Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Working out while sick?

I have non-debilitating mono.  I'm still going to work (although shorter hours) and doing most normal things, but I'm taking it a lot easier and I'm sleeping a lot more.  No fever, puking, nasty stuff like that, although I have no appetite.  I wasn't working out before, but I was just hitting that spot where I was over it and ready to hit the gym hard when I got mono.  Is there anything I can do that will help me tone up while I'm sick?  Just doing a lap or two on the stairs leaves me feeling a little drained, but I feel like doing bicep curls or yoga or something. 

Is there anything I can do to make me feel like I'm doing something that won't totally wear me out?  I'd love to try just walking, but it's HOT out there and the heat wears me out faster than anything.

April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image

Re: Working out while sick?

• There is a general rule that many women on this board follow. It is workout if your sickness is at your neck and above and rest if your sickness is below your neck. Although, I am not too familiar with mono at all, so I don't know how helpful this may be. Perhaps your doctor can give you some good advice here as to what you can and cannot do. Hope you feel better soon.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can so some at home weight workouts, situps, lunges, squats, jumping jacks, go up and down the stairs in your home etc. You are going to be tired and you are going to stay tired. If you work out in spurts, you will still be able to get a workout in, you will just have to stop and rest for a bit. Good luck.
    photo 23_zps55098dc4.jpgphoto 5_zps844d0072.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo rainbows_zpsb95a8e2b.jpgphoto dairy_badge_zpsf1627fb3.jpgphoto gooddrugs_badge_zps46a70739.jpg
  • I think yoga or pilates might be a good option. I always do pilates when I want to do something but I'm too tired/sore to do a "real" workout. And I still get sore from the Pilates videos I do! Or try a 10 minute kickboxing video. It will get your heartrate up, but if you feel too bad, you can always stop after that.
    Cook, Pray, Love
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    HM PR - 2:07:28 10K PR - 56:23 5K PR - 26:42
    Upcoming Races:
    3/11 - Tom King Half Marathon 5/6 - Flying Pig Marathon
  • Mono is it's own special case. Have you been cleared for exercise by your doctor?
  • image Sadlebred:
    Mono is it's own special case. Have you been cleared for exercise by your doctor?

I've only been to the clinic.  I see my doctor at the end of August.

April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image
  • When I had mono a year ago, my doctor specifically said DO NOT workout/excercise, or lift anything over 10 lbs.  I had to take 6 weeks off of work because I tried to work through my illness in the begining (tax season) and by the end of April I was useless.  My spleen was swollen and I couldn't move with out hurting, I was also really exhausted.  I wouldn't even think about working out until your doctor clears you, you could burst your spleen. We had two floors at work and by the time I would got to the file room and get a clients file and then go back upstairs to my desk I was spent!

Good luck, and feel better soon, but I definitely wouldn't work out!

[IMG]http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/arpreston18/mud2-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • I wouldn't work out unless cleared by your Doctor. My hubby was close to having some major organ problams..with mono... ask your Dr.