years that people broke into our house or tried to steal the give aways and that kind of sucked though.

this year since it is on a sunday, i kind of hope pennsport does a set time during daylight hours. more so out of convenience and selfish reasons, we have another party to attend after ToT and I am an old hag that wants to be home early so i can go to bed and ready for work the next day

David John 4.19.01
    Jonathan Dean 4.5.08
    Anna Capri 5.4.11
  • image amy052006:

My mom's neighborhood gets the same BS, although no one ever gets it together enough to actually have fake Halloween.

But dear god.  If a kid's neighborhood is so cracked out they can't even trick or treat there, what is the BFD about giving them a mini-Snickers?  Who cares?

I know, this kills me.

Some others besides me give out candy on actual Halloween, I'm not the only one.

This year I was tempted to drop flyers all over Girard Avenue advertising that my street was having Halloween on the 24th.

I did start writing something about it, I think I will finish it and send it along to some media outlets before the weekend.

• image stilldreaming:
    same thing was suggested by a resident in pennsport on fb. but pennsport is just doing their Boo streets again designating safe trick or treating streets for all the kiddies in pennsport on Halloween. 

See, this is organized and presumably you have some idea of the people who organize this.

I have NO CLUE who named this "tradition", and who keeps perpetuating it with their stupid little slips of paper.  It's very confusing for the new residents who will be like, "why are all these kids at my door we just had Halloween last Sunday..... Oh. OHHHH."

• Send an e-mail to Stu Bykofsky.  I know someone who did that and he wrote up a story. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • ugh, LTP i remember this from last year.  i am so sorry you have to deal with this.  i would do as others say and give out candy on halloween only.  and i would definitely let some type of media outlet know about it..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image amy052006:
    This sounds like a case for the NBC10 investigators.

I was going to say the same thing LOL 

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8202881603_878eb759e5_m.jpg[/img]
  • image amy052006:
    This sounds like a case for the NBC10 investigators.

I was going to say the same thing LOL 

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8202881603_878eb759e5_m.jpg[/img]
  • this was written on the wall of the pennsport civic associations FB website. for a history, last week someone was murdered and then 56 cars had acid poured on them near 200 and wolf/jackson (near the jomar fabric!)

"I think halloween should be a different day or at our park for OUR Neighborhood kids..and then halloween night they can trick or treat in their own neighborhood and cause trouble there"

• ltp do you read the philly speaks community? there was a post about this it looks like:

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/fairmount-spring-garden-francisville/17243-trick-treaters.html 

• Thanks, lachute!
  • I don't know the whole background on this, but I could get Dan Cueller all up in this.  I know it's not the NBC Investigators, but if it is something you are very passionate about, shoot me an email.

HonestlyOK613 at gmail dot com

Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10 
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011