Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Camera hunting -- Help!

OK, you all know a lot about cameras, so hopefully you can help! I really really really want a DSLR...

I've it down to a Nikon DSLR, but other then the price, I am having trouble seeing the difference between Nikon's D90, D5000 and new D3100.

Well, the D3100 has a higher megapixel (14 vs 12.3 on the other two), and there's slight differences in frames per second, but beyond that, I'm really at a loss to determine which one I want! Help!

I thought I wanted the D90... But the D5000 and D3100 are less expensive. So if I get the D90, I'm trying to figure out what my extra $$ is paying for?

(I don't think the D40 or D60 are available anymore...)

TIA!
Malia & Dave & Alexa
Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
Baby Blog
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Camera hunting -- Help!

• We have the Nikon D5000 and so far I loooove it :)  Although I'm not great at taking pictures yet, I know it's a camera I can grow into as I start learning more.  I have noticed though that I do not like the kit lens and I really want to get a better lens, but that will come in time when I start fiddling with things more.

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you end up gettting, DSLR's are so much fun! :)

| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • The D5000 is cheaper than the D90 because it doesn't have the autofocus motor built into the camera's body so if you want different lenses, they will be pricier because the lenses you buy will need to have the autofocus feature in the lens (AF-S).  This may or may not matter to you if you plan to only use the kit lens (the lens the camera comes with).  I believe the D90 also has a lot more focus points than the D5000.
  • Oh I am so happy you posted this! I just asked a similar question on facebook not too long ago. I can't WAIT to get a DSLR but don't know what I am doing when researching them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers