Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Help with dinners needed pretty please!

I just made grilled cheese and frozen organic onion rings for dinner... which was more cooking than I've done the rest of the week.  Sad

I'm making a grocery list and for entrees I have planned sloppy joes (lean ground turkey with organic seasoning mix), homemade quiche (nonfat evaporated milk, eggs, veggies, wheat pie crust), and tuna sandwiches.  For sides I have planned salads, veggies with dip, and fruit. 

I need help with other ideas that are easy.   I just can't think of anything. In the freezer, I have ground turkey and chicken breasts. Thoughts??  TIA!

Re: Help with dinners needed pretty please!

• Do you guys grill?  You could do:

*Grilled turkey burgers (flavor with chopped onion, worchestershire) with salad or grilled veggies

*Grilled chicken (marinate for several hours in 2:1 fresh lemon juice and olive oil, plus chopped fresh parsley and basil - it's awesome) with either a big salad or risotto or rice pilaf

*Get some not-that-expensive sirloin at the store and make kebabs with cubes of steak, bell peppers, mushrooms, grape tomatoes....I serve them with either rice or orzo with wilted spinach.

I could go on.... ;-) 

• You could make taco salad with the ground turkey. 

Cornflake-coated pork chops are super easy and yummy.  http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1536738

Do you like tilapia?  A couple sprays of butter, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper is all you need to make it delish.  Oh, and lemon wedges to squeeze on after it's cooked.  mmmmmm

Gazpacho is really easy and so tasty in the summer.  http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/recipe.php?id=107

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/msdi7k.jpg[/IMG]
  • We don't have an outdoor grill, but we have a little George Foreman indoor grill that works great for grilling chicken.  I could probably manage kabobs on it too.  Actually I think I have one of those grill things that goes over your stove that would work for kabobs as well.

ETA: We also make tacos a LOT, and taco salad.  We love that but I'm getting a little tired of it.

Amazing ideas!  Keep em coming!

• Stirfry! We had it for dinner tonight & it was delish!

ETA:  your frozen chicken breasts would work perfectly.  We like to use a little bit of sesame oil to help add to the flavor.  Then pop in some bell peppers, onions, broccoli, snap peas, use your imagination.  Serve over brown rice :)

no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • I used to do kebabs on our little George Foreman before we had a grill.  Worked great.  Just put all the steak together on one skewer and veggies on another since they cook at different rates.

I saw a recipe today I'm dying to make:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/dirty-risotto-recipe/index.html

If you've never made risotto, you could totally use the Lundberg Farms Parmesan boxed risotto (it's like making mac and cheese, find it in the organic rice area at the store) and add the other stuff to it. 

ETA: Risotto is my go-to meal base.  Toss a bunch of cut up veggies in olive oil, sea salt and pepper and roast, then add to risotto.  I have also been known to add sauteed mushrooms and onions, or spinach.  You can also do sauteed or grilled shrimp... 

• I have been SO bad about dinners the past couple weeks.  I made some teriyaki chicken sandwiches that were super easy.  Marinate chicken breasts in teriyaki sauce and grill them along with some pineapple, put on buns and serve with a pasta salad or some rice. 

We also like to get some pastrami (on sale at KS right now) and I heat it up in a colander over boiling water  to steam it and then throw it on some rolls with melted swiss or provolone and mustard if you like.  SO easy and so yummy

• image Tyrna:

I have been SO bad about dinners the past couple weeks.  I made some teriyaki chicken sandwiches that were super easy.  Marinate chicken breasts in teriyaki sauce and grill them along with some pineapple, put on buns and serve with a pasta salad or some rice. 

We also like to get some pastrami (on sale at KS right now) and I heat it up in a colander over boiling water  to steam it and then throw it on some rolls with melted swiss or provolone and mustard if you like.  SO easy and so yummy

Because of this, now I want a French dip sandwich!

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/msdi7k.jpg[/IMG]
  • Awesome ideas, thanks!!  This week I'll try the kebabs, teriyaki and pineapple chicken sandwiches, and stir fry, and I'll try some of the others next week.