Atlanta Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

So what's it like in Atlanta (to live, I mean)?

Smile NJ nestie here. DH has a prospective job offer in the area. Just curious. TIA

Re: So what's it like in Atlanta (to live, I mean)?

• I've never lived in the NE, so I can't give you comparisons, but I like it here. Generally people are friendly, and even though the summers can be steamy, we don't get snow!

Traffic here is crappy, but it's something that is mostly easily planned around. There are lots of great restaurants and plenty of shopping. The cost of living is lower here than in the NE, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of house you can get for a good price (if you buy in the 'burbs).

We have a lot of NY/NJ nestie transplants, they'll be able to give you more comparisons.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love living in Atlanta, I'm originally from Detroit, moved to the 'burbs to grow up with my family and have lived all over the state for college and as an adult. I now live in Atlanta, in Midtown. I really love it here. The vibe is great and it's near everything.

I do have to say you need to really live near where you work. Traffic here is brutal. I used to live 27 miles from my office and it would take me 1.5-2 hours to get home. Horrible.

The weather here is awesome. It's usually blue skies and sunny. It's been unseasonably warm this summer though. Also if we do get "snow" it lasts a day or so and sends everyone into a tailspin to buy groceries to last the winter. It's pretty amusing.

Also like WifedeAngel said the cost of living here is much cheaper and that may surprise you.

• The cost of living is so much less, We are renting our apartment here and kept our NYC place ( subleasing it for a year) and compared its unreal. We are paying a half here for a bigger place. Car ins is less H was paying 1800 a year and its like around 850 here thats a plus. I am still learning my way around, been here about 4 weeks on and off, but am settling in to a new job.

The people are really nice, It is proving to me how jaded I am. People actually say hello and its sad my first thought is no I dont have any money to give you or what do you want. I am working on the hello back and have successfully began to smile at people. ( SHOCKING)

• I love Atlanta. It's very different than cities in the Northeast, though. Much more spread out, and no dense city center like in NYC, DC, etc. Public transportation sucks.

On the other hand, the cost of living is great. We have great universities and great healthcare. Traffic is not bad if you live near your job. (My commute is five minutes. We bought a condo two miles from work rather than a house in the burbs for this reason.) Winters are mild, springtime and fall are beautiful. Summer can get a little uncomfortable, but it's just a little more heat and a little more humidity than you're used to in NJ. (Come and visit us soon--the weather has been great this week!) Some of the public schools intown are actually pretty decent (shout out specifically to Decatur Public Schools!)

In what area is your H's job prospect? I live in the northeast part of the city, about three miles from Midtown, so I can answer questions about this area if you have them. 

• image manhattanbride212:

The cost of living is so much less, We are renting our apartment here and kept our NYC place ( subleasing it for a year) and compared its unreal. We are paying a half here for a bigger place. Car ins is less H was paying 1800 a year and its like around 850 here thats a plus. I am still learning my way around, been here about 4 weeks on and off, but am settling in to a new job.

The people are really nice, It is proving to me how jaded I am. People actually say hello and its sad my first thought is no I dont have any money to give you or what do you want. I am working on the hello back and have successfully began to smile at people. ( SHOCKING)

I don't live in Atlanta so I won't be much help here, but this is so true! I am a transplant from the metro DC area, and it took me about 2 months to realize that I can look people in the eye and say hi without them asking me for money or food.  

• Thanks guys:) I remember when I was in Dallas thinking that it was a different kind of city than I was used to. Like to me it seemed more like a big town, but I liked it. Is that like Atlanta? Like I am used to Philly and NY. Is there anything historical down there?

So you can actually live in a "good" area IN actual Atlanta? KWIM?

DH is in TV and the job is for TBS. Not sure how I feel about it yet...lol. And it's so early in the process since he hasn't discussed salary yet.

I am also a teacher and a mom so I would need info on school systems. Is Atlanta its own school district? Are you guys regionalized by county? (Sorry if these are dumb questions). 

• image MrsEvans2Be:

Thanks guys:) I remember when I was in Dallas thinking that it was a different kind of city than I was used to. Like to me it seemed more like a big town, but I liked it. Is that like Atlanta? Like I am used to Philly and NY. Is there anything historical down there?

DH is in TV and the job is for TBS. Not sure how I feel about it yet...lol. And it's so early in the process since he hasn't discussed salary yet.

I am also a teacher and a mom so I would need info on school systems. Is Atlanta its own school district? Are you guys regionalized by county? (Sorry if these are dumb questions). 

Not as much as in Philly (my hometown) given that almost everything was burned during the Civil War.  But there are some historical sites that survived.

The school districts are by county, but the city of Atlanta has its own schools.  Be forewarned - teachers down here aren't unionized.  But there are some very good schools both in intown Atlanta and in the suburbs.  If you end up down here and plan to send your kids to public school you'll need to pay close attention to the districts - good schools and bad ones are pretty much side-by-side in some places.  GL!

Baby K ~ born July 1
  • I don't have much more to add to what pp's said....all of it is very true!  I moved down South last year from Grand Rapids and absolutely LOVE it!  The cost of living is significantly less and houses are ridiculously inexpensive here! 

It is true what they say about Southern hospitality...everyone here is so friendly and I, like manhattanbride, went through a similar culture shock in the grocery store!  Normally, you don't go out of your way to talk to people (up North) but down here, everyone says "hi" and smiles at you and genuinely asks how you're doing and strikes up a normal conversation even when they're strangers!  It's definitely a way of life you have to get used to, but I've only been down here (almost) a year and I've adjusted quite well and pretty quickly!

The weather is fabulous....the Summers are hot but I haven't found it to be unbearable.  The Winters are nice and mild, although it does get cold and we did get 8" of snow last February!  But the nice thing is that you don't have to worry about leaving early the next day for work because the roads may be bad.  When it does snow, it doesn't stick very long and warms up enough in the day to melt it.  It definitely still gets cold here but it's not the frigid below 0 temps you normally see up there, which is nice.  I was worried about it being too warm all year long and not getting to enjoy all 4 seasons, but that's not the case at all.  You definitely get to enjoy all of the seasons but it's opposite....up North, you spend a majority of the year with cooler weather and snow and down here, it's vice versa, which is nice!

We're newer to the ATL area...we just moved here a couple of months ago and live in the suburbs on the SE side.  We haven't ventured out too much but so far we love it...my BF is a true Southern boy from Alabama, so he's used to the way of life here, but even he really likes it!

And the ATL nesties are great!  Everyone is so nice and they have GTG's and hang out with each other outside of the nest!  Good luck with your (possible) move and definitely keep us posted!!!

• image musgral8:

I don't live in Atlanta so I won't be much help here, but this is so true! I am a transplant from the metro DC area, and it took me about 2 months to realize that I can look people in the eye and say hi without them asking me for money or food.  

Where in DC did you live? I am from DC itself and have found the panhandlers here way more aggressive. 

Anywho to the OP, Atlanta has it's pros and cons but its still a major city so the shock shouldn't be too much.Additionally, the Metro area is huge so I am sure you will be able to find an area fitting your needs.

Pro's - Cost of Living( you can get a great house and both adults working is essential as it tends to be up north), Number of Fortune 500 companies, Atlanta airport( You will be spoiled flying non-stop pretty much everywhere) the greenspace and parks, the feeling of community( I live intown) and there are many others.

Con's - Traffic( Public transit is a joke and its not a priority) , limited police presence, cultural activities available( however I am from DC, so this may be a very unfair comparison)  , there is an HOA everywhere, downtown( it seems to die at night and on the weekends)

"HOW many US citizens and ranchers have been decapitated in Arizona by roving bands of paperless aliens, and how will a requirement that I have papers on me make that not happen?"courtesy of SueSue
  • image MrsEvans2Be:

Thanks guys:) I remember when I was in Dallas thinking that it was a different kind of city than I was used to. Like to me it seemed more like a big town, but I liked it. Is that like Atlanta? Like I am used to Philly and NY. Is there anything historical down there?

I've only been to Dallas briefly, but I would say that Atlanta is more like Dallas than NYC/Philly. Most of the population lives outside the city limits. However, there are very good areas inside I-285 (ITP = "inside the perimeter", which is usually the line used to denote "intown" vs. "suburbs".)

Buckhead is in the north part of Atlanta, and is the ritziest part of the city. There are some more affordable neighborhoods in Buckhead, but for the most part it's one of the priciest neighborhoods in Atlanta. (Though it might not seem that pricey coming from NJ...)

There is a cluster of neighborhoods in the Northeast quadrant of the city that are all very nice, and I would consider sending my (as yet unconceived) future children to public schools in these districts. In fact, we do live in this area. Decatur, Druid Hills, Candler Park, Virginia Highland, Morningside, Inman Park, and Midtown are all very nice. Starter homes in these areas are usually around $300K (less if you are willing to do some fixing up) and go up from there.

From what I hear, Turner is a great company to work for. Would he be working in Midtown? Any of the neighborhoods I mentioned above are only 2-6 miles from Midtown.

School districts go by city, and then by county if you are in an unincorporated area. So if you're ITP, you'll either be in City of Atlanta, City of Decatur, Fulton County, or DeKalb County schools. There are good and bad schools in each of the school systems.

HTH! Let me know if you have any more questions.

• image manhattanbride212:

People actually say hello and its sad my first thought is no I dont have any money to give you or what do you want. I am working on the hello back and have successfully began to smile at people. ( SHOCKING)

LOL.  It's funny to me that a transplant might think this when I smile and say hello.