Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

text the person I was gossiping about!!

OMG!!  I want to hear stories of this happening to other people, because just the other day it happened to me for the first time...I was gossiping about someone and I accidentally texted the person I was dissing!!! 

I was meeting with a friend I work with at her house to discuss business and she has a 24 year old son who just milks her for all she has, dropped out of school, moved back home with her and "just can't find a job" so he sleeps all day and loafs around.  Anyway, it was 1pm and he was still at the house SLEEPING!  So, when we got in our separate cars to go to lunch, I texted what I thought was my husband..."Nice, it's 1pm and Mark is still at home sleeping!" but instead....it went to my friend I was just meeting with, Mark's mom!!!  

I instantly got a migraine and felt sick! Not to mention, she was in the car behind me and we were meeting for lunch in 10 minutes!!  I panicked and thought of ways to make it sound less MEAN than it did, but there was no way, I had to own it.  We got to lunch and she asked me about the text and I just had to tell her that I was texting my husband and mentioned what I said.  I honestly don't know if I have felt worse!  That was her son I was BAD MOUTHING as soon as I left her sight!

She was very graceful about it and mentioned that he's been getting on the right track and that he's working nights that's why he was sleeping, I apologized left and right and throughout the entire lunch, I was dying!  So.....I learned a big lesson...it is NOT worth it to gossip...especially not in writing! ; ) 

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116aea.aspx[/img][/url]

Re: text the person I was gossiping about!!

• No, I don't have a story about trying to talk about my friend behind her back and accidently saying it to her..
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • You sound like a great friend  :I
  • One time I sent a text meant for my FI to my dad.  Thankfully it was G-rated.
  • Okay, I'll throw you a bone.

My parents grew up in the area I live in, but now live about 90 minutes away.  Last winter a famous restaurant in the area that my mom has special connections and memories with decided to close down.  My mom has a winter birthday, so I asked if for her birthday present, she would be able to drive in so I could take her to this restaurant one more time before it closed.  My mom (and dad's) response, which I received a month before the intended lunch date, was that they didn't want to schedule it because "it might snow" and they "might get stuck in the winter weather."

I was a little annoyed that my active, non-feeble parents were turning down an idea a month before the fact simply on the basis that "it might snow," that I forwarded their e-mail with some snide remarks to my brother.  ....Only... I accidentally sent it to my parents instead.   Woops. 

*shrug*  I apologized. 

• Indifferent

I can honestly say that I've never accidentally sent someone a text that was supposed to go to someone else.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2s7tedz.jpg[/IMG]
  • I always worry that I will send my brother a text message intended for my DH because their names are next to each other in the contacts. It would only be "bad" if it was racy message I guess.Stick out tongue
  • Maybe don't gossip over text? Because even if you send it to the right person, it could be forwarded to many people after that.

Or, maybe don't gossip at all?

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/mmbdis.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/t6xkxy.jpg[/IMG]
  • I accidently text my husband nonsense all the time, meaning to send it to a friend.  He just laughs.  But I don't gossip too much via text, so its never been an issue like yours.
  • I think it is perfectly ok for you to be annoyed at Mark for taking advantage of his mother; however, it's sad she had to find out your feelings via accidental txt message.  My co-worker's son is the same way.  Totally takes advantage of her and she can't help herself or say no to the boy.  Eventually I simply told her face to face that he needed to stop being lazy and driving her insane.  She wasn't sleeping, worried all the time, stressed out.  Seeing her all beat up was awful.  Heck I started forwarding her job postings for him.  Thankfully, he started work last week and she's recovering.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • I think people are being a little harsh.  I've spent enough time lurking to know most of these ladies gossip-so don't feel too bad.  People are lying if they say they have NEVER gossiped with their SO about something a friend is doing.

I haven't accidentally texted the wrong person but I have e-mailed the wrong person. A woman that I had done business with several times sent an e-mail to me asking if I was new to the company.  I meant to send a snide comment about her to my boss (who would have thought my comment was funny) but instead hit reply and my snide comment went back to her.  She responded and was clearly hurt, all I could do was apologize several times and let it go.  Now I am EXTREMELY careful to make sure I am e-mailing the right person!

It happens, hopefully your friend will forgive you.  But I think since you have already apologized I would just drop it and move on with life.  It won't solve anything to keep bringing it up.

• Well, at least you learned a lesson.  Listen, if this person is your friend you should be offering her support to her face, not dissing her problems behind her back.  You apologized and she was graceful about it.  Leave it at that. 
  • Sue_sueSue_sue member
    5 Love Its

Bostonjen, that boy is so beautiful I don't know how you breathe.

OP, don't send catty remarks around in writing,anywhere. Lesson learned; this was unkind of you even to send to your dh.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • I got one worse!  I was drunk texting an ex one night about how I missed him.  He said you only miss me for the sex when you are drunk.  I said I miss your sex all the time...in drunken misspelled words.  I was a manager and sent this to my new district manager.  He is married also and it was late.  He sent back "I think you sent this to the wrong person". 

Lets just say he tried to ruin my career after that and never seemed to like me.

• Thanks Suesue.   It's a good thing too, because right now, he's testing the limits of my devotion!
  • image MrsRJC:

I think people are being a little harsh.  I've spent enough time lurking to know most of these ladies gossip-so don't feel too bad.  People are lying if they say they have NEVER gossiped with their SO about something a friend is doing.

I haven't accidentally texted the wrong person but I have e-mailed the wrong person. A woman that I had done business with several times sent an e-mail to me asking if I was new to the company.  I meant to send a snide comment about her to my boss (who would have thought my comment was funny) but instead hit reply and my snide comment went back to her.  She responded and was clearly hurt, all I could do was apologize several times and let it go.  Now I am EXTREMELY careful to make sure I am e-mailing the right person!

It happens, hopefully your friend will forgive you.  But I think since you have already apologized I would just drop it and move on with life.  It won't solve anything to keep bringing it up.

This.  I lurk too and I've seen plenty of it happening. 

One time, when I was still just dating DH and living with a "friend" I got into a bit of trouble over texting.  My roommate, her sister, and I made plans to all go out to a local concert in town with their significant others (DH lived 3 hours away at the time and couldn't make it.).  My roommate's SO was actually just a fcckbuddy and was completely disgusting.  He would always say and do completely inappropriate things that made me feel very uncomfortable.  Well, the other couple cancelled and I didn't want to be alone with my roommate and her nasty fcckbuddy so I also cancelled.  Apparently, I was supposed to be their DD and she was PISSED that I "flaked out" on them.  She went on and on about what a bad person I was, etc.  (This is before I had balls.  I would have handled the situation A LOT differently now.)  So, after hearing her yell at me about what a bad friend I was, I told her she could call me any time and I would drive into to the city to pick up their drunk butts.

Hours later, she called and I got out of bed at 2:00 am to pick them up.  It was about a 20 minute drive from our apt in the burbs to downtown.  I had to circle the block many, many times waiting for them to come out of the bar when she was the one that called me.  Then, they proceeded to get into the car and both hit on me.  They wanted to have a threesome, etc, etc.  I'm kinda a prude and this totally GROSSED me out!  Her fcckbuddy even grabbed my boob and tried to make out with me while I was driving and hitting him in the face!!!!  I was SO MAD!

The next morning I was texting my boyfriend (DH now) about how pissed I was about picking up my selfish roommate and how much of a dirty, obnoxious drunk she was, but I accidentally sent it to her.  She was literally on the other side of my bedroom wall.  I was mortified.  At the time, I didn't know how to stand up for myself.  Now I would never have picked her drunk butt up and if I did, I certainly wouldn't have driven around the same city block for 30 minutes waiting for her to leave and I would have kicked them out of the car and told them to get a cab if they were treating me the way they had in the car. 

To make a long story short, my roommate was so pissed off about the text that she didn't talk to me for a week.  I apologized to her at first, but later told her I wasn't actually sorry.  She was the one that acted like a huge douche and maybe it was just a Freudian text.  It was the first time in my life I had taken a stand for myself on that level.  I regret the way she got the message, but I do not regret sending the message, kwim?

Anyway, sorry that got so long, but you did say you were looking for other stories!  :)  I hope the situation with your friend is back to normal in no time.

• image MrsRJC:

I think people are being a little harsh.  I've spent enough time lurking to know most of these ladies gossip-so don't feel too bad.  People are lying if they say they have NEVER gossiped with their SO about something a friend is doing.

ITA!!! As if none of these women gossip or ever have. At least you weren't talking about the woman herself and I probably would have been annoyed of Mark as well since my sister is the exact same way with my parents. In fact, I have, on multiple occasions, been gossiping with other family members about what to do regarding my mooching sister's behavior and the messages have gone to her. Not that I cared because she needed to hear it all anyway. But I have also accidentally sent a message about a friend to that friend.
  • image EngineerAaron:
    One time I sent a text meant for my FI to my dad.  Thankfully it was G-rated.

hahahaha

Anniversary Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • I don't have one to share but I can see how easily it could happen.
  • One time I texted DBF (or so I thought) asking him to pick up Gift X for my boss.  My boss wrote back, "Sweet, now I know what I'm getting for Christmas!"  It was a pretty funny situation.
  • image nchambers1123:

image EngineerAaron:
    One time I sent a text meant for my FI to my dad.  Thankfully it was G-rated.

hahahaha

:)  I had a similar situation, except the text meant for my DH, then FI, went to my SIL .  It was a good night text. Thankfully I wasn't all mushy that night and sent a harmless "I'm going to bed now. Good night" or something like that. She text me back-- it was quite funny.