Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

HR People - Maternity Leave Time Question

So how does this work. My work gives 6 wks of maternity leave. I had to have dr fill out the FMLA paperwork and I read it last night and it says that I am to be out for 8 wks due to C-section.

So does that mean that I get the 6 weeks and then have to take the rest as vacation?

Or does that mean that I get the 6 weeks and the rest is "sick" time?

I can call my HR person but wanted to be educated first. TIA!!

Re: HR People - Maternity Leave Time Question

• First, are you sure that your work policy isn't 6 weeks for a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for a c-section?  I think that's pretty common. 

• I think you'd need to take the additional 6 weeks (you can take up to 12 with FMLA I believe) as either vacation or unpaid.

I know my work would require me to use whatever I had for vacation first, and then my PTO would kick in after that...

• Do you get different time off for sick vs. vacation?  Our work does 6 for vaginal after a 1 week elimination period.  So the first week we have to take PTO or Personal/Sick time and then we get 5 weeks at 70% and then after that, we can do PTO or Personal/Sick or unpaid. 

Does your work pay 100% for 6 weeks?  Make sure there isn't an elimination period in there.  Ours is really only 5 weeks, I don't know why they try and spin it as 6! 

• Mine does week 1-3 is PTO or unpaid if you don't have enough - but it always pulls PTO first, then 4-6 is paid at 100%, then any time up to week 12 is PTO (first, if you have any left) then unpaid.

Married the love of my life 6/3/06
    Became a family of three 8/25/09
  • This may sound dumb, but does your company have to pay you anything?  I was under the impression at my work I will use my PTO and when that's done I don't get paid at all.
  • This is what it states "In the case of a medical disability, XXXX will pay your full salary for the first 6 weeks of maternity leave. Additional time taken beyond 6 weeks will be paid with any remaining PTO or leave without pay."

So basically I would have to take vacation? I just didn't know that since the extra 2 weeks is a medical instruction and not additional leave that I am "just" taking. If there was a way to use sick. We get unlimitted sick leave.

• image nkberg:
    This may sound dumb, but does your company have to pay you anything?  I was under the impression at my work I will use my PTO and when that's done I don't get paid at all.
    Nope. Under FMLA they are just legally required to allow you to take up to 12 weeks and guarantee that you have a position of equal pay when you return (may not be your original job if that's how things work in your company).
  • image mgyhra:

This is what it states "In the case of a medical disability, XXXX will pay your full salary for the first 6 weeks of maternity leave. Additional time taken beyond 6 weeks will be paid with any remaining PTO or leave without pay."

So basically I would have to take vacation? I just didn't know that since the extra 2 weeks is a medical instruction and not additional leave that I am "just" taking. If there was a way to use sick. We get unlimitted sick leave.

Sounds like you have to take vacation since you are not technically "sick".  Ask about c-sections, maybe they will pay that extra 2 weeks, it's just not stated in the basic outline of maternity leave coverage.

• image luvjon:
    Sounds like you have to take vacation since you are not technically "sick".  Ask about c-sections, maybe they will pay that extra 2 weeks, it's just not stated in the basic outline of maternity leave coverage.

Good call. I will call and just find out. But I am thinking you are right and i will have to take PTO. Dang!

• image nkberg:
    This may sound dumb, but does your company have to pay you anything?  I was under the impression at my work I will use my PTO and when that's done I don't get paid at all.

No they aren't required at all.  I think for companies over 50 employees, FMLA kicks in and you are allowed to take up to 12 weeks off, but they do not have to pay you anything, and they also do not have to guarentee your job back when you return..just that you'll have 'a job', but it doesn't have to be the same job....if they don't have 50 employees, then FMLA doesn't apply to them.

My company only pays PTO to certain employees...others have to 'earn' it on a weekly based on their attendance.

• image mgyhra:

image luvjon:

Good call. I will call and just find out. But I am thinking you are right and i will have to take PTO. Dang!

Hey- 6 weeks at 100% is AWESOME coverage!  Like I said, ours is technically 5 at 70%, and I think they do more for c-section, but 100% is much nicer.  Good luck!  I'm finally building back up my PTO from taking all 12 weeks!

• image luvjon:
    100% is AWESOME coverage!  Like I said, ours is technically 5 at 70%, and I think they do more for c-section, but 100% is much nicer.  Good luck!  I'm finally building back up my PTO from taking all 12 weeks!

You're right. Very True!

• That is great coverage--we have to purchase our own short-term if we want to get paid at all and that I think is only 60%.  good thing I haven't need it :)
  • Sorry I saw that you got the question answered about whether a company has to offer maternity so disregard my previous post edited just to share how we worked my first maternity leave.

My employer doesn't offer any but they do offer aflac coverage so between that and saving up all of my sick and vacation time and doing a little bit of personal savings while I was pregnant I was able to take 10 weeks with my first baby.

• njh514njh514 member

image WEDIN04:
    That is great coverage--we have to purchase our own short-term if we want to get paid at all and that I think is only 60%.  good thing I haven't need it :)

This is what we have. I know because HR explained why I needed disability insurance and why it's "optional" but they make everyone take it. Makes me wonder if "everyone" really means everyone or just "women." if you know what i mean...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers