Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Thursday randoms

Good news:  We found out what is causing T's chronic cough.

Bad news:  We found out what is causing T's chronic cough.

Dogs and dustmites.  We have two dogs.  Sad

Re: Thursday randoms

• Glad you found out, but oh no! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I cannot believe it's the last day of September!
  • Oh no!  I'm sorry D&M, do you know what you're going to do?

I also cannot believe it's the last day of September.  Last night, Andy was watching the 2nd part of the Ken Burns Tenth Inning (followup to the Baseball documentary).  He missed the first part so I looked up when it was going to replay:

Me: Let's see, it will replay on October . . .

Andy:  Not until October?!  Come on!

Me: October starts on Friday honey.

• D&M: Oh no!  What do you plan to do?

I have decided that if my marriage can survive this relocation, it can survive anything!  lol  

Right now we can't decide if we want to move to the east side of  Mi or Toledo. . .  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• That sucks D&M - DH had to have allergy shots as a baby/kid because he was allergic to the family cat. 

Mira, we have friends in Toledo and they really like it there! 

IMG_0888edit Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't know exactly what we are going to do yet.  We have a plan that will get us to October 28th and we will re-evaluate then.

Right now the plan is to start the 2 (two!!! Sad) inhalers, and Zyrtec (when needed), keep the dogs away from T as much as possible (out of his room and playroom at all times), vacuum daily, and give the dogs a bath as much as possible.  (The doctor suggested that we bathe them on a daily basis, but said she knows that's not very likely to happen.  So we are aiming for once or twice a week.)

And actually she said we should get rid of them, but H is hesitant.   So we are going to try these things first.  We have a follow up appointment on Oct 28th.

• image Desmond&MollyJones*:

We don't know exactly what we are going to do yet.  We have a plan that will get us to October 28th and we will re-evaluate then.

Right now the plan is to start the 2 (two!!! Sad) inhalers, and Zyrtec (when needed), keep the dogs away from T as much as possible (out of his room and playroom at all times), vacuum daily, and give the dogs a bath as much as possible.  (The doctor suggested that we bathe them on a daily basis, but said she knows that's not very likely to happen.  So we are aiming for once or twice a week.)

And actually she said we should get rid of them, but H is hesitant.   So we are going to try these things first.  We have a follow up appointment on Oct 28th.

Good luck - everything you described is why we got our Gordie.  New baby got cough, tried to figure it out for a long time, finally found out it was dog, bathed dog near daily, kept dog away from baby, vaccuumed daily, etc.

I know it's got to be hard to deal with - (hugs).

• image MrsJuliD:
    Good luck - everything you described is why we got our Gordie.  New baby got cough, tried to figure it out for a long time, finally found out it was dog, bathed dog near daily, kept dog away from baby, vaccuumed daily, etc.

I know it's got to be hard to deal with - (hugs).

Well that's not very promising. 

Stick out tongue

I'm half hoping that when my neighbors find out T's allergic and we're most likely going to have to get rid of them they will offer to take them.  Long shot, I know, but she did just mention opening up a doggy day care.  So she was planning on having them about 9 hours a day anyway, what's another 15?  Angel

• Desmond - hang in there. I hope that you are able to find out a solution that can suit you all.

I was late this morning due to an accident on 131 south near 28th St. This is the 2nd day in a row. Wonder if I should just take 96 tomorrow. LOL.

Mike got me the Ipod speakers that I wanted and some money towards hair. I got gc to Target so I went last night. I really had my eyes set on this black cordorroy jacket for fall but some reason the clerk said it wasn't great in quality, etc. So instead I got a black cardigan for the winter and some gloves that Buster wont eat. Hahaha.

Does anyone know if those foam pillow things help with breathing and snorning at night?

• Good morning, everyone.

D&M, that sucks! When I was a baby, I had sever asthma. I was told no pets, no stuffed animals, no down comforters, not sweaters made of wool....the whole bit. 

My mom just cleaned things really well, and made sure I took my medications on time. Granted, I had a couple of trips to the ER, but for the most part, I made it :) So there is hope.

Charity, that sounds good! I love getting new stuff. 

Kryssie Speaks

Last updated 4/06/11

image Snortlemonster: Amaretto's siggy says: I'M A BLOGGER, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE-FEED IT TO YOU. And I have a secret life. And a sense of humor. And I am in charge. Sort of.
  • image amaretto*sour:

D&M, that sucks! When I was a baby, I had sever asthma. I was told no pets, no stuffed animals, no down comforters, not sweaters made of wool....the whole bit. 

My mom just cleaned things really well, and made sure I took my medications on time. Granted, I had a couple of trips to the ER, but for the most part, I made it :) So there is hope.

That is horrible.  My goal is to get T off of medication as soon as possible, even if that means re-homing them.  H has different feelings.  He wants T to get better, but he's not convinced that getting rid of the dogs will help that much.

image amaretto*sour:

That is horrible.  My goal is to get T off of medication as soon as possible, even if that means re-homing them.  H has different feelings.  He wants T to get better, but he's not convinced that getting rid of the dogs will help that much.

My take is that if you do some extra cleaning and such, it should be okay. I'm a believer that if you want to get over an allergy, you need some exposure to it. That's what allergy shots do as well. 

Kryssie Speaks

Last updated 4/06/11

image Snortlemonster: Amaretto's siggy says: I'M A BLOGGER, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE-FEED IT TO YOU. And I have a secret life. And a sense of humor. And I am in charge. Sort of.
    image amaretto*sour:

I think it is totally reasonable to try the meds and what you have planned with the dogs/house first.  If that doesn't help T feel better, then I think it is totally reasonable to rehome the pets.  I'm so against people dumping pets for stupid reasons, but having a sick child is a damn good reason in my book. 

GL! 

IMG_0888edit Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image amaretto*sour:
    image Desmond&MollyJones*:
    image amaretto*sour:

My take is that if you do some extra cleaning and such, it should be okay. I'm a believer that if you want to get over an allergy, you need some exposure to it. That's what allergy shots do as well. 

I think that's a pretty uneducated statement... Coming from personal experience, no amount of cleaning will cure my cat allergy, and I have had to endure being around them for long periods of time (years growing up) and I'm still ridiculously allergic, even with medication. Not all allergies can be "gotten over with some exposure."

• D&M, that's such a hard position to be in.  I hope that some extra cleaning will take care of the problem.

I was supposed to have a conference call at noon.  It's now 1:15, and I haven't received a phone call, an email canceling or rescheduling the call, or a response to my "are you still planning on calling, or do we need to reschedule?" email and phone call to the coordinator of the conference call.  I've made every effort to reach the person in charge, so I can be done waiting, right?  I feel like I'm chained to my desk...

Well that's not very promising. 

Stick out tongue

I'm half hoping that when my neighbors find out T's allergic and we're most likely going to have to get rid of them they will offer to take them.  Long shot, I know, but she did just mention opening up a doggy day care.  So she was planning on having them about 9 hours a day anyway, what's another 15?  Angel

Gah, I didn't mean for it to come off sounding so negative - I know that doing those things helped their son - I just don't know to what extent.  And every child is different in the severity of the allergy too.

• image KtotheO:
    image amaretto*sour:
    image amaretto*sour:

I think that's a pretty uneducated statement... Coming from personal experience, no amount of cleaning will cure my cat allergy, and I have had to endure being around them for long periods of time (years growing up) and I'm still ridiculously allergic, even with medication. Not all allergies can be "gotten over with some exposure."

Agreed. We have a cat. I'm allergic to cats. The only reason we still have said cat is because I feel SO FARKIN' GUILTY wanting to get rid of her. If Mere were allergic, the cat would be gone asap. I don't know why I can't make the same decision when it's ME. After we've been away for the weekend and come home, I can definitely tell that we have a cat. I feel SO much better when I'm not around cats.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic CafeMom Tickers
  • I am allergic to weird things - some sauce or something that Pizza Hut uses in their food so I can't eat it; mosquito bites (i get huge huge bumps); and some other stuff i can't remember. LOL

BTW it's so nice outside and my boss has the freakin AC inside. I am freezing lol

• image LVila:
    image KtotheO:
    image amaretto*sour:
    image amaretto*sour:

Agreed. We have a cat. I'm allergic to cats. The only reason we still have said cat is because I feel SO FARKIN' GUILTY wanting to get rid of her. If Mere were allergic, the cat would be gone asap. I don't know why I can't make the same decision when it's ME. After we've been away for the weekend and come home, I can definitely tell that we have a cat. I feel SO much better when I'm not around cats.  

I have to agree.  I know sometimes you can outgrow an allergy, but for the most part, if your body can't handle something - it can't handle it.

Hopefully a close relative or neighbor can take in the pets, so you know they'll be cared for.

My son had allergies when he was a baby.  We pulled up the carpet in the house and put down hard surface flooring -- for the most part he was able to get off of his inhalers after that.  He had 2 at that age, and now only uses them during soccer and baseball.  I think it's because that's watered with the reclaimed water, and the dust at the fields.

• I hate insurance.  when I found out i was loosing my job, my dr. doubled my anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill.  So I've been taking 2 a night instead of 1.  I was out yesterday so I took the new prescription in, and the insurance won't approve that dosage. 

Luckily the pharmasist gave me enough pills for last night.

And for the cherry on top?  The people I interviewed with yesterday says they're not certain I'm a good fit, and are still interviewing.

• image laurainMI:

I hate insurance.  when I found out i was loosing my job, my dr. doubled my anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill.  So I've been taking 2 a night instead of 1.  I was out yesterday so I took the new prescription in, and the insurance won't approve that dosage. 

And for the cherry on top?  The people I interviewed with yesterday says they're not certain I'm a good fit, and are still interviewing.

Hope that things get better for you. Did you take Cobra? What anti-depressant/anxiety med are you on? let me know because there are some that are pretty cheap.

• image charitylynne_1979:
    image laurainMI:

I hate insurance.  when I found out i was loosing my job, my dr. doubled my anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill.  So I've been taking 2 a night instead of 1.  I was out yesterday so I took the new prescription in, and the insurance won't approve that dosage. 

Hope that things get better for you. Did you take Cobra? What anti-depressant/anxiety med are you on? let me know because there are some that are pretty cheap.

I'm still working, but I'll take Cobra at the end of the year.  It hasn't been long enough since I lost the weight to qualify for a reasonably priced private insurance.

I take lexapro - 40 mg/day, but the insurance only wants to pay for 20mg/day.

I also take up to 2 mg of xanax a day - as needed.