Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Flo

I'm on Day 15 of my period...

I already have a Drs appointment scheduled for next Tuesday.

I googled it, and people were saying theres a chance you could be pregnant, but that makes no sense to me?

Thoughts?

Re: Flo

• If you have a period, you are not pregnant.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've never heard of a two-week period being an indicator of pregnancy, but light spotting can be an indicator. 

• I was once told by the clerk at a convenience store that the Vitamin Water I was pruchasing was going to make me get pregnant. Seriously, some people just have no clue what they are talking about. Wait to see your Dr. and don't scare yourself with any more Google diagnosis. I doubt you are pregnant though, shouldn't it be the other way around...you miss your period means your pregger?
  • image iluvmylab:
    If you have a period, you are not pregnant.

That is false.

I've been pg before and had my period and I know of several others who have as well.

However, in the OP's case, I think it's definitely a gyno issue and not something to ignore.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2s7tedz.jpg[/IMG]
  • Not to worry you, but my mom had a two-week long period before and it ended up being due to ovarian cysts.

• image Shadow42:

image iluvmylab:

That is false.

I've been pg before and had my period and I know of several others who have as well.

However, in the OP's case, I think it's definitely a gyno issue and not something to ignore.

You cannot have a period while you are pregnant.  The hormones of pregnancy  prevent you from ovulating, therefore, bleeding is not truly a menstrual period, but some other type of bleeding.  Prengnacy and menstruation cannot take place at the same time.  You can experience vaginal bleeding if you are pregnant, but it is not the same thing as a period.  I agree that it's a issue she can't ignore. 

• Sounds like a cyst to me. Try to take it easy.
  • image iluvmylab:
    image Shadow42:

image iluvmylab:

That is false.

You cannot have a period while you are pregnant.  The hormones of pregnancy  prevent you from ovulating, therefore, bleeding is not truly a menstrual period, but some other type of bleeding.  Prengnacy and menstruation cannot take place at the same time.  You can experience vaginal bleeding if you are pregnant, but it is not the same thing as a period.  I agree that it's a issue she can't ignore. 

I totally agree with what you're saying, and I'm not trying to start an argument.

There have been cases before of women (myself included) who, when asked if they could be pg, have replied "No, I got my period."  Sometimes, the bleeding can be heavy enough that you don't realize it's not an actual period.  In my case, my "period" was as normal as it always was, which gave me no indication whatsoever of being pregnant.  You're right, in the aspect that it's not an actual "period" - however, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you just automatically assume it's a duck and not a giraffe. 

Honestly, it's so incredibly frustrating to have someone ask me if I could be pg, knowing that even though I had what I THOUGHT was a period, it could still be true.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2s7tedz.jpg[/IMG]
  • I have had this happen to me for a couple of different reasons.  The first time it happened (and continued for 2 years....) it was because I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism.  More recently it happened because of a cyst.
  • image Shadow42:
    image iluvmylab:
    image Shadow42:

image iluvmylab:

That is false.

I totally agree with what you're saying, and I'm not trying to start an argument.

There have been cases before of women (myself included) who, when asked if they could be pg, have replied "No, I got my period."  Sometimes, the bleeding can be heavy enough that you don't realize it's not an actual period.  In my case, my "period" was as normal as it always was, which gave me no indication whatsoever of being pregnant.  You're right, in the aspect that it's not an actual "period" - however, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you just automatically assume it's a duck and not a giraffe. 

Honestly, it's so incredibly frustrating to have someone ask me if I could be pg, knowing that even though I had what I THOUGHT was a period, it could still be true.

Yeah, I get what you are saying too.  I just wanted to make the point that if she is in fact pregnant, it's NOT her period.  And it's always best to check with a doctor when you have bleeding during pregnancy just to be sure.

• I'm sorry, I've been there and it's miserable (mine was just having seriously whacky hormones, not cysts or anything- when I *finally* got mine as an older teen, I would be every other week or on two weeks, off two weeks)  Take it easy, treat yourself kindly, and let your Dr.  do the figuring out of what's going on- it's so tempting to google and try to figure it out yourself because it's frustrating and you want to know, but it can cause more worry than comfort.