Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Have you been to Bay City?

What's it like?  Safe?  Clean?  Friendly?  Are there a lot of things to do?

Re: Have you been to Bay City?

• Is this for an overnight visit? Something to do for fun.
  • image gvsubride05:
    Is this for an overnight visit? Something to do for fun.

Yeah.  I feel like I'm at a loss.  I want to go somewhere within a fairly short driving distance to a place we haven't been beforeI am open to other suggestions.  I literally looked at a map and picked that place because it's close and on the water.

• With T or without? When are you going?
  • I think maybe if you went in the summer for a special event then it would be fun. I just don't know how much there would be to do in the fall/winter. They play up their downtown on their website, but yet I see no pictures.

Let me think of some ideas.  Once I know if you are bringing T or not and when you are going, I might have some suggestions. Is this just for one night?

• T is coming with and it will be Oct 22-24th.

Thanks!

• Have you been to Indy? What about Wisconsin Dells? That might be further than you want to go though. Frankenmuth could be a good fall destination with T.
  • Are there any musuems you want to go to? You still have some time before T is going to hit the age where he doesn't want to sit in a stroller. Take advantage of this now and go to places like that. Put some puffs in his snack tray and you are good to go.

Some ideas off the top of my head

Frankenmuth/Birch Run - go shopping at Bronners and the Outlet Mall. There is an apple orchard that we grew up going to around there.

Detroit Area - Henry Ford Musuem, Institute of Arts, if you happen to get a "nice" weekend, you could go to the zoo. Just bundle T up and enjoy. You can go shopping at Great Lakes Crossings

Hmmm...I'm having a hard time coming up with idea because if the iffness of the weather at the point in the calendar and that T is coming along. If you have a good carrier, you could do some of the smaller, resorts towns like Petoskey and look around the shops.

• Thanks for the ideas!

Diana - we have not been to Indy or Wisconsin Dells - I will run those by H.  We have been to Frankenmuth.

Detroit could be a lot of fun.  I'm looking for a smaller townish place, but I'll leave it on the list. 

We had a blast in Traverse City.  We mostly ate, shopped and swam in the pool.  Those will probably be the top 3 things we do on the next trip.  Wink

• How about Ann Arbor? It looks like it must be a bye week for UofM, so there is no game going on. You could look around the shops and stuff. We always would go to Webers Inn growing up during President's Weekend for a mini vacation.

• Page GR Sweetpea in case she pops on. I know one time she had recommend the south east/central region.  It is known at the something "hils area"....kind of near Adrian, etc. 

Check out www.michigan.org for travel suggestions.

• image gvsubride05:

How about Ann Arbor? It looks like it must be a bye week for UofM, so there is no game going on. You could look around the shops and stuff. We always would go to Webers Inn growing up during President's Weekend for a mini vacation.

Awesome.  We have family there that we hardly ever see.  We could do lunch or something.  Yay.  That's on the list for sure.  Thanks!

• image Desmond&MollyJones*:
    image gvsubride05:

How about Ann Arbor? It looks like it must be a bye week for UofM, so there is no game going on. You could look around the shops and stuff. We always would go to Webers Inn growing up during President's Weekend for a mini vacation.

Awesome.  We have family there that we hardly ever see.  We could do lunch or something.  Yay.  That's on the list for sure.  Thanks!

You can take everyone's Trader Joe's orders and charge a delivery fee. That should pay for your lunch. :)   Be sure to go to Zingermans.

In case the weather is bad and you need an indoor location, there is the Hands On Musuem.  They have a preschool room that is geared towards infants - 4 yr old.

• Ann Arbor is a great choice. Lots of good restaurant choices. I second Zingerman's and would also suggest Grizzly Peak which is a microbrewery and restaurant. If you haven't been, Indy is also great and you'll be much more likely to have nicer weather down there. Indy has a fantastic children's museum, too.
  • image Diana Prince:
    Ann Arbor is a great choice. Lots of good restaurant choices. I second Zingerman's and would also suggest Grizzly Peak which is a microbrewery and restaurant. If you haven't been, Indy is also great and you'll be much more likely to have nicer weather down there. Indy has a fantastic children's museum, too.

How far is Indy?  5 hours?  I'm up for pretty much any city...I have a friend who just moved to Indy - it would be nice to visit her as well.

• image Desmond&MollyJones*:

image Diana Prince:
    Ann Arbor is a great choice. Lots of good restaurant choices. I second Zingerman's and would also suggest Grizzly Peak which is a microbrewery and restaurant. If you haven't been, Indy is also great and you'll be much more likely to have nicer weather down there. Indy has a fantastic children's museum, too.

How far is Indy?  5 hours?  I'm up for pretty much any city...I have a friend who just moved to Indy - it would be nice to visit her as well.

I think Indy is about 5 hours away. I think that would make a good trip for next spring or summer. You could stop in Ft Wayne at their children's zoo. It was awesome. Brian and I were so impressed.

The Children's Musuem at Indy is great too, however I would wait until T is walking on his own for that, because admission price is kind of expensive. You might as well get more value out of your money. The have an awesome toddler room that we stayed in for about an hour. The girls loved it. We stayed for 2.5 hours and barely saw the musuem. If the girls hadn't missed their naps the day before we would have stayed later, but they were baskets case the day before.

• Indy is on the short side of 5 hours. We make it to Noblesville on the north side in 4 hours. It would probably take another thirty minutes to get downtown. I think you would see temps in the lower 70s the weekend you are considering.
  • I grew up in Bay City. There is not a ton to do but I know a few good places if you still want to head there. And its cheap. You can email me... (Sfield58601 at gmail.com)

If it were me I would chose Ann Arbor (I lived there for 6 years - and love it!) They have a great kids hands on museum and Wiards Orchard is great this time of year. Decent Shopping and downtown has some good restaurants. I can't think of other kid friendly things off the top of my head..

• I second grizzly peak - great mac and cheese!
  • Thanks for all of the suggestions!