June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Living Abroad

If you have the chance to move overseas for a few years, would you do it?

DH has an oppurtunity with his company to go to China for a 1-2 year assignment. If he takes it, we would probably sell our house and I would quit my job to go with him. We are looking into the oppurtunity but haven't committed to anything. Would you take an oppurtunity like this if you were given one?

Re: Living Abroad

• Pre-Amelia I would have considered it but I would have a lot of questions.  Is there any additional money involved?  Do they assist with finding a place to live?  Are you in a place in your career that you could take off a year or two and still accomplish long term goals?  How would it work out if your house did not sell before it was time to move?
  • DH & I would be very interested in something like that. It would depend on the compensation package of course, and I would definitely be hesitant to sell the house in this market. Is there any way you can try to rent it out while you are gone?
  • Before kids, yes, without a doubt, we'd do it. Almost wouldn't matter where, but would have to compensate enough for both of our incomes.
    We have so much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.
    My Bio (wedding pics added 7/6)
    My 101
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As long as  the compensation was appropriate, then yes, in a heartbeat. I would probably rent out our home instead of trying to sell.

We really don't have anything tying us down at home right now, so we would jump at a chance like that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.12
    <a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/chaleybeth06/?action=view
  • It's hard to say. It would probably depend on where it was... and if the one salary would be enough to compensate for the move. I'd probably be interested if I knew it would only be for like a year, but I'm not sure I could convince DH. Plus our pet situation would make moving complicated.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/megs1383/4443972791_4c93e2a3c2_m.jpg[/IMG]

Baby #1 EDD 11/13/13
  • Call me Angelina, but if the compensation was good and the place was appealing, I'd move for a year even with a dog and baby.
    [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2nqdy12.jpg[/IMG]
  • You all had pretty much the same questions that I did. It's still too early to really dive into most of the answers. Lucky for us, the housing market is still good in our town and with our improvements, I don't think we would have too much trouble getting rid of it if that is what we decide to do.
  • image keb270:
    You all had pretty much the same questions that I did. It's still too early to really dive into most of the answers. Lucky for us, the housing market is still good in our town and with our improvements, I don't think we would have too much trouble getting rid of it if that is what we decide to do.

Would you be sad to walk away from your rennovations, though?

• It would depend on where for me...China prob not.  Spain...South Africa...Australia...Ireland...absolutely!!
  • image stephriz:

Would you be sad to walk away from your rennovations, though?

Yes! But then again, knowing my husband, we would find new ones quickly

• I haven't responded to any messages before, but your post is very close to my own situation. 

This sounds very similar to what DH and I faced a couple of years ago.  We had an opportunity to move to China and did so.  We have now been here almost 3 years. It was a tough decision and no doubt living here is very different then North America, but overall we enjoy it.  We both do recognize that it is not a place we will live forever.

Where in China were you looking at?

• image kackle02:

I haven't responded to any messages before, but your post is very close to my own situation. 

This sounds very similar to what DH and I faced a couple of years ago.  We had an opportunity to move to China and did so.  We have now been here almost 3 years. It was a tough decision and no doubt living here is very different then North America, but overall we enjoy it.  We both do recognize that it is not a place we will live forever.

Where in China were you looking at?

Wow! It's great to hear from someone who did something similar. We would be about an hour outside of Beijing

• I am about an hour outside of Hong Kong :)  I haven't been up to Beijing yet but I can tell you a little about my experiences here, if you are interested.