Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My neighbor passed away... :(

I just found out my dear neighbor passed away.  Unfortunately she succombed to her ovarian cancer.  Although we didn't know them extremely well, she was my gardening buddy - we chatted through the fence.  Her husband is so sweet.  They are the only neighbors around who ever cared to even get to know us or make conversation with us.  I guess he has been looking out for us to tell us, as she passed a week and a half ago. :(  I feel so bad for him.  He was bawling as he told me the news.  I would like to make him something or take something over.  I have a sympathy card, but wanted to take something else as well. Food? Recipes? Any ideas? 

Re: My neighbor passed away... :(

• Quiche is always good, you can eat it morning noon or night.  And it just needs to be microwaved.
    [IMG]http://charliesweblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_9813-copy.jpg?w=452&h=800[/IMG]
  • image RoxBride:
    Quiche is always good, you can eat it morning noon or night.  And it just needs to be microwaved.

That's always my go to when I take food to people.  You could add a fresh fruit salad and a nice card mentioning you loved to talk to her through the fence...

• Would you feel comfortable inviting him over for dinner when the flood of friends and family clear?  Her absence will be even more evident at night and on the weekends.  Or, if you have any gatherings at your house to invite him too. 

• Definitely some food and I think winecat had a lovely idea about inviting him over for dinner.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• image WineCat:

Would you feel comfortable inviting him over for dinner when the flood of friends and family clear?  Her absence will be even more evident at night and on the weekends.  Or, if you have any gatherings at your house to invite him too. 

I like this idea, although I'll be honest that when our elderly neighbor's wife died, we never invited him over.  He's in a nursing home now and I regret not being more neighborly now as he probably could have used the company.  If you do take food, maybe take something that he can easily freeze the leftovers.  And if he's elderly, take in mind that he might have diabetes and has to watch his sugar intake and diet. 

Married July 21, 2007

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone.  Quiche sounds like a good idea.  I have never made quiche in my life, so I will have to figure that out... I told him if he needs anything not to hesitate etc.  I might feel awkward about having him over, as we never invited him or his wife over before so it now feels like we are trying too hard or something.  Plus he is in his 60s- not sure what we would do....
  • image mouse10031978:
    Thanks everyone.  Quiche sounds like a good idea.  I have never made quiche in my life, so I will have to figure that out... I told him if he needs anything not to hesitate etc.  I might feel awkward about having him over, as we never invited him or his wife over before so it now feels like we are trying too hard or something.  Plus he is in his 60s- not sure what we would do....

My xH didn't actually die, but everything was so sudden, that is kind of how it felt.  Anywho, the most difficult part of the day was dinner.  It was most evident then what had happened.  It might seem odd, but he will probably welcome the company.  And, honestly, if you can keep offering company, friendship, etc. that will be most helpful.  He's going to be so sad and grief stricken that he probably won't reach out because he doesn't want to be a downer/depressing.  People, especially men, can tend to withdraw.  I think it is totally okay to try to hard during times like this.  :)