September 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

***SARGES***

I was just reading your post about Miracle 10.  We sell that at my salon and I have used it before.  

Here's my review:

I do like it but I feel like it's a bit pricey for what it promises.  It does do what it says but again, there are other products that are cheaper and do the same.  I do like to spray it in my hair after washing it and it tends to tame the frizz pretty well.  It definitely makes it easier to brush out your hair.  Also, if you spritz too much, it does leave your hair feeling dirty/greasy... so I don't like that... but I also think if you too much of any product, it does that. Lastly, when I used to buy it, I would divide the bottle in half and put water in the rest.  That helps with the heavy feeling and makes it last much longer (obviously).  And with this stuff, a little goes a long way.

If you don't like that, or want something cheaper, some good comparable products are Red-E-To Go, Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner and Jingles.  Basically what all these products have in common is more protein... which helps to seal your cuticle which therefore reduces the frizz. 

So I hope this helps you a little... And I like to consider myself the Queen of Frizz.... I have fine hair but it's ridiculously curly and humidity is my worse enemy.  

Oh and don't know if you heard of this but have you ever considered Keratin treatments or Brazilian Blowouts???

Photobucket
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
My Acme Box last update 3/28/11

Re: ***SARGES***

• image mrs pH:

Basically what all these products have in common is more protein... which helps to seal your cuticle which therefore reduces the frizz. 

Did not know this. Learn something new everyday. Hmmm....

image mrs pH:

So I hope this helps you a little... And I like to consider myself the Queen of Frizz.... I have fine hair but it's ridiculously curly and humidity is my worse enemy.  

Yes, this did help me out a lot! I've searched high and low for a SOMETHING to kill the frizz and Sunsilk was the best I found (and you can't beat a product that costs $3, lasts almost a year, and actually WORKS!!!) I've tried pomades, the Aussie line, hair Matrix and a bunch of other stuff but none really worked well. I don't really have a problem with product (except for mousse) making my hair greasy/oily, so I'm not too concerned with that. Truthfully my hair is so thick and curly that if I wash my hair on Sunday night and put the leave-in on, and sleep on it, I can go to Friday night without washing it; just combing the knots out of the ends during the week, and it still looks and feels fine.

image mrs pH:
    Oh and don't know if you heard of this but have you ever considered Keratin treatments or Brazilian Blowouts???

No, I have not. Tell me more please. Big Smile

And believe me, I could rule right beside you as Queen of Frizz and I have the pictures to prove it ranging all the way from 5th grade to now...I'm just too embarrassed to post any here....and the sad thing is the hair is the LEAST embarrassing thing about the pictures!! Stick out tongue

imageimage
  • image sarges05girl:
    image mrs pH:

Basically what all these products have in common is more protein... which helps to seal your cuticle which therefore reduces the frizz. 

Did not know this. Learn something new everyday. Hmmm....

Glad to help.  This is something I just learned not too long ago.  And I've been working at a salon for over 4 years... uhm yeah... i wish I learned that sooner.

image sarges05girl:
    image mrs pH:

Yes, this did help me out a lot! I've searched high and low for a SOMETHING to kill the frizz and Sunsilk was the best I found (and you can't beat a product that costs $3, lasts almost a year, and actually WORKS!!!) I've tried pomades, the Aussie line, hair Matrix and a bunch of other stuff but none really worked well. I don't really have a problem with product (except for mousse) making my hair greasy/oily, so I'm not too concerned with that. Truthfully my hair is so thick and curly that if I wash my hair on Sunday night and put the leave-in on, and sleep on it, I can go to Friday night without washing it; just combing the knots out of the ends during the week, and it still looks and feels fine.

Very jealous!  Do you straighten it at all or just leave the curls in?  If I straighten it, I could get away with this... but no way in heck could I accomplish this with curly hair.  

image sarges05girl:
    image mrs pH:

No, I have not. Tell me more please. Big Smile

And believe me, I could rule right beside you as Queen of Frizz and I have the pictures to prove it ranging all the way from 5th grade to now...I'm just too embarrassed to post any here....and the sad thing is the hair is the LEAST embarrassing thing about the pictures!! Stick out tongue

OMG, please lets not pull out pictures.  I used to cry over my hair.  It was such a traumatic experience LOL  It didn't help that my mom has normal hair, that you could pretty much do anything to. Doesn't go flat in the summer, holds curl, etc. Pretty much the perfect hair.  So I come around and I have this frizz.. she didn't know what to do LOL. But anyways......

Keratin treatments.... basically, curly hair is curly because it's more porous than straight hair.  For instance Asian hair, the cuticle is pretty much solid, not porous, which is why for the most part, it's very straight and not frizzy.  What curly hair is missing is keratin.  So what this treatment does is fill in the blanks where it's missing.  This is also, an "all natural" treatment so no harsh chemicals like other chemical straighteners or like the japanese thermal straightener.  This wont take out all your curl, but reduce it by 30% (I think this is right but I'm going off memory) and will take out almost all of your frizz. 

I have gotten it done twice and LOVE it!!

Photobucket
  • That is awesome to know about the Keratin treatments. How expensive is it and can you do it at a salon/spa? (Well, where else would you do it, but what the hell do I know about hair chemistry??)

And straightening my hair: not usually. I used to straighten it all.the.time. and it killed my ends and damaged my hair pretty badly. Then I found a ceramic wet/dry straightener which you use on towel dried to damp hair and it seals in a little more moisture than just flat ironing your hair and I'm in love with it. My usual hair routine: shampoo/conditioner in the shower, towel dry and wrap in the towel for 20-30 minutes, then rub in nickel/dime sized dab of the leave-in antipoof cream. Pull into messy bun and sleep. The next day all I have to do is straighten the short hair on the top/front of my head that I like to call my "bangs." 

When I straighten: if I want more volume, I straighten when it's dry and just very quickly to reduce the curl to a wave. Less volume and to keep it straight longer I do it right after the shower routine when I put in the cream. 

My hair actually looks/feels cleaner the less I do to it, so if I straighten it (either wet or dry) I normally have to wash my hair a day or two earlier than if I just leave it alone.

I will share one picture (well, 2; front and back). My best hair day ever. I have never yet gotten my hair to look this good, professionally style or not. This was from my Jr. Prom, I was 16 years old, and the lady who has been cutting my hair since I was born did it for me:

There's probably enough hair spray on that head to depleat the ozone layer over Rhode Island....

imageimage
  • The treatments can cost anywhere from $200-400 including the treatment and shampoos and conditioners to help maintain it. Expensive, yes... but worth it... OMG yes! Luckily, I don't have to pay that, I can pay cost but I seriously think I would do it if I had to pay full price.  It says it lasts 3-4 months depending on which brand you use... but if you use the shampoos that come with it, you can definitely get a good 5 or 6 months out of it.  So for twice a year at $200.... worth it in my opinion. 

Oh, and things I didn't mention before... It reduces drying time.  When you blow dry it... no need to go over it with a flat iron... I used to always have to after blowdrying to get out the rest of the frizz but not with this. I can blow dry my hair in 5-10 mins and it's pretty much perfect.  But after a couple months, when your hair starts growing in, you do start to get some of that frizz back (because the keratin is not on it) so I just go over those parts around my hairline... and its just fine.  It also helps that I use the keratin shampoo.  

Also, really big downside to this is you have to use sulfate-free shampoos.  The ones that are made specifically for the treatment are really good and lather well, so again, good to invest in those.  Another is, if you have soft water, it's not recommended you get the treatment done because soft water contains salt. Which this also includes pools and the ocean.

And I can't find pics of me of when I was younger online... and I'm reallllllly thankful for that right now. LOL It's good black mail.  I'll have to find some and scan them in.  You would seriously laugh.  I basically had a frizzy mullet from age 6 to 12.  Horrible, I tell you, horrible.

Photobucket
  • image mrs pH:

And I can't find pics of me of when I was younger online... and I'm reallllllly thankful for that right now. LOL It's good black mail.  I'll have to find some and scan them in.  You would seriously laugh.  I basically had a frizzy mullet from age 6 to 12.  Horrible, I tell you, horrible.

I could totally give you a run for your money. Long story that I won't get into now, but the hair on the top/front of my head is short (like 2-4 inches----not by choice mind you) and curls like no one's business. the rest is pretty long and from 5th to 11th grade I pretty much either had my hair pulled up or it looked like an Egyptian pyramid dedicated to the gods of frizz. 

And if you post one, I'll post one. However the worst hair pix also have a nice 90's montage of multicolored t-shirts tucked into multicolored elastic waist shorts and black tennis shoes with white socks....told you the hair was the least of the embarrassing items of my youth...

imageimage
  • OK... I will try to find pics.  We still have that stuff packed, but it's easy to get to.  So one evening or this weekend, I'll have to look through. Haha I'm excited to compare. 

I was always the only one of my friends who had my type of hair... it's so nice to have someone else who understands my struggle for good hair LOL.

Photobucket
  • Yeah, not until high school did I find someone else with hair issues like mine. She was biracial and hated that she didn't get "white people" hair. So she and I swapped product back and forth all through high school trying to find something that would work for us.

And I'm excited to compare too! I need to scan in my school pictures so you can see the hair-volution. I had really nice hair until I hit puberty and then it went out of control along with my hormones.

imageimage
  • Hormones will do that.  I also hear pregnancy can change it up some more.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen for me LOL. 

I'm bi-racial, also.  I have my mom's fine hair but my dad's curl.  I am thankful I don't have my dad's texture of hair. That would make my life worse LOL His hair is soft but it's still very coarse, if that makes sense.

Since working at a salon, my hair's been much more manageable but I don't know what I'll do when I stop working here. I'm hoping Dan starts making a lot of money so I can continue to work there, at least part time haha. 

Photobucket
  • image mrs pH:

Hormones will do that.  I also hear pregnancy can change it up some more.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen for me LOL. 

Indifferent

Well shiit...

imageimage
  • image sarges05girl:
    image mrs pH:

Hormones will do that.  I also hear pregnancy can change it up some more.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen for me LOL. 

Indifferent

Well shiit...

Did I just give you another reason to wait TTC? LOL Stick out tongue

Photobucket
  • image mrs pH:
    image sarges05girl:
    image mrs pH:

Indifferent

Well shiit...

Did I just give you another reason to wait TTC? LOL Stick out tongue

Besides feeling completely ill-prepared, having no money, and being scared to death, sure we'll add bad hair to the list! Stick out tongue

imageimage