Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Neuter clinic - or others?

Hi, ladies.

I was just wondering if anyone is/was familiar with the neuter clinic off of 50th and NW Radial Hwy (I think)?? My puppy, Charlie, needs to be neutered soon, and I had heard good things about them. Any comments or anything about their services? Would you by chance know the cost of a neuter of a 10 month old dachshund?

Any info about the clinic or any other possible vets or locations would be helpful. I'm just trying to get an idea of the costs.

Thanks!

Shauna

Re: Neuter clinic - or others?

• The cost depends on the weight of the dog. I think Pedro my chi who was about 4lbs was $75-100 some people like the clinic some people are against it. They don't do blood tests to see if your dog could have any complications. You still get the same pain meds to go home with. My parents have always used them for animals, I only used them on one of my chis cause the other needed some dental work while she was under.
    Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
  • I'll do it for 50 bucks.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would highly recommend not going there.  Don't you have a regular vet you go to?  Surely you took him somewhere when you first got him?

All neuters depend on the weight of the animal (as well as many other things).  Just call a clinic and ask them what they charge.  For my Boxer, my vet charged us a couple hundred - but that included bloodwork, two different kinds of pain meds, etc., etc. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't know if this is near you, but Dr. Hord, at Val Verde Animal Hospital 96th and Giles, is amazing!

If you are more north, check out Gentle Animal Clinic.

I want to say we spent approx 150ish, but he was already microchipped

• My MIL had her mini-schnauzer neutered there last year. I think she got a "low cost application" or something so she got a little bit of a discount. She really liked it and takes him there for shots too.

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the people - they were good with the dogs, but something just seemed "off." I think they did offer blood work, but they told her "you don't really need it." And seemed surprised when she asked about pain meds to go home.

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can still get the pain meds for them at home. I did, it was like $8 bucks for the bottle. didn't do the blood work, and did find out later in life that my chi had a heart condition. that's the risk you take i spouse.
    Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
  • image MissManda:

My MIL had her mini-schnauzer neutered there last year. I think she got a "low cost application" or something so she got a little bit of a discount. She really liked it and takes him there for shots too.

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the people - they were good with the dogs, but something just seemed "off." I think they did offer blood work, but they told her "you don't really need it." And seemed surprised when she asked about pain meds to go home.

That's because most people that go there, don't typically want to pay for pain meds.  Most vets nowadays won't allow surgeries without pain meds.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got my dog spayed there, and didn't have any problems at all.  MUCH cheaper than other places.  They do base the price on the weight of the dog.  I just know I got one cat declawed there for $50, and I took my other cat to our regular vet at the time and it was $120. And they both healed up just fine!
  • I had heard both good and bad things about the clinic, that's why I was asking. I do have a regular vet that I've taken him to. We just haven't been there since he had his last shots. I need to contact the office and see what their costs are and how their procedure may be different from the clinic's.

The blood tests would be a good idea, so I'll go ahead and make some calls and see what I find out.

Thanks for the info, ladies. It's very much appreciated!