Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Possibly moving because of work

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct area, so please redirect me if I am not. My bf has recently been talking about doing a lateral transfer for his job to Las Vegas when i am done school so we can move out there together. I guess what I am looking for is some advice, opinions, etc., whether you have moved because of a job or not. I really do not like the city we live in now, but at the same time I feel like we would not be happy if we moved so far away from our families. However, at the same time I think it would be a great opportunity for us to grow, learn and just experience different things. I guess I'm just looking for any opinions, advice and even any stories from people that have moved far away from their "hometown" because of a job.

Re: Possibly moving because of work

• How old are you?

Did you move away from home for college?

Have you lived in one place your entire life?

How long have you been with your bf?

Would you be obligated to remain at the position in Vegas for a certain amount of time?

image image image
  • Well I moved far from my hometown but it was for my DH not really for a job...I moved from NJ to Charleston, SC 2 weeks after graduating college because DH (who was my boyfriend at the time) had 1 more year of college down here. I didn't have much, so everything I was taking with me fit into my small Dodge Neon.

I was kind of familiar with Charleston since I'd visited before, so on one visit I checked out some apartments and found one I could afford. I did not have a job when I moved down here, but thankfully found one within 1 month of moving.

I thought I was going to feel more homesick than I really was. There were definitely times when I was sad to be away from all my college friends and my family, but I was happy to be near my boyfriend. It was hard at first to meet friends, since I didn't know a soul here. I was lucky enough to meet some girls that were dating DH's friends, one of them is my closet friend now and even my MOH at my wedding 2 months ago.

Is Las Vegas still within driving distance to your hometown? That helped me with the transition, its stil 12 hours to NJ but able to drive it.

• We are both 22.

I have lived away and currently still am living away from home for college for about the next year. He has never lived away from home, since he never went to college for his career.

We both have lived in Philadelphia our entire lives.

We have been together for 2 years and plan on getting married, but I want to wait until I'm done school.

We would have a year to decide whether we like it in Vegas or to come back to Philadelphia, with an easy switch. However, because he has certain certifications pretty much anywhere will hire him and he would be able to get lateral transfer to other major cities, like NYC, Miami and LA.

• image etkacz:

We are both 22.

I have lived away and currently still am living away from home for college for about the next year. He has never lived away from home, since he never went to college for his career.

We have been together for 2 years and plan on getting married, but I want to wait until I'm done school.

We would have a year to decide whether we like it in Vegas or to come back to Philadelphia, with an easy switch. However, because he has certain certifications pretty much anywhere will hire him and he would be able to get lateral transfer to other major cities, like NYC, Miami and LA.

I would definitely go. In the grand scheme of things a year really isn't that long of a time and the experience priceless. You're young professionals, this will be something you'll regret not doing. 

image image image
  • image Five_letter:
    image etkacz:

We are both 22.

I would definitely go. In the grand scheme of things a year really isn't that long of a time and the experience priceless. You're young professionals, this will be something you'll regret not doing. 

Agreed. Its a big plus that you have the option to move back in a year if things dont work out. As long as you are comfortable living that far from your homebase. Good luck!!

• image etkacz:

We are both 22.

When I read your original post, I was going to suggest having a back-up/back-out plan, but you already have it.  You both know you can move away from Vegas after a year if you want to.  Talk with him about it more until you feel more comfortable.  Easier to ask questions now before you move.  Ask him if you move to Vegas for a year, will he really be open to consider moving somewhere else after that year is over?

Also, where do you ultimately want to be when you and him start a family?  Do you envision being close to family in Philadelphia?  Does he?  It's OK to ask these questions way ahead of time.  He might say he'd rather live 2000 miles away from family when you both have kids, and you might not be happy about this, and it's better to get aligned now while you're discussing the topic of moving.

• Go and don't give it a second thought!

I can relate. Three years ago I graduated from grad school, lived in Wisconsin at the time and moved to Texas to be with my now H after we were newly engaged. I was 25, now almost 28. My H moved down here to be closer to his family at the time and was already living down here for a few years before I moved down.

Long story short, I just got a job and we are moving BACK to Wisconsin. We did not like Texas so much, but we would not change a thing. I have learned so much and we experienced a lot together and it made us grow. You are young. There is a such a big world out there. My point is, you can always move back but, you could miss out on a great experience if you stay.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/hx12j4.jpg[/IMG]

2012 Races:
    1/29/12-5K Mid West Expo Run 29:13
    2/18/12-10K Big Chili Run-1:00:57
    3/17/12-5K Luck of the Irish Run-28:15-PR!!
  • Neither of us really love it here in Philadelphia, so i can't say I'd be really upset. He's the type of guy that will do anything to make me happy, just as I would do for him. If I wasn't happy in a place, he would be willing to move. The only family I really have is my mother and father. My father of course wants to move to Florida when my mother reitres anyway and I'm holding her back from doing that. His family is all over the country aside from his mother father and sister. I can't say I really care where I am when I start a family as long as I have him by my side. However, I think deep down we would both like to raise our children being close to our families. And I am the type that is nervous about new places and things and gets scared wondering if they will work out.

• Just go, especially since you know you can come back in a year or move someplace else if you hate it.

It's a good experience to live someplace that's the polar opposite of where you grew up.  It's also not a bad thing to have some time as a young adult where you're far enough away from your parents that you can't just stop by for dinner on a regular basis.  It makes you a lot more self-reliant, and it also helps THEM to see you as a self-reliant adult.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • rori11rori11 member
    I was born and raised in California.  In my early 20's I had an opportunity to live in Colorado, Florida and Las Vegas.  I wouldn't change that experience for anything in the world. 
  • Go for it!  Just don't buy anything permanent with him yet (house, car, pet, kid...you get the idea ;).
  • Go!!!!!  It will be a great experience for you.  Even if you don't love it there's something to be said for taking a chance and trying something new.

Besides Vegas being a fun city, especially for an early 20something,  you have so many great places in driving distance- LA, San Diego, Phoenix etc.

• How random...my DH recently was offered an incredible job in Las Vegas, and we moved out there.....and both LOATHED the place so much that he quit and we moved far, far away from that godawful desert within three months!  In fact, we just escaped three days ago!  Be prepared for the heat, it's something else.