Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Weight loss help/advice needed

Sorry this is long but I wanted to give some background so hopefully someone can help.

I'm 28 with 2 kids and I've always had to work hard to stay small (and by small I mean around a size 8 or 10.  The smallest I've ever been was high school when I was a 4 or 6 but I had an eating disorder).  After my first son I lost 55-60 lbs within 7 months by working out and eating right.  After son #2 I haven't been able to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and he just turned 2.  I got down to around 5 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight with him last Dec and then gained 5 back from Dec-May.  I stayed at this weight even though I was counting calories (sparkpeople) and working out almost daily.  Since late May I have gained almost 20 lbs.  I haven't been counting my calories since May but I do eat healthy almost all the time (grilled chicken/fish, veggies, lots of water, limited fast food/sugar/fried foods, etc).  I also got upset with myself to the point where I stopped working out about a month ago (I've gained about 5 lbs since then so yeah great idea I know).  I went to the dr. to get my thyroid checked and a few other things, but all they found was a Vitamin D deficiency.  I've started suppliments and do have a little more energy, but I feel fat and nasty and need to lose weight.  This is the largest I've ever been (except when pregnant) and I'm not happy with myself.  I was within 15 lbs of my goal weight but now I'm 35 lbs away.  I've vowed to start exercising again (walking, elliptical, or workout videos), but I need help with food.  Clearly counting calories wasn't working b/c I was still at least 15 lbs away (I had around 5 lbs of pregnancy weight and then wanted to lose another 5-10)  from a good/healthy weight and I wasn't losing anymore.  I don't really want to give up carbs (I already eat whole grains and stay away from processed foods) b/c I don't think I could do it for forever and I would just gain weight back.  One of my friends suggested Weight Watchers, but we don't have the money right now for me to join and isn't this similar to counting calories?  Anyway any suggestions on what might be going on with my body and what I can do?  

A little bit more info.  Here is a sample menu of what I eat:

Breakfast-oatmeal, egg beaters w/turkey bacon, or greek yogurt w/honey

Lunch-boca burger on whole wheat bun, turkey sandwich on wheat, salad w/low fat dressing

Snack-almonds, greek yogurt, fruit, or low fat cottage cheese w/fruit

Dinner-grilled chicken/fish/pork/ground turkey, veggies, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc

When I was doing sparkpeople I was almost always within my calories/fat/carbs but if I wasn't then I was on the low side.  I also drink a lot of water every day and only drink soda on rare occasion.  I stay away from sweets and normally on drink alcohol on the weekends but I don't binge or anything (and I always added this in when I was counting calories).  

Thanks for any help! 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Weight loss help/advice needed

• Your sample menu looks pretty good, but a little low on fruit/veggies.

Two things could be happening that I can think of.  When you are counting calories are you weighing your food to be sure of portion sizes?  It's easy to overestimate and go over on calories if you don't?

Also, when you used spark people did you add back calories burned during exercise?  I've heard that the sparkpeople calorie allowances are pretty low.  If you were on the low side of the allowed calories and then not eat back what you burned you might not have been eating enough.

You say you got to within 5 lbs of your goal weight.  Maybe this is your bodies "happy weight" and keeping up that extra 5 lb loss when you acheived it would be extremely difficult.

• image FinallyKrisB:

Your sample menu looks pretty good, but a little low on fruit/veggies.

Two things could be happening that I can think of.  When you are counting calories are you weighing your food to be sure of portion sizes?  It's easy to overestimate and go over on calories if you don't?

Also, when you used spark people did you add back calories burned during exercise?  I've heard that the sparkpeople calorie allowances are pretty low.  If you were on the low side of the allowed calories and then not eat back what you burned you might not have been eating enough.

You say you got to within 5 lbs of your goal weight.  Maybe this is your bodies "happy weight" and keeping up that extra 5 lb loss when you acheived it would be extremely difficult.

Yes I was measuring portion sizes and using my food scale.  I was also adding my exercise in on sparkpeople.

Could be that is my bodies new happy weight but pre-kids I was actually quite a bit smaller.

Thanks for the ideas/info! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Your body changes after you have children. You may never be "high school skinny" again.

I recommend going to a registered dietitian for a few sessions. She can evaluate what you eat and give you advice on the proper portions, different foods, etc. The going rate is about $100/session, but sometimes your insurance will pick it up if you can get a referral from a doctor. (Call your insurance carrier to check on this.)

If you are really unhappy with how you look once you drop some weight and are finished having children, you can always consider a "mommy makeover" with a board certified plastic surgeon.