International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

s/o Offended by Yank

I haven't ever been called this or even heard it, but the thing that offends me (slightly) is that whenever we're in a parking lot and whoever is driving drives around the parking lot looking for a closer spot, DH's whole family calls them an American.  I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does- mostly because while it is true that Americans can be fat and there are far fewer places that most people can walk unless they live in the city, the Brits I see are fat too.  And I highly doubt that NO British people drive around trying to get closer parking spots...

Le sigh.  Sorry.  It happens everyday, everytime that I'm here (england).  Had to get that off my chest!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicInternational Nestie!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o Offended by Yank

• Ohh there are plenty fat-a$$es here in England.  In fact, I am pretty sure that the UK is the fattest country in Europe.  I'm too lazy to look up stats but I know I have heard something like that.  It was either the UK or England itself.

Plenty of the lazy jerks take 'my' parent and toddler parking spaces at Tesco instead of using the regular ones.  Alas, they don't feel like walking the extra few feet and seemingly enjoy watching me struggle to get my kid in and out of the car.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've never been called a Yank either. 

Along the lines of your post, my ILs tell me, proudly, "we don't celebrate American holidays like Halloween..."  uhm yeah, that one really isn't ours.

No amount of googled History of Halloweens will convince them otherwise.

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/i/ie6m2rqto.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • Yeah, English isn't all that far behind the U.S. in obesity. Comments like that would bother me, too. 

image aMrsin09:

Along the lines of your post, my ILs tell me, proudly, "we don't celebrate American holidays like Halloween..."  uhm yeah, that one really isn't ours.

I might get flamed for this, but I can kinda see their point. Although the history of Halloween goes back before the U.S. existed, I'm pretty sure trick-or-treating is a North American invention, and that most countries stopped caring about Halloween. It made/is making a revival in other countries due to American influence, not because of the pagan history, and is largely being celebrated the "American" way rather than as some kind of historical re-enactment of ancient Samhain.

That said, I don't see why they think their decision to not celebrate it is pride-worthy, especially if they are emphasizing that their decision is based largely or solely on the fact that it's an American thing. I mean, I don't care if people celebrate it or not, but if you thought it was a cool holiday and you avoided it just because of that, it's a bit sad.

• My IL's (and DH sometimes) use American as an insult at every turn.  I know it's just a joke and all but sometimes it runs thin.  Especially if it pertains to laziness or obesity.  Right- cause like I said, there are NO fat or lazy Brits!!  Ridiculous!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicInternational Nestie!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image lorryfach:

Yeah, English isn't all that far behind the U.S. in obesity. Comments like that would bother me, too. 

image aMrsin09:

I might get flamed for this, but I can kinda see their point. Although the history of Halloween goes back before the U.S. existed, I'm pretty sure trick-or-treating is a North American invention, and that most countries stopped caring about Halloween. It made/is making a revival in other countries due to American influence, not because of the pagan history, and is largely being celebrated the "American" way rather than as some kind of historical re-enactment of ancient Samhain.

That said, I don't see why they think their decision to not celebrate it is pride-worthy, especially if they are emphasizing that their decision is based largely or solely on the fact that it's an American thing. I mean, I don't care if people celebrate it or not, but if you thought it was a cool holiday and you avoided it just because of that, it's a bit sad.

Lorry, a quick search produced this:

The American tradition of "trick-or-treating" probably dates back to the early All Souls' Day parades in England. During the festivities, poor citizens would beg for food and families would give them pastries called "soul cakes" in return for their promise to pray for the family's dead relatives.

The distribution of soul cakes was encouraged by the church as a way to replace the ancient practice of leaving food and wine for the returning spirits on Halloween night. The practice, which was referred to as "going a-souling" was eventually taken up by children who would visit the houses in their neighborhood and be given ale, food, and money.

The tradition of dressing in costumes and masks on Halloween finds its roots in both European and Celtic history. On Halloween, when it was believed that ghosts came back to the earthly realm, people thought they would encounter the ghosts if they left their homes. Therefore, to avoid being seen by these ghosts, people would wear masks when they left their homes after dark so that the ghosts would mistake them for fellow spirits.

(http://www.thingsthatgoboo.com/halloween/halloweentrick.htm)

So nope, even that one isn't American.

My ILs were all rather surprised when he came home with an American.  They aren't fond and then I found out that most of my SILs info came from Micheal Moore movies...and hey, if that's your cup of tea go for it, but IMHO a bad way to form lasting opinions of another culture.  I just keep my mouth shut now,.

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/i/ie6m2rqto.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • image aMrsin09:

My ILs were all rather surprised when he came home with an American.  They aren't fond and then I found out that most of my SILs info came from Micheal Moore movies...and hey, if that's your cup of tea go for it, but IMHO a bad way to form lasting opinions of another culture.  I just keep my mouth shut now,.

My MIL referred to me as "that American" (as in, "Are you still seeing that American?") until we got engaged.  Shocking, I had a name, even then!

• image kellibelli04:
    image aMrsin09:

My MIL referred to me as "that American" (as in, "Are you still seeing that American?") until we got engaged.  Shocking, I had a name, even then!

When my MIL introduces me (a decade later) it is 'This is Lane, she's an American.' haha like a disclaimer or something?

• Amrs, you can google history all you want, but the fact remains that North America is the only place where halloween is celebrated now. Anywhere that has begun to do it does it under the influence of American TV. It and Thanksgiving are 100% American (now go and google harvest feasts to try and prove me wrong).
  • image Lane615:
    image kellibelli04:
    image aMrsin09:

When my MIL introduces me (a decade later) it is 'This is Lane, she's an American.' haha like a disclaimer or something?

My MIL does the same...however I sometimes think the way she says it sounds quite exotic, or she thinks people should be impressed or something...so I mostly feel embarrassed! 

• I don't know of anyone going around asking for soul cakes anymore, or believing that spirits will be fooled by their Superman costumes, so I stand by my original point. The traditions have been morphed in America and then co-opted the American way by other countries. It's seen as an American holiday by a lot of non-Americans who don't necessarily hate American things or avoid them, and I see their point. That's all I'm saying.
  • giggle. This is Lane. She's an American.

I love it!

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks, Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image PittPurple:

giggle. This is Lane. She's an American.

I love it!

Sometimes, if we're at an occasion that invovles food she adds...'And a vegetarian.' The WORST kind of American! Indifferent

She's actually quite cute about it, but still...I think we get the point by now.

• image Lane615:
    image PittPurple:

giggle. This is Lane. She's an American.

I love it!

Sometimes, if we're at an occasion that invovles food she adds...'And a vegetarian.' The WORST kind of American! Indifferent

She's actually quite cute about it, but still...I think we get the point by now.

my sil's boyfriend is from a very insular community. she had them and my father over for a BBQ (it's super cute, she invites my dad to all her family GTGs since i moved over here). they were totally overwhelmed "Jenn. He's JEWISH??? and a VEGETARIAN???" i don't know which was more overwhelming to them! afterwards one of them said something like 'he was actually very nice!"

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks, Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • "This is Lane, she's American" really made me lol.  

FIL think it's ok to talk about immigration in front of me and how foreigners are taking over the country.  I told FI it had to stop because it made me really uncomfortable.  

It seems they don't mean me, but the "other people" who don't speak English etc.  I said none the less I AM foreign and I don't feel comfortable with the conversation EVERY time I see them.

These things never come up with my family and FI.   

Pre English Reception Pictures at H's High School
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio
  • Back when my MIL used to speak to me, she would start many sentences with "its not the fact that you are American but..." She drives me crazy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker