Atlanta Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Late night BC question

Hey y'all.

I've been hanging out over on the H&F board, since I'm on this running kick. Wink

A bunch of girls rec'd "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" as an alternative to chemical BC.  DH and I have been talking about going off the pill, as my mom had really bad fertility problems, and I've already been on almost 5 years.  We're not TTC yet, so it makes me super nervous.  Have any of y'all read this book?  Any thoughts on charting?  I don't particularly want to go over to the baby boards...it's scary over there. Tongue Tied

Just thought I might ask your opinion first...TIA!!!  And hope you all have a wonderful morning! I won't be on til after 11, but can't wait to hear if there's any advice. 

<div align=

Re: Late night BC question

• first of all, you made me laugh with your "I don't want to go over to the baby boards...it's scary over there!"DH and I had to basically use that method this entire month since my BC was super duper late in arriving in the mail and I had to go off of it for the entire month.  I'm in your boat though, i was stupidly nervous.  I'd never been so happy to see AF in my entire life.
  • I was wondering about this too!

• I have read TCOYF, and I think every woman should. In fact, I think every teenager boy and girl should have to read it as part of a health class.

NFP is a good form of birth control, as long as you are ok with the higher incidence of pregnancy. I would strongly recommend using condoms for the first couple of months while you get the hang of it. Remember that coming off BCP your cycles may take a while to regulate.

I would strongly recommend using FertilityFriend.com to track your cycles, it is much easier than doing the chart in the book, which just seemed confusing to me.

• image PuppiesAndRainbows:

I have read TCOYF, and I think every woman should. In fact, I think every teenager boy and girl should have to read it as part of a health class.

NFP is a good form of birth control, as long as you are ok with the higher incidence of pregnancy. I would strongly recommend using condoms for the first couple of months while you get the hang of it. Remember that coming off BCP your cycles may take a while to regulate.

I would strongly recommend using FertilityFriend.com to track your cycles, it is much easier than doing the chart in the book, which just seemed confusing to me.

Part of why I'm freaked out of going off BCPs is that I have not had to pay attention to a calendar in 10. YEEEEAAARRRSSS. HTF am I supposed to keep track? I haven't had to do so in so long!! I think I'll visit that site tonight. I'll be going from 4x a year to every month. EEK!

I gotta get that book too.

Meet Beyonce Jr.

Call me Kat =^..^= Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You could also try something like an IUD that doesn't have hormones. (Hey, I have no kids and will never TTC, so you can feel free to ignore my advice. Wink)
  • Thanks ladies! It's definitely something we are considering, and it sounds like we should read the book BEFORE making any big decisions. 

Sadlebred... Big Smile

<div align=
  • I was on BC for 12 years and two months ago stopped taking it and bought TCOYF. We are not TTC right now, so we will be using condoms for a few months until I get the whole charting thing under control. The book is great and really informative (actually can feel a little overwhelming at first, but dont get discouraged). All you need is the book and a basal thermometer and you're ready to start. I feel AMAZING since going off bc - no more mood swings and my sex drive (sorry if thats TMI) is completely back! Please give this method a shot - you wont be dissapointed! By the way - I actually met with my doctor about this before starting and she completely gave me her blessing. Said she has a lot of patients who are happily charting. My sister and best friend have been telling me to do this for a long time, and I am happy I listened!! Good luck!
  • image Sadlebred:
    You could also try something like an IUD that doesn't have hormones. (Hey, I have no kids and will never TTC, so you can feel free to ignore my advice. Wink)

A lot of OB's will 'not do an IUD unless you've already had a baby.  Can't remember why but it's not recommended. 
    I know several people that highly recommend TOYF for TTC so the assumption is that it would be just as good if you are trying to prevent.  I know you have to be pretty dedicated and consistent with tracking your temps, etc..  GL!