Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

BF advice needed

Little G is 6 1/2 months now and is EBF.  Won't even take a bottle (sigh).

He's super active now and won't sit still long enough to nurse, except for his early morning feeding.  He's never done the 20+ minute sessions, but seemed to get enough going for 5-10 minutes.

Now, he is technically nursing for 5 minutes or so, but it's more like suck-suck-suck--pull away and look around.  It doesn't seem effective.  After 5 minutes, he's trying to wiggle to the floor.

He is on solids 2x daily so I wouldn't worry, but the quick nursing-snack sessions don't keep him full for very long.  

Any advice on keeping him focused on eating longer?

I only BF one baby this long, but by this point I was pumping for the most part, and only nursing at night.  I'm clueless.

PHOTOS REMOVED

Re: BF advice needed

• Hang in there! He seems to be eating enough. You'd be surprised at how efficient some babies are (G sounds like DS, 3-4 minutes and DONE).
  • You can try nursing in a dark boring room.  The problem is that that is boring for momma too. 

Today on the breastfeeding board on the bump they have an LC that you can ask questions of for like an hour now.  Might be worth popping over there to ask.

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • That's hard.  DS did that for a while, too.  It may just be a phase.

I'd also suggest the dark, boring room.  Some people wear bright necklaces or scarves for the baby to play with while you nurse.  The only thing that really worked for us was waiting until he was pretty hungry or sleepy.  He was more likely to nurse longer in those situations.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • O was super efficient by 6 months and really only nursed for 6 months.  BUT, if he was turning into a looky loo, I'd try to have at least a couple of sessions in a dark boring room so I knew he wasn't completely distracted.
  • image Mrs.Greeko:

You can try nursing in a dark boring room.  The problem is that that is boring for momma too. 

Today on the breastfeeding board on the bump they have an LC that you can ask questions of for like an hour now.  Might be worth popping over there to ask.

Thanks - It looks like someone just asked a very similar question in that thread so I'll wait for the response.

I try & nurse him in his room when I'm home so there's not a lot going on but then he just wants to attack my hair, shirt, etc.  

PHOTOS REMOVED

• If he's got something he likes to hold onto, bring it up to your lap with you, let him play with it, cuddle with it, put it over his head, etc.  DS has, for a long time now loved to have a blanket near his nose and mouth, over his head, etc. when feeding (but on his terms, not for modesty cover).  He has also done pretty well recently with having a small block or toy in his hand he can see and hold onto. 

You could also try to walk around the room or area with him either before nursing or during to let him see everthing he keeps pulling off to look at.  DS goes through phases where he does it more than others, it depends on how tired he is. 

GL!

DS#1 - 8/2009
    CafeMom Tickers

my read shelf:
    Cindy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thanks ladies.

Ckloak - he is keeping on the curve for weight, but I just wonder if he's not getting enough because he wants more sooner than he used to.

Azuremama - the scarf is a good idea.  He's been going for my hair (painful!) so I keep moving it away from him

Schoolsout - my ped said he may start to self-wean but part of me is really hoping that he doesn't.  I'm with him more than I was with the boys, and would really like to BF a bit longer.

PHOTOS REMOVED

• image coloradogirl06:

If he's got something he likes to hold onto, bring it up to your lap with you, let him play with it, cuddle with it, put it over his head, etc.  DS has, for a long time now loved to have a blanket near his nose and mouth, over his head, etc. when feeding (but on his terms, not for modesty cover).  He has also done pretty well recently with having a small block or toy in his hand he can see and hold onto. 

You could also try to walk around the room or area with him either before nursing or during to let him see everthing he keeps pulling off to look at.  DS goes through phases where he does it more than others, it depends on how tired he is. 

GL!

When I'm BF in public, I use a Udder Cover and I've had to tuck it under him or my arm because he likes to play with it so much.  I'd much rather he plays with a toy.  ;)

PHOTOS REMOVED

• DS was the same way.  I had to retreat to a our bedroom where the glider is so he was away from ALL distractions.  By 6 months though he was pretty efficient and emptied me in a little over 5 minutes.  He wanted to be done and off playing quickly.  It's a phase that will hopefully pass quickly for you.
  • DD is in that phase now too. It's hard to nurse her when we are out because she is so distracted, and the pulling off is annoying!

Ditto others about giving him something to play with, DD likes to have a burp cloth or lovey between us and she tugs on it and puts it over her face.

Do you usually nurse him before or after naps? I usually nurse after because otherwise she wants to nap on me, but she eats beter before when she is sleepy.

I've read on kellymom that this is not self-weaning, it is just a phase they need to get through. I want to keep nursing too, so I just try to hang with it.

Also re: not taking a bottle, you might try introducing a sippy cup now if you haven't already. There's no reason you can't put milk in it if your guy takes to it. GL!

• It seems like you've gotten some pretty good advice from the PP's. I agree that it is probably a phase and NOT self-weaning... Self-weaning does not usually happen until at least a year of age.

I would add... try nursing while walking around (with him in a carrier). Also, try nursing while he is sleepy, or while you are both in a warm bath together. Any of those things might make him less distractible...

GL!

• DD has been doing this for months! The pedi said just to let her. If she;s hungry she will eat. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker