Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Friends Dealing with Tough Time

I will probably DD later, but I need some advice.  My H and I are friends with another couple who recently got married.  I'm closer friends with the guy, but over the last few months the wife and I have gotten closer.  We aren't extremely close, but we went to each other's weddings, we go to the same parties, chat on FB, text sometimes, etc.  Although we aren't super tight, I really care about the both of them.

Well, I found out the other day that the wife tried to commit suicide and now she is getting help for this.  I feel horrible for both of them...I can't imagine what they are going through.  Neither of them actually told me about it, so I'm not sure if I should say anything or not to them.  They both "released a statement" on FB, saying something along the lines of "Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers during this difficult time, etc." but didn't say what happened.

I want to email or text them or something to say that I'm thinking of them and that I'm here if they ever need me.  Is this appropriate, since neither of them told me about it?  I hate to not say anything, but at the same time, I don't want to be invasive.  What do you all think?  Thanks...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Friends Dealing with Tough Time

• They posted it on FB - you can send them a message telling them you are here for them.  I would NOT state, though, that you know what the issue is.  They haven't told you, leave it out.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Since they addressed it on FB (gah! I hate that website) - you can go ahead and let them know that you are there for them.

I agree with not letting them know you know what the particulars are - just let them know if they need anything, you're around.

Thats the best you can do.

:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ...here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart I carry your heart(I carry it in my heart)
  • image EastCoastBride:
    They posted it on FB - you can send them a message telling them you are here for them.  I would NOT state, though, that you know what the issue is.  They haven't told you, leave it out.
    This, exactly.
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x200p0.jpg[/IMG]
  • image Alishanyc:

Since they addressed it on FB (gah! I hate that website) - you can go ahead and let them know that you are there for them.

I know...it really surprises me what people put on there! 

• image mlee116:
    image Alishanyc:

Since they addressed it on FB (gah! I hate that website) - you can go ahead and let them know that you are there for them.

I know...it really surprises me what people put on there! 

Its amazing to me. This week alone, I had someone (related by marriage) post that her mother in law passed away, and that she'd post funeral arrangements next. Directly after that post, literally like 20 minutes - she posted about the Yankees game. WTF?

Someone else posted about their husband's infidelity with a good friend.

There is no sense of privacy with FB anymore

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ...here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart I carry your heart(I carry it in my heart)
  • I completely agree. Since they put it on FB there is no reason why you can't just shoot a message saying "T&P are with you guys, and if you need anything don't hesitate to call/ask!" I would definitely leave out the actual incident and let them come forward with it when they are ready. It's hard enough dealing with it, but then having to answer a million questions just makes it that much more complicated.
  • Why anyone would 'release a statement' about something so personal, is beyond me. Is nothing private anymore?

I would do what ECB said.

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/29az2ps.jpg[/IMG]
  • Thanks for the advice, ladies.  I emailed my friend and he did mention what happened.  I feel so bad for them.

And yes, ITA with the FB thing...people get way too personal.  I have a friend who talks about her marital problems on there, especially about how her husband spends every dime they have and even worse stuff.  I don't get it!