Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

help me w/ house plans if you are bored

basically, i want a big rectangle house, colorado style with the kitchen, living room and dining all one space and its all lofty with all windows and a fireplace on the main wall (think ski chalet), 1800 sq ft or less (not including basement) and the main bedroom upstairs in the loft, 2 bed on the main level.

the only plans I can find r log home plans in this style - but we arent going to do the log home route. When we are ready to build, can I just take a log home layout to the builder, and they draw up the plans for a regular house? How much does that cost? I'd rather find it and order it online, rather than have someone custom do it.

I've never built a new home before.

Re: help me w/ house plans if you are bored

• Our builder had someone draft these things.  That didn't cost us anything.
  • how do you know how much something will cost before you even take it to the builder? Our budget is $150,000 - we already own the land - and there are things like the heating/air/furnace/humidifier that dh's dad will put in for us.

So, when you find a builder, do you say "price this out without all of these things that we are going to do ourselves?"

• it wont let me pull up the link!

Like this, on the outside: but the fireplace would run up the middle of the windows, not be on the side of the building

• Tiff - IF I was going to do it again. 

I would go to Lowes, Mendards, etc.   and buy a house plan book.   I would figure out what plan I wanted with whatever I wanted in it.   Then I would take it to 3-4 builders and get quotes.  

I would have exactly what I wanted in hand then let them compare apples to apples. 

• image smiles4ya:

Tiff - IF I was going to do it again. 

I would go to Lowes, Mendards, etc.   and buy a house plan book.   I would figure out what plan I wanted with whatever I wanted in it.   Then I would take it to 3-4 builders and get quotes.  

I would have exactly what I wanted in hand then let them compare apples to apples. 

This. 

You can stipulate in the contract with whom ever you go with what you want to do yourself and so forth (like painting, HVAC, etc).  Contractors are bitting at the bit right now for work so you should be getting a good deal.

• A friend of mine's parents just built a home on land they had owned for years when the retired last year. Her dad is an engineer and did his own desings online. I will check with her and find out where he did that at.

Thanks!

Our Fur-babies!
  • I have a friend who built a "prairie-style" home with ADC 2 years ago.  They initially were going to build a log cabin home, but then went this route. If you want her name/email address, I'm sure she would be willing to probably overshare all of this info with you.  She also has pictures on her FB account, so maybe I can somehow save those and send them to you.
  • I have a friend who builds houses if you want his info. He normally does 300+ homes but I'm sure he'd help out!
    Married 5/14/07 Momma to two amazing boys 6/20/08 & 11/20/09