Hawaii Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Another question about your rings...

Okay, so I went to get my rings cleaned again today :X  I asked them to re-dip it too since my white gold was turning yellow.  They said their in-store jeweler was injured, so they'd have to send it out to their other jeweler to get done.  I said okay and handed over my rings.  Hubby was surprised (and kind of upset) that I just handed over my rings like that.  He didn't like the idea of some guy messing around with the rings outside of the store and worried about him switching out the diamonds or something.  Now I am kind of paranoid.  What do you guys think?  Is there something I should have done differently, or do I just have to put my trust in them?  Anything I should do to check when I pick up my ring?  I don't really want to insult them or accuse them of anything...especially since I see them every couple months to get my rings cleaned!

Re: Another question about your rings...

• I'm sure it will be okay - this is a reputable jeweler, right?  My jeweler is fantastic, but when I had problems with my E-ring setting (it really got mauled), they fixed it once in-house and the diamond came loose again, so they sent it to the designer to be redone (the original damage was my fault, but all of this cost me $0, I love my jeweler!).

It went out of the store, but I wasn't worried because these places stake their own reputation on the work of their staff and any other jewelers/designers who do work for them.  If you're comfortable with your jeweler, you probably don't need to worry about this other guy doing anything shady.

If you get it back and you're still worried or suspicious, have it checked out independently to make sure your diamonds match the ones documented on the paperwork that came with the ring.

• Thanks, that makes me feel better!  I trust the store, and they (hopefully) trust this jeweler, so I'll put my faith in that...  Getting it checked out independently is a great idea...why didn't I think of that?!   I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, though.
  • The place DH purchased my e-ring only does their jewelry off site and I totally trust them. The only problem is that my ring is gone longer which I hate. I am sure everything will be just fine...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • There's no place in my town that does this onsite - they all have to be sent away to another city. Like the pp, the only problem is that my ring is gone longer. Stick out tongue
  • Got my rings back...all seems to be fine.  They look good as new and are so sparkly!  Thanks for calming my fears while they were out!
  • hrm, interesting.  the one time i've had to leave my ring in store for a repair, they inspect it and mark down all sorts of stuff (exact dimensions, cut, clarity, any blemishes in the diamond, estimated value etc) and had me review and sign before i left.  and they didn't even send it offsite!  i think the intention was both to 1. make sure we all agreed on what i was leaving behind, so when i came to pick up, there was no question on either side that they were giving me the right ring with the right diamond it in, and 2. if the store burned down, the ring got stolen, etc, we agreed how much they owed me in a replacement.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image SanHawaii08:
    hrm, interesting.  the one time i've had to leave my ring in store for a repair, they inspect it and mark down all sorts of stuff (exact dimensions, cut, clarity, any blemishes in the diamond, estimated value etc) and had me review and sign before i left.  and they didn't even send it offsite!  i think the intention was both to 1. make sure we all agreed on what i was leaving behind, so when i came to pick up, there was no question on either side that they were giving me the right ring with the right diamond it in, and 2. if the store burned down, the ring got stolen, etc, we agreed how much they owed me in a replacement.

This! My diamond has an inscription that can only be seen under a jeweler's microscope. I had to get my ring re-sized because I told MH my ring size was one size bigger than it was so my ring kept falling off my finger =P So when we took it in, the store attendants, MH, and I all looked at it together, recorded the inscription down so both sides can verify it. I agree that it's also to protect themselves...in the case that they get burglarized or something while your ring is in their possession. But you already got your ring back safe and sound so it's all good =)

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • hmmm...interesting.  you know, i don't even know the specifications of my diamond.  hubby chose it himself.  he has the paperwork somewhere, but i never asked to see it...  Huh?