June 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I Just Realized...

...that I haven't updated you all on the move and such.  Can't remember where I left off, so here's the summary:

We're moving to San Diego!  DH is over in Cali already and has been since April.  His trip from VA to CA went well, albeit with a little diversion to Haiti for a few weeks (he left VA literally the same day as the Haiti earthquake and they got sent there to help).  I still can't believe he's been gone since January.  Granted we've seen eachother a few times since then, long weekends here and there (including our anniversary weekend!), but still.  The end is in sight though.  He's on underways this month and next and then once he gets back in September we're making the big move!  We'll be driving across seeing as we have a dog and all, so if you have suggestions for stops on a northern route, let me know!  He's got us a townhouse in CA.  I gave my apartment notice of our leaving yesterday.  My job knows I'm leaving in late August.  Once the movers come get our stuff I'll be heading up to MA for some time with friends and family before we hit the road.  DH flies into Boston and we have a weekend of sightseeing planned for when he first arrives so we'll get a little alone time before the family gets him. 

I guess thats the latest.  Hope everyone is doing well. 

BFP#1 11.9.10 (EDD 7.15.11) M/C 11.13.10 @5W1D
BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11 due to Pre-E
BFP#3 10.2.12 (EDD 6.12.13) MMC 11.24.12 @11.5w, had passed in 7th week
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
My Chart Recipe Blog
~All AL'ers welcome~

Re: I Just Realized...

• Wow, Junebug, that is great news. I bet you are glad to have the end so close!
  • You have no idea.  Its surreal to me that I've given my apt notice and he has plane tickets and hotel reservations made for the weekend he flies over to the east coast. 

Crazy to think that in a little over a month I won't live here anymore and we won't be apart anymore.  Lots of adjustments coming up between the move and us being around one another again, but man are we looking forward to it.

My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • So glad things are working out!

What neighborhood is the townhouse in?

I don't have much in terms of cross-country-travel advice (aside from the fact that West Texas totally sucks, so if you can avoid it, do so), but I've got plenty of San Diego advice! Let me know if you need anything!

Photobucket
  • I'm moving to the townhouse sight unseen (he's seen it), so I'm not too up on specifics.  I know that its in Mission Valley though, and that its not far from where the Chargers play.

We'll be going on a northern route to get across, so no worries about Texas.  Right now we're thinking MA to Niagra Falls, then Chicago (one of his GM lives there)...then we have no idea for the middle of the country...then Colorado and eventually finding our way to Southern California. 

Right now my biggest thing for when I get to CA is finding a job.  Still nothing in that department. 

My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • That's great news Junebug.  I'm sure its a major relief to you to be so close to the end.

As for the cross-country trip - sounds like you will be taking the I-80 route across Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa - I've made that route a million times from Pittsburgh to home.  Pittsburgh is a fun city if you've never been, be careful and watch out for cops in Ohio/Indiana - I got several speeding tickets through there.  If you visit the world's largest truck stop in Walcott, IA you will be about 20 minutes from where I grew up (but honestly I'd skip it unless you really like truck stops - its kind of like Wall Drug in South Dakota - a lot of hype but there's really nothing special). 

If you can, avoid Nebraska - its quite possibly the most boring state ever to drive through.  But if you want to go to Colorado, its the shortest way and Missouri/Kansas aren't much better.  If you want to you could drive north and go to some of the touristy places in S. Dakota - Black Hills, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore.  Come down through Cheyenne, WY and pick up I-70 in Denver if you aren't in a hurry.  In Colorado, stop in some of the ski towns along the way - even in the summer, they are gorgeous and have fun stuff going on but the prices at restaurants/bars are a lot better. 

Driving through the canyons in Utah is really pretty too but really desolate.  There isnt much out there at all.  That route will lead you straight through Vegas though and then you can cut over to the coast.

• I don't know how far north you're planning on going but if you come through MSP, let me know. I'd be up for a GTG or could give recs at the very least. The Rapid City SD area is fun but make it a side trip. I would argue that SD is the most boring state to drive through and you will be praying for a tumbleweed to roll by if you take I90.
  • I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that at some point there will be a really boring stretch.  Doesn't seem to matter if we pick KS, NE or SD to drive thru. 

Pretty sure we'll be more or less I90 from MA to Chicago.  From there, who knows?

My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • image hawkilady:

If you can, avoid Nebraska - its quite possibly the most boring state ever to drive through.  But if you want to go to Colorado, its the shortest way and Missouri/Kansas aren't much better.  If you want to you could drive north and go to some of the touristy places in S. Dakota - Black Hills, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore.  Come down through Cheyenne, WY and pick up I-70 in Denver if you aren't in a hurry.  In Colorado, stop in some of the ski towns along the way - even in the summer, they are gorgeous and have fun stuff going on but the prices at restaurants/bars are a lot better. 

Go through South Dakota and hit Mt Rushmore.  I spent field camp in the Black Hills and there are tons of neat things to see through there--the Badlands, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore, and Devils' Tower.  As a geologist, you'd like it all.

• image stephriz:
    image hawkilady:

Go through South Dakota and hit Mt Rushmore.  I spent field camp in the Black Hills and there are tons of neat things to see through there--the Badlands, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore, and Devils' Tower.  As a geologist, you'd like it all.

That was my thinking too.  I told DH that if he's giving me a choice between Kansas, Nebraska & South Dakota...I think I have to go with SD because of the Badlands and Rushmore.  I didn't know about Deadwood or Devils Tower.

My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • Plus, there's all the kitsch that driving through South Dakota has to offer:  The Mitchell Corn Palace and Wall Drug. 

Devils Tower is in Wyoming, but it's worth the trip.  

OOOOO! and go to Yellowstone!  Old Faithful!

• Devils Tower is pretty cool... we did the S. Dakota trip when I was about 12 - did all the touristy things across the state - including the corn palace - which is pretty cool and Wall Drug - which is a huge letdown IMO after all the hype on the billboards, went to Montana for my uncle's wedding and came back through Yellowstone.  It's a really cool part of the country. 
  • Ohhhh Junebug I'm so happy for you!  I am glad things are moving forward for you & that you and your hubs will be together again soon.  No advice on the cross country trek, but it sounds like you have some fun things to look forward to!!  Enjoy your time in the north!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers